Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Th

Maybe a family of snowy plovers took up residence. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Thats going to get me a fine isnt it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
If not a fine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] they might tell you to put a fence around your truck and not use it for 7 months out of the year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] so thesnowy plovers can have their mating season at your expense[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: rescuediver

Sounds like you've been a busy body[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and it doesn't look like it's going to be letting up for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] by the time your done, that 350 will be almost new, except for the body style[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
you know what they say about idle hands. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i have always liked that body style anyway. Its old school just like me. and im still under 5K easilly.
Yea, they are usually in the pockets trying to stay warm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I too like the old body style[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Your still less than what it will cost to fix my truck and the wife's car from when she backed into mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Quad Patrol

My 6volts are Interstates they ran me about $70 each from a local rv shop (Coach Repair) in town. I like doing business with Jay, it's a family owned business and he is actually reasonable and quite helpful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyway, IIRC, he said you could literally drain them down to nothing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and recharge them back up. Only problem is, they take 2-3 days to fully charge. however, that hasn't been a problem yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Does anyone know if my solar panels on the roof for 12 volt batteries will still work with 2 6volts?
I don't know for sure, but I do not see why they would not!!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Quad Patrol

MWQ, Unless your not running with a generator or the ability to hook up and charge the batteries over night with your truck, I don't see the need to hook up that many batteries to your trailer. Last year at Pismo, we went 6 days with out a battery problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] With the (2) 6 volt batteries up and running. Of course, prior to this we had a single 12v. I say try (2) 6v batteries and go from there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i dont have a generator yet but am looking around at 3K ones. Kragen has a nice looking one that I actually saw at pismo. I dont charge the batteries when i drive. I plug the trailer into the house for a day or 2 or now the solar keeps things happy.
Just be careful with the cheaper Kragen type of generators, they are NOISY!!! I know a couple people that have tried to quiet them down with no luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Is your truck not wired to charge the batteries as your drive down the roadway? Mine will charge it as long as the key is in the accessory position. Wish it was like my Chevy though, as long as it was plugged in, it was charging the trailer batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Th

Maybe a family of snowy plovers took up residence. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Thats going to get me a fine isnt it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Depends on if they decide to "leave" before the Sierra Club can find you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider

My 6volts are Interstates they ran me about $70 each from a local rv shop (Coach Repair) in town. I like doing business with Jay, it's a family owned business and he is actually reasonable and quite helpful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyway, IIRC, he said you could literally drain them down to nothing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and recharge them back up. Only problem is, they take 2-3 days to fully charge. however, that hasn't been a problem yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Does anyone know if my solar panels on the roof for 12 volt batteries will still work with 2 6volts?
It should. You look at the "system" voltage. Not the individual batteries. You can always check with the panel system manufacturer.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Also check out the inverter system. The REALLY nice ones will bring in 120V with 3 charge levels to the battery. Usually a strong charge, a top off and a float (for storage). Also look for some beefy wire going between the charger and the 12V system. If it's a #10 AWG, it's a joke. Rip it out and put in a good system. #10 won't carry the curent that you need to charge a battery up.
I will look around my trailer this weekend. the guy I got it from did a really nice job on everything he did to the trailer. He set it up to leave unattended for weeks and still be able to show up and be good to go. Its just that the dep cycles had been sitting for 2 year when i got it and didnt have much water in them either. All 4 will charge up fine and with the solar panels are always charged. They just lose their power really quickly. If you leave the porch light on over nite its down to 8 volts or so by morning.
Sounds like they are on the way out. Although they are deep cycle, 8 volts is REALLY deep cycle. And they can only do that about 10 times (as opposed to a standard starting battery at 3 times.) Do they make LED lights in the style you need for you porch light? Like just a drop-in lamp. I know they make 1157 LED replacements.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Air Cooled Rider

MWQ, Unless your not running with a generator or the ability to hook up and charge the batteries over night with your truck, I don't see the need to hook up that many batteries to your trailer. Last year at Pismo, we went 6 days with out a battery problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] With the (2) 6 volt batteries up and running. Of course, prior to this we had a single 12v. I say try (2) 6v batteries and go from there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i dont have a generator yet but am looking around at 3K ones. Kragen has a nice looking one that I actually saw at pismo. I dont charge the batteries when i drive. I plug the trailer into the house for a day or 2 or now the solar keeps things happy.
Just be careful with the cheaper Kragen type of generators, they are NOISY!!! I know a couple people that have tried to quiet them down with no luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Is your truck not wired to charge the batteries as your drive down the roadway? Mine will charge it as long as the key is in the accessory position. Wish it was like my Chevy though, as long as it was plugged in, it was charging the trailer batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Actually, I wouldn't want a hot all the time lead. Our flatbed at work is set up like that. Had a bad battery (or it was just discharged) in our hydraulic trailer. It was loaded up on Friday for a job run on Monday morning. Monday morning the truck battery didn't have enough juice to start that big 'ol 460. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The trailers are now NEVER left plugged into the truck over night.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Well LJ, myself, our friend james (shhh_and_ride on CATVW) and his friend and wife went up to Miami. We made the run to Signal. Same attendant as last year. After a bit he remembered us...well the guy on the BMW F650 Dakar who ate it going back down. (No bike damage).

Wow was it dusty. Hopefully they get some rain in. Didn't hit any of the trails, except for Shady which has about a 2' diameter tree down across it. I dont' know why the FS can't get someone out there with a chainsaw to clear this stuff. Instead, people just make a trail around it. GRRR. Took me a bit but finally collected myself and hit it. No seat time in 6 mos. and I've lost the edge.

And I'm still trying to figure out WTH karyn did to LJ in her trailer that one night. He's just not the same. The sound that came out of him. I don't know what it was. Sounded a bit female. At least he still rides fast so she didn't get him too good.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel