Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

4 inches. When I was setting it up for welding, I noticed the swingarm was already bent. Must have been from a jump that landed a little cocked on the back wheel. But its straight now and should be stronger than stock.

It seemed like you didn't want the 250 shock on ebay and I got an email saying the auction was about to end,,, so I went ahead n got it. I took the spring off and the shock works fine, so I painted it and put it back together. I'll be using that unless something really cool pops up before I get everything together.

I called Falicon. $291 to have the crank blueprinted (trued, welded, balanced). Now I have to decide whether to use a +4 Vesrah rod (Vesrah is OEM quality), a standard length HotRod (stronger rod but no +4), or have Falicon make a rod any way I want (but I have to buy 10 of them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]). Unless I can find somebody else that can make a custom rod for me...... Or find 9 other guys trying to do what I'm doing, LOL. Yeah, right!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Just so we don't forget.....

Name:  Busted1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  Busted2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  75.4 KB
Name:  Busted3.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  77.1 KB
Name:  suzuki5.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  suzuki6.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  32.7 KB

That's OEM quality!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, was that a thrown rod?

250 shock, It did not seem like he wanted to stand by the shock by saying it was good. I am glad the gamble worked out for you. I have had a couple of $30 eBay gambles not work out for me so i did not want to take a change on another one.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

Wow, was that a thrown rod? </end quote></div>

Yeah, the first set was gforce's engine with a brand new big bore kit on it. You can see the shiney jug from Kustom Kraft in the pics. Its a real shame! He only rode it a couple of times before that happened.

I forgot who the other pics belong to. But both those rods broke in the same week. Weird. So, considering how much money I'm dumping in this quad, the last thing I want to skimp on is the rod.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
250 shock, It did not seem like he wanted to stand by the shock by saying it was good. I am glad the gamble worked out for you. I have had a couple of $30 eBay gambles not work out for me so i did not want to take a change on another one.</end quote></div>

Yeah, the guy just got a big box of stuff and he had no idea if it was any good or not. I was just counting on 250 parts never seem to be used much. The swingarm usually goes and the chain cracks the case and that's it. The rest of the quad is still in pretty good shape.... usually. I can't say the same about 230 parts though. Those are usually beat to crap.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Well, if none of these pics inspire any conversation, I give up.....</end quote></div>

Excellent inspiration.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I have a similar table like most...but not so neat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and have the same case, but without the cool kaleidoscope view! If the temperature drops below 100 this weekend I will need to catch up
Thanks!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh, Gforce, that broke my heart to see those pix the first time...

i'm not so glum lately, got a few side jobs, some fun money, so the turd is safe for now.. Bless my wife's heart, she brought me around on it! Got tired of me being such a **** about everything, and brought me back to reality!! The turd is WAY paid for, it doesn't take up much space, and I love the dang thing, keep it! PLUS!!! she TOLD me to call the boys and go to Nevada riding for at least 3 days, SOON!!

Last weekend of the month, boys ride again!! Randy saw the pix from last time, fun, fun , fun!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

They're saying the temp will feel like 100 around here this weekend. A good time to hibernate in the garage under the AC. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

All this work I'm doing will be for nothing if I can't decide on a rod. One thing I have made my mind up on is I really want the longer +4 rod. If Suzuki decided a longer rod was in order when they made the 250 out of the 230, who am I to argue??? So, that means sending the crank off to Vince for the Vesrah rod and then sending it off to Falicon for balancing and welding. Either that or design my own rod and order 10 of them. Anyone wanna buy a long rod??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'm glad things are looking up for you PG! Are you going to start fixin the ole girl up? How's the welding coming? Done any of that lately???

Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

I guess I am a bit of a drama queen when things aren't going my way![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Sorry.

The 230 sits as is for now. No time or $ to mess with it.. I will again.. But when? I dunno!

I am a welding fool! Getting pretty darn good at it as well!! Working on a cool lil project for the toyhauler as we speak. Don't have an onboard generator and draggin the 2400k yamaha in and out of the back was getting old....

There is a "void" underneath on the back corner of the trailer, with a few mods, the perfect fit for the generator.. when I am done, the generator will drop down, (slowly with aid of hydraulic pistons) and pull out horizontaly about 2 feet for easy access.. Should be pretty cool and convenient.

Was getting pretty cocky about my welding with my friend the other day, he invites me over for dinner and a few drinks... Go out to the garage, and he starts welding up some aluminum, parts for his rock crawler........ MADE me give it a shot.............................................. .

You are correct, only the gods can weld aluminum!!!!

At todays prices, I'll bet I destroyed $100 of material!!!

Same guy that is building the huge pond I told you about by the way.. it is on hold till this economy turns around.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, the best I can do with AL is make it ball up and roll off! I weighed the 230 frame.... Its only 40lbs so AL welding is out for me for now. What could I save??? 20lbs??? Not worth a $600 welder and all the cost of AL and labor.

I found a 1987 beauty for sale in mint condition. Not a scratch on it. If the price is right, I'll be baggin that babe!

As for the rod on the 230, I think I'm just going to sink the $130 in it and let Vince put the long Vesrah rod on and that's it. Otherwise, Carrillo can make a $300 rod for me and take 6 weeks to do it and then Falicon can balance the crank for another $300. $600 is too much for just piece of mind. I'm leaning towards the $130 gamble of throwing the rod. Especially if I get the little jewel I been eyeing! So, the 230 project has an end in sight..... Yay!

Glad to hear you're doing good things with steel. The generator project sounds cool. Hard not to be cool when hydraulics are involved! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I don't know when my pond will be done. I've done an about-face in attitude. Before I was a work-a-holic, but now I just want to ride n have fun. Tis the season I guess.... Why fight it?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

RANDY, that swingarm is f"n hot!! looks like you have a similar process as myself for making old parts beautiful again. I have had major problems this week with the biz. I am buying out my partner (becuase he sucks). I have been busy as hell with this moto4 project in the middle of it. I think my e-bay store is gonna take a hit. I have lost items and a dispute. This guy took a few things I had listed and took a load of stuff to the scrapyard while I was in indiana. This load had parts that I would not consider crap, But whatever. It is so hard to find good help. I will be hiring a guy in a week or two. Then I have a paid employee instead of a partner. I am glad for that. If anyone wants to start a buiseness I strongly suggest you do it on your own and struggle for a bit, then at least its yours. Sorry I am babblin again.

I hope that the gem your lookin at works out for ya randy. I still have this 230 on hold I am gonna purchase. I will be pating it out for the biz.

I will post some pics of the moto4 tomorrow. I wish that I had taken more progresive pics. I have a few of parts and I am gonna take some in the morning of it together. I started it two days ago for the first time on the rebuild. Purrs so nice. hopefully I can deliver it wed.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.