Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I saw was it appeared like oil coming from the bolts in the valve cover and dripping all over the rest of the engine. That and it sounded like an ill-tuned carb. Hard to tell without hearing it in person.

What exactly are the symptoms? What's the trouble that you'd go thru all the effort to post videos?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Only thing I saw was it appeared like oil coming from the bolts in the valve cover and dripping all over the rest of the engine. That and it sounded like an ill-tuned carb. Hard to tell without hearing it in person.

What exactly are the symptoms? What's the trouble that you'd go thru all the effort to post videos?
Yeah, we didn't have any liquid gasket on us at the time so we didn't get a chance to re-seal the cover.

And yeah, ill-tuned carb is what the diagnosis is at this point.

Well we got it from a guy who didn't seem to know a whole lot about ATVs and he said he had rebuilt the carb. Well, I pulled the carb apart and he re-built it with all the stock jets. The wheeler has a DG pipe and drilled out air-box lid, so I'm thinking its just starving for fuel. I moved the needle up a notch (to the 2nd notch from the bottom) and could get it to start by rolling it down our steep driveway; which was better than when we had to pull it forever. Still just won't kick start for anything, even when its hot. Its got spark, air, and lots of compression, so that leaves fuel.

Videos aren't any harder to post than pics are, they just take a little longer to upload.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Yeah, we didn't have any liquid gasket on us at the time so we didn't get a chance to re-seal the cover.

And yeah, ill-tuned carb is what the diagnosis is at this point.

Well we got it from a guy who didn't seem to know a whole lot about ATVs and he said he had rebuilt the carb. Well, I pulled the carb apart and he re-built it with all the stock jets. The wheeler has a DG pipe and drilled out air-box lid, so I'm thinking its just starving for fuel. I moved the needle up a notch (to the 2nd notch from the bottom) and could get it to start by rolling it down our steep driveway; which was better than when we had to pull it forever. Still just won't kick start for anything, even when its hot. Its got spark, air, and lots of compression, so that leaves fuel.

Videos aren't any harder to post than pics are, they just take a little longer to upload.
One of these days somebody is going to have the same problem I did. I tried everything to get my quad to start up. I got so pissed I was just about through with quadsports unless they had starters. Once it got warm, it would not start for anything unless it was pulled off. Eventually, I found the problem. It was the magneto coil. I guess when it got hot it wouldn't give enough juice to start the engine unless you could really get it spinning fast.

There's just no way to know if yours is bad or not. The ohms could check out ok and your spark will look fine. If all else fails, check that coil I guess.

Btw, the needle shouldn't have anything to do with starting it. You can take the needle out and a properly tuned carb will still idle. Try running some wire thru the pilot jet to get it really clean.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Well I think the needle did make a difference because I have to juice the throttle quite a bit to get it to fire.

I had all the jets out and they are perfectly clean. So I think I'm just going to try more fuel.

And yeah, MY 230 will sometimes be a pain to start hot. But usually if I kick it with the throttle open a bit, she'll fire for me.

So you've been having some shotty weather down there?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, as soon as the top of the ground dries a little, it rains for 3 days! I think we've recovered from 5 yrs of drought in the last 6 months. Seriously.

Temps ain't bad though... Its 56 at 2am.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Beats 35 at 1. Pond slowly turning into a lake?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Its a lake and that's after I spent a week sucking the water out!

Nice n green around here though. Flowers everywhere. I've already had to cut the grass and I can't keep up with the honeysuckle growing into my blueberry bushes. Vile weed! Smells good for a few weeks in the spring, but it kills trees and is a big mess and can't get rid of it for anything.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey PG, are nunchucks illegal in Cali? I just watched a show on TruTV where cops had a warrant, found drugs and a set of nunchucks that the narrator said was illegal. Wtf? 2 sticks tied together is illegal??? Where's the disgust icon on this new forum? I'd like to use it about now!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I guess so: http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=456

What a joke! I don't see how a judge in good conscience could pass a sentence on a possession charge like that. Just silly!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Hey PG, are nunchucks illegal in Cali? I just watched a show on TruTV where cops had a warrant, found drugs and a set of nunchucks that the narrator said was illegal. Wtf? 2 sticks tied together is illegal??? Where's the disgust icon on this new forum? I'd like to use it about now!
Go into your control panel and at the bottom of the edit options menu you can select the advanced input window. All the smilies and stuff are back then.

That's ridiculous about nunchucks. Almost seems like a joke that got out of hand!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.