Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

I thought I should fill you guys in, a week ago I took a NASTY spill off my BMX bike....So I was out riding my BMX bike with some friends (thank god for them) on wednesday night. so we were pretty much done for the day, but while driving around i saw this gap that that i just had to try. it was like this set of parking lots built into a hill so between each parking lot there was an elevation gap. the particular gap i was trying was like 6-7 feet down and another 6-7 feet out. so i gave it a test run not even trying to clear it, just to feel it out and i almost made it, i came up like 1/2 bike length short. that gave me a boost of confidence so i had to try it again. this time i get alot of speed 20-25mph and go for it. i dont know exactly waht i did wrong, but i hit the curb at the top with my front tire and just flew over the bars. my body had hit first, then i hit my chin and face. 10 minutes later i was in an ambulance. I dont remember the first 10 minutes after the wreck my my friends said i was conscious the whole time and even tried to get up....now onto my list of injuries. My right shoulder and right wrist are sprained really badly, with road rash on top of it, i also got road rash on my left hand elbow and knee. i knocked my 2 front teeth out, but they got put back in with a 40% chance of taking, i also chipped the two teeth to my right to almost non existence. i figure there are 40-60 stitches on my face, and i broke some part of my nose.

</end quote></div>

DUDE! wear a fu@kin helmet!!!

Come on man, you need to learn from us old folks.....

Jump the gap, fly the triple when they expect a double, go bigger the yer friends all that macho ****.. but wear the stuff to survive impact!!!!

I am 38 years old, I have WAY over 50 breaks of bones (Evil Kinevil only had like 40, but atleast he got PAID)

Be a tuff guy like me, and wake up every morning and soke your hands in hot water for 10 minutes just so you can grip the tooth brush to get rid of your stink breath to brush yer FAKE teeth!

Got a fake left knee, 6 or 7 ortho's on the right,8 on the left b4 reconstruction, rotator cuff surgerey on both shoulders, 4.2 oz of stainless screws and pins in my left anckle, 2oz in the right.

3 surgeries on my broken neck, 2 two on my broken pelvis, 4 broken collar bones. And MANY more I have blocked from memory!!!

Moral of the story is............ Go big or go home!!! But wear the right ****!!!
Your protection should be as big as yer ballzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

A lesson I learned WAY to late!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

He was on a bicycle though... He normally wears a helmet on his motorcycle (as far as I know).

Your protection should definitely be as big as yer ballz!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I was on my bicycle, a bicycle helmet wouldn't have done much. I'm always geared up on my dirtbike, helmet, riding boots, and chest protector.

Well I had zero protection, but far from zero ballz lol!

I definetly had a wake up call from this

Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I think what he's trying to say is his ballz got a little smaller and his brain got a little bigger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just kiddin!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine, my age, WAY closer to 40 than 30, rides BMX bikes and trials bikes, and dirt bikes and quads, for that matter.... He does all the crap you see on TV, backflips and all.... BUT he does it for fun! he swears the best lesson he ever learned on these things was slapping his face in the pavement. Started wearing full face helmets and all the gear real soon after. Took me a while to figure out the if he is doing it, I better! Especailly cause his skill level was far above mine!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Well fellas... Got some bad news. A 32mm carb is simply too big for a 246cc 4-cycle 9.2:1 engine. You can make it work, but its probably a compromise and doesn't seem like the way to make the most power. There is simply no way to tune that big of a carb for free-flowing air... even with a dial-a-jet. You'd need some kind of supplemental fuel injection. I might try a primary needle-jet that works for low vacuum 2-strokes, but I'm not expecting it to do much better.

My main jet is now drilled bigger than the needle-jet... Which doesn't make any sense. So, basically, you can say I have no main jet at all and I STILL need more gas. The needle also pulls all the way out of the needle jet, and I STILL need more gas. I drilled the dial-a-jet out and I STILL need more gas. The only way I can make this work is to cover most of the air filter with a plastic bag to increase vacuum on the jet... And restricting air doesn't seem like the best way to make power. I mean, what's the point of having that big of a carb if I have to restrict it???

A 30mm may work... A 28mm may be better... I don't know. Come to think of it, the 32mm didn't work all that well on the 290cc Lakota either, but I really didn't put all the effort in it I did the quadsport. At least the lakota did rev out fully though... It just wouldn't take gas fast enough to wheelie.

Now, I'm not saying a 32mm with a restricted air filter is weak. Anything but, mine runs out pretty strong, but I think I could do better with a smaller carb and less filter restriction.

I'll post the carb jetting I'm using tomorrow in case anyone is still interested. My notes are in the garage and I'm already inside for the night eating ice cream.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My jetting for the 32mm is: a 176 bleed type needle-jet labeled O-8 that I drilled to a point that a .1055 rod slides in the hole with slight drag and a .1061 rod fits really tight. So that's somewhere between a P-6 and Q-0.

The main jet I drilled with a #35 bit that I measured with a micrometer at .1097.

The pilot I ended up with was a 15.

The needle was a 5L1 on the middle clip.

I drilled the dial-a-jet from .040 to .055 and had it on its richest setting.

This combo worked so long as there was enough air filter restriction.

Now, I've gone back to the 28mm with no filter restriction. It has a .0858 (#44) main jet, P-8 bleed type needle-jet, #10 pilot, and a 5L1 needle on the top clip. No dial-a-jet yet. Its rich on the needle, but the main is pretty close. I'm going to order a smaller needle-jet tomorrow and we'll see how it does then. Based on the amount I had to drill the main on the 28mm carb, I'm betting that's about as big of a carb as you can go with an engine like mine. Too bad too,,, there's a lot of work that went down the drain. Oh well....

The next step, once the 28 is dialed in, is to compare the cams, pick the best one and spend the rest of the year trying to wear the cylinder out so I can bore it and install the Arias 10.5:1, 1mm over piston. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Arias? What is that?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, I never heard of them either...

http://www.ariaspistons.com/

I found a 69.5mm Arias piston on ebay for $60. Only for the 17mm wrist pin of the 250 though. Won't work in the 230. Its 10.5:1 and comes with a birth certificate which includes all specs and weight! Very cool! If I can, I'll never buy wiseco again. Arias pays much more attention to detail, even machining the parts wiseco doesn't like the bottom inside of the piston. They are more friendly to deal with as well. I can't wait to wear my cylinder out so I can use it, lol.

Oh, and it came in a White Bros box. Another + in my book.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am about to buy this LT230 Quad Sport fourwheeler but i am wondering how can i find out the exact date on it cuz i think the atv is hot they buzzed off all of the numbers so how can i tell!! Is there something that only one year has or what please help thanx!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.