Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: rescuediver

I know you do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL!

I'd say go for it if you need to replace the batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Actually, talking about the 5th wheel pin box on the trailer. This one has a standard straight down drop that does not fair well with a s/b truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] turning at tight intersections, the corner gets awfully close to the corner of the cab[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Went to a welder/fabricator, he's going to set me up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And the price will be less than what the dealers want just for a sliding hitch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Sounds like a win win situation[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sounds good to me. I think we will be around, would like to see your shop. If it doesn't work out, you can swing by here. Later in the week, we'll pm and set up a day/time.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Im still thinking about it. Im still wondering if 2 12 volts would be better than 2 6 volts. They are going to cost about the same.

I would think a good welder would be necessary for that kind of modification. how far back are you going to move it?

I am going to be either at home or the shop for most of the weekend. We can figure something out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2006, 09:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

If not a fine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] they might tell you to put a fence around your truck and not use it for 7 months out of the year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] so thesnowy plovers can have their mating season at your expense[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
I have always wondered where the snowy plover mated for the 40 or so years the beach was open![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Have I ever shared my dislike for envirinmental wackos before? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2006, 09:43 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Yea, they are usually in the pockets trying to stay warm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I too like the old body style[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Your still less than what it will cost to fix my truck and the wife's car from when she backed into mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Real nice! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thats a real bummer RD. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2006, 09:43 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I don't know for sure, but I do not see why they would not!!
Hmmmm.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Just be careful with the cheaper Kragen type of generators, they are NOISY!!! I know a couple people that have tried to quiet them down with no luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Is your truck not wired to charge the batteries as your drive down the roadway? Mine will charge it as long as the key is in the accessory position. Wish it was like my Chevy though, as long as it was plugged in, it was charging the trailer batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I stood next to one of these at the Jetmoto gathering at pismo in June. It was yellow and black and was around 3K watts and was fully caged/enclosed. It was around $319.00 on sale. We could carry on a conversation next to it and it was nothing compared to what was buzzing around at the time. Now you got me wondering how loud it would be in a quiet forest.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

It should. You look at the "system" voltage. Not the individual batteries. You can always check with the panel system manufacturer.
Thanks B&RW! Ill check it out in the manual.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Sounds like they are on the way out. Although they are deep cycle, 8 volts is REALLY deep cycle. And they can only do that about 10 times (as opposed to a standard starting battery at 3 times.) Do they make LED lights in the style you need for you porch light? Like just a drop-in lamp. I know they make 1157 LED replacements.
Without the solar panels the batteries would be useless im sure. I will look into the LED's.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

Im still thinking about it. Im still wondering if 2 12 volts would be better than 2 6 volts. They are going to cost about the same. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MWQ, without a doubt, the 2-6V are better. The batteries are rated on how long they last based on a 20 or 25 AMP draw. the 2-6V last something like 420 minutes. The BEST 12V deep cycle is about 160-180 minutes, so 2 of them would only give you 360 minutes, max. The 6V have bigger plates. You have to watch the water level on them. I found leaving ours plugged in all the time to the RV charging system would overcharge them and bring down the water level. so i just charge them as needed.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: nedflanders
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MWQ, without a doubt, the 2-6V are better. The batteries are rated on how long they last based on a 20 or 25 AMP draw. the 2-6V last something like 420 minutes. The BEST 12V deep cycle is about 160-180 minutes, so 2 of them would only give you 360 minutes, max. The 6V have bigger plates. You have to watch the water level on them. I found leaving ours plugged in all the time to the RV charging system would overcharge them and bring down the water level. so i just charge them as needed.[/quote]

Ok Im convinced. Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Is there a certain brand/type I should look for?

Old 08-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah, our Costco has 5-6 AMP solar panel set (made by Coleman), including regulator or controller (?), for $250 (US). The RV dealer wants $900-1,000 (cdn) for the same thing. It folds out into a triangle. it comes with battery cable clamps. just enuf to provide a useful charge. I think it's a 75Watt system. I KNOW it's around 5-7 amps DC. You really don't want any solar panel system that isn't going to create at least 5-6 amps charging. For your calculations, remember:
Amps X Volts= Watts. Well you know it's 12V, so if you have any of the other values, you can do the math and figure it out.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel