Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: nedflanders
no grease zirks. Ford doesn't put them on. It must be these tough Canadian logging roads we ride on! We do ride some bumpy/washboard roads, and I am often carrying very heavy loads with the 3500lb camper + enclosed trailer full of quads. But they should still last longer than that.

I did the factory set at about 25-30K, so that'd #2. The current set has been worn out for quite awhile....come to think of it, I got 50K out of this set. but my front tires are BADLY worn on the outside (? or inside) edges. I went to get an alignment done, and there was just too much to replace before the guy could do it properly.

Why don't you drill, tap, and install zerk fitting. I have done that many times. Just use grease on the drill and tap so very little get into whatever you are installing them into. It will really increase the life and your maintance on the vehicle go down so you can have more time to ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
AWWWWW that felt good to have an ontopic post [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
One every month or so is about right for you ain't it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I'm sure there is quality discussion over in "The zone" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Trasher
no grease zirks. Ford doesn't put them on. It must be these tough Canadian logging roads we ride on! We do ride some bumpy/washboard roads, and I am often carrying very heavy loads with the 3500lb camper + enclosed trailer full of quads. But they should still last longer than that.

I did the factory set at about 25-30K, so that'd #2. The current set has been worn out for quite awhile....come to think of it, I got 50K out of this set. but my front tires are BADLY worn on the outside (? or inside) edges. I went to get an alignment done, and there was just too much to replace before the guy could do it properly.

Why don't you drill, tap, and install zerk fitting. I have done that many times. Just use grease on the drill and tap so very little get into whatever you are installing them into. It will really increase the life and your maintance on the vehicle go down so you can have more time to ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
that would have been a good idea when I FIRST installed the Ford ones. Now I might go after-market, with something that already has the zerks. Moog is a pretty good name, altho it wouldn't surprise me to discover they're getting their parts private-labelled in China.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Probably fine that one or two companies make all of them out there :0

Old 10-23-2006, 04:07 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm glad it's working out for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You have to work on Fridays?? You need to get that changed quick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Me too!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I work everyother friday. We do a 9/80 deal here. 9hrs a day mon thru thurs and 8 every other friday. The other friday we get off. Last week was the 36 hour week and then we got Friday off. Its not 4/10's but its real close.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

I always wanted to work 4 10's. Three day weekends would be sweet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now I am working 2 jobs and working 7 12's, but only for a little while more. Getting things set up and looking into a home based business also. Now I get to go golfing with customers and let the business pay for it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I always wanted to work 4 10's. Three day weekends would be sweet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now I am working 2 jobs and working 7 12's, but only for a little while more.

Getting things set up and looking into a home based business also.

Now I get to go golfing with customers and let the business pay for it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I did 4/10's for about 15 years or so. 3 day weekends are sweet.

Do it while your young.

Thats my eventual dream, but this job is so cool im not in as big of a hurry.

Now thats a great deal, and I dont even like golf.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Quad Patrol

I had to pull my rear axles with a specialty socket, in order to get at rear rotors. I have the same set up for e-brake as what toyo is describing. I must destroy my ebrake shoes FAST, cuz I always drive away with the ebrake on (for short durations).

as for BJs (that's ball joints), you need a special press to get those out, and to press new ones in. on my quad, I was able to use some large sockets and my bench vise pressing the lowers into the steering knuckle, but i don't think that'd work on the PSD.

check the U-joints aswell, and the front suspension arms (not the steering stabilizer, but the part near it). all that stuff needs replacing on mine, but i got ZERO cash. so i'll just wear my tires goofy for now. Hey, where'd ya buy the ball joints, and what did you pay?? any great internet deals I should know about?? this will be my 3rd set in 75,000 miles, so I'm not real confident in Ford's factory parts. That sounds about right; they're worn out in 25,000 miles.
After dealing with the brakes for too many hours[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I decided to have a shop to the ball joints. I don't have a press available to me and didn't feel like running around trying to get a shop to do it for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] So, I contacted the shop that has done work on the PSD, he charged me the same as Ford would of for only the lower ball joints. So, I got new upper and lower ball joints and 4 Bilstien shocks for just over what Ford wanted[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Now, after that and getting the trailer, I need Trasher's $$$ to go play[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Originally posted by: rescuediver

I spent too many hours giving the PSD a 4 wheel brake job[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Needed new rotors on the back and the front's had to be turned.

Doesn't look good for us either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] have the new trailer, only 4 inches between the bed rail and the bottom of the trailer, need to get that taken care of before I venture to uneven surfaces, like Pismo. On a good note, the truck handles the trailer nicely[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Really don't know that 8500lbs is there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

How is the new job going? I saw the dealership there on the corner of River Rd. have a friend who lives a couple miles away. Used to go to that market all the time when I work that side of the county[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
That I understand! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

We didnt end up going either. Jetmoto didnt get the paper work for the sticker ready in time and wanted me to meet them at Carnegie at 2:00 pm Sunday. I like to leave before then not get there then. good deal about the carrying capacity, bummer about the fit.

The new job is absolutely beyond my wildest dreams. I should have pissed my old boss off much sooner. Oct. 28th is my last Saturday at the store. My new job doesnt let me have every friday off and I need more time in my shop.

That's cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] about the job[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If your not getting a paycheck$ time to move on and start making some at your own place[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: rescuediver

4 Bilstien shocks
I put a set of those on my F350[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel