Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Originally posted by: powerstroke01
Got pulled over today and got a fixit ticket for no front plate.. hhaa [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Reminds me. Clovis PD MC officers (2) wre doing laps on Shaw looking for business. Guy made a u-turn about 3 times between Shaw& Peach and the turn pocket to go into Wally-World (like 1/4 mile). Finally saw him with someone down by Sierra Vista Mall. Guess he got his man...err...woman I think.
Yeah. Theyre horrible up here. Im gonna set my cruise on 50 once i get my L on my drive to work.

At least he was nice about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] He was going the opposite way and i was doin about 52 and looked back, saw him flip a uturn and said wtf? Then he got right up on my a$$ and flipped on his lights.. I still had no clue. haha I thought maybe cause my tires or something. haha oh well. Guess ill put it back on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have to take my 16 yr old to DMV for his driving test tomorrow and that's one thing I have to do beforehand. It has to have both plates on it and all of my cars don't have one on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Although Im sort of leaning towards a 4dr 1 ton with a 460V8. Is this worth considering at all? I can find the same basic truck with a 460 and less than 1/2 the miles for about 1/2 its price. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks, MWQ.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Although Im sort of leaning towards a 4dr 1 ton with a 460V8. Is this worth considering at all? I can find the same basic truck with a 460 and less than 1/2 the miles for about 1/2 its price. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks, MWQ.
Mileage seems high, but it is a PSD. Engine is good for AT LEAST 300K. Transmission I would have checked out well. Your new trailer is pretty light, so just about anything would pull it. The PSD would never know it's there. And it would probably get 2x the mileage. Coworker was getting 8MPG with his 460. PSDs should be good for 2x that much.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

That has a lot of miles on it. I just you said it was just for hauling the toys around so either would be fine. The gas won't kill you so much because of it's limited use. I have no idea how far you drag your toys to play so the mileage/condition shouldn't be a big factor if it's just a short drive.

I have to drag toys through the desert and pass a couple of pretty good grades so i would look for a newer hauler, but that's just me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I usualy haul between 120 and 250 miles one way, with a few trips in the 40 mile one way range. I do have plenty of grades to climb no matter where I go.

Do you really think a diesel will get double the mileage B&RW?

I will also be replacing this "new truck" in about 3 years. This is a short term kind of fix. Im not too worried about my F150 hauling the new trailer as much as Im worried about it stopping it.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I usualy haul between 120 and 250 miles one way, with a few trips in the 40 mile one way range. I do have plenty of grades to climb no matter where I go.

Do you really think a diesel will get double the mileage B&RW?

I will also be replacing this "new truck" in about 3 years. This is a short term kind of fix. Im not too worried about my F150 hauling the new trailer as much as Im worried about it stopping it.
The 460 is a PIG. And I wouldn't doubt it getting close to 2x the mileage. For just a little more money. You won't have it long enough to make up the price diff, but you will also be selling it and getting that money back out.

One thing the 460 will do is snap exhaust manifold bolts. The motor twists and the bolts just shear. So if you hear an exhaust leak on one, check those.

Here's how you stop that trailer: Tekonsha Prodigy.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Royalty Rider

Howdy Ya'll!! Just thought I would drop by and say "Hi". Im officially a big sister to another little bro. Im going to put a pic of Jackson in my profile...check him out, he is a cutie (he got my good looks) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2006, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

What type of mileage should I be getting having 345 miles on my new PSD? Also, are the tires LT275/65R20E and 3.73 gears going to effect mileage? The truck had 240 miles on it when I picked it up, I didn't reset anything and it shows 13.2 mpg, also, I don't know what brand of fuel ( shell, chevron, texaco, ect. ) they filled it with before I took delivery. Just wondering if the mileage gets better as it gets more broken in.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Air Cooled Rider

That seems a little low. But if you've been getting heavy on the foot, possible. It's always best to hand calculate for your mileage. And yes, like any motor, it will get better after break-in. Break-in for a diesel however is MANY thousand miles.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel