Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: Trasher
That's a bummer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Can you take the wheel off and get in there with a impact hammer to help twist it off?

I haven't ever burnt out a bulb yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I didn't try the impact wrench yet. But I've used it before. May break out a file and go to work on the head and hope I can get a 16mm on there. But I'm not going to fsck with it until after this weekend.

I don't know what it is with this damn thing. The biggest problem is the switch. I always ride with my lights on and last Halloween weekend I guess I just bumped the switch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The bulbs are crappy. Basically, there's a washer soldered to the bulb page to hold it in the reflector housing. Lots of current + solder = melted solder and the bulb falls into the reflector area. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And the damn rear light. First one I got rear ended by another Warrior. Perfect height of bumber and taillight. Second time, I was on a trail with LJ and looked down and the lense was busted. Last one the studs came ouf of the plastic. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Maybe I should see how much MWQ would charge me to CNC a new taillight? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I can do the PCB and electronics. Or I could go ghetto and just use a drill press on a billet piece. LOL

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Originally posted by: rescuediver
Finally got our trailer and towed it with the PSD back to where we store it, found out 4 inches between the bottom of the trailer and top of the bed rails is not enough[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Now I am looking for taller arms for the 5th wheel hitch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] either that, or I have to have some custom fabrication done to get 6+inches between the two vehicles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] so I don't mess up my bed.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] every truck at the ranch has a bent tailgate and worn out diamond plating on the rails from the trailer rubbing.. the new flat bed has a mile of clearance though. with the hay on it in my pictures. Throw a lift on the trailer. or flip the axles to the other side of the springs.
Axles already been flipped, getting a 3" lift to it. Don't need or want anymore dents in the truck. Just paid $$$ to get the last of them out of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
yeah dents suck.. You need to replace your bed with one of them low side fifth wheel boxs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] common on the centurions.
Gotta watch those in CA. CHP might decide that he needs a motor carrier of property permit, commonly known as a CA Number (because they are "CA ######" on trucks.) And thus he should stop at scales. And I don't think MD wants to be stopping at the scales. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
WTF.. so if you have a flatbed or lowside box they want you to be a comercial vehicle.. California is the G A Y E S T State in the union about that chit.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Finally got our trailer and towed it with the PSD back to where we store it, found out 4 inches between the bottom of the trailer and top of the bed rails is not enough[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Now I am looking for taller arms for the 5th wheel hitch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] either that, or I have to have some custom fabrication done to get 6+inches between the two vehicles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] so I don't mess up my bed.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] every truck at the ranch has a bent tailgate and worn out diamond plating on the rails from the trailer rubbing.. the new flat bed has a mile of clearance though. with the hay on it in my pictures. Throw a lift on the trailer. or flip the axles to the other side of the springs.
Axles already been flipped, getting a 3" lift to it. Don't need or want anymore dents in the truck. Just paid $$$ to get the last of them out of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
yeah dents suck.. You need to replace your bed with one of them low side fifth wheel boxs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] common on the centurions.
Gotta watch those in CA. CHP might decide that he needs a motor carrier of property permit, commonly known as a CA Number (because they are "CA ######" on trucks.) And thus he should stop at scales. And I don't think MD wants to be stopping at the scales. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
WTF.. so if you have a flatbed or lowside box they want you to be a comercial vehicle.. California is the G A Y E S T State in the union about that chit.
Used to be it wasn't enforced. But now they want that stupid @ss little fee. It wasn't even $25, IIRC. I was like WTF? We got stopped for not having it. May have been going through a scale in the flatbed. They even have a stamp to stamp the inspection just for not having a CA number.

And actually 99.9% of trucks in CA are registered as commercial vehicles. If not, you can't actually carry anything in the bed. Or that's what I've been told if you don't have commercial plates (#<letter>#####). Basically if you don't have a standard bed, you have to go through the scales. So a work body even qualifies. It's also based on GVWR as well. It's like 10K or 15K.

What really brought this on, was a few years ago there was a big juggling act with registrations. Used to be that a big semi-trailer (we have about four old 40' refer trailers) that were about 900-1000 a year to register. So we (and a lot of other contractors who have them) would just get moving permits. Wasn't worth that much money for something that gets moved every 6 months. And also for say an O/O who has one rig and three trailers. Only one of those trailers will be on the road at a time. So they created the "Permanent Trailer Identification." Now, being the morons that they (the Legislature) are, it's not permanent, but actually 5 years. It only costs $25 now. So that's $5/yr. Ok, well, you just lost $900 a year. So they then created the CVRA fee. This is a weight fee based on what weight (GVW or GCW) you will operate at. You pay that each year. You could have a CLass 8, but say you declare it for 26K, that's all the fee you pay. The max fee is at 80K lbs.

For the CA people, that's the little white 2-3" square sticker that has has a two digit number. 80 = 80K pounds. 15 = 15K pounds, etc. Then you pay a yearly sticker for THAT sticker too. When you register a vehicle you end up getting 3 stickers for renewal. One for the plate. Then two for the weight stickers (one each side).

Rental trucks (U-Haul, Ryder, et al) don't have to get CA numbers (or CVRA as far as I know). But leased trucks need them. But rentals ARE required to hit the scales. Now they actually have signs posting such.

The big thing is that it's the non-commercial arena that has moved into vehicles that were typically only used for commercial purposes.

CHP a few years ago cracked down on the small race guys who were running around with +10K GVWR trailers (require Class A Commercial lic.)

Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM
TPR
The Champ

A couple of questions for you all,

1 I have a 2006 6.0 PSD and am looking for a exhaust system that not only boost performance, but as some I have heard, hush the exhaust note basically giving off mostly turbo whistle. I found this one don't know how well it works, but I have also heard good things about MBRP.

2 Should I go with 4" or 5", since my motor is stock, I don't know if there is any advantage going 5" aside from possibly lowering turbo temps a bit more, and possibly being a little more quiet. I could be backward, so I defer to your advice.

TPR

Old 10-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

OK skinner its official/.. You have just justified why california is the most retarded of G A Y States in the union.. WTF who makes ya'lls laws.. A bunch or nimrods.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Air Cooled Rider

OK skinner its official/.. You have just justified why california is the most retarded of G A Y States in the union.. WTF who makes ya'lls laws.. A bunch or nimrods.
I don't either. Some of the **** makes no sense. Or it does in some weird way. They reduce fees, but you spend 3x that much in labor just trying to figure out WTF you need or should be doing. All of this gets dumped on my desk because the office manager is blonde. She doesn't like to think. She'll cancel accounts at suppliers if their billing doesn't match up with our AP dates.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

I don't either. Some of the **** makes no sense. Or it does in some weird way. They reduce fees, but you spend 3x that much in labor just trying to figure out WTF you need or should be doing. All of this gets dumped on my desk because the office manager is blonde. She doesn't like to think. She'll cancel accounts at suppliers if their billing doesn't match up with our AP dates.

They're just a bunch of tree huggin, Hybred car driving (while flying privite jets), pro taxes, nut cases. With all those qualities, common sense is not needed to do the job. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TPR

1 I have a 2006 6.0 PSD and am looking for a exhaust system that not only boost performance, but as some I have heard, hush the exhaust note basically giving off mostly turbo whistle. I found this one don't know how well it works, but I have also heard good things about MBRP.

2 Should I go with 4" or 5", since my motor is stock, I don't know if there is any advantage going 5" aside from possibly lowering turbo temps a bit more, and possibly being a little more quiet. I could be backward, so I defer to your advice.

TPR

1. If that is the one I have heard, it's pretty throaty and louder than the stock for sure. Any one will be a big plus. Diesels need to get a lot of air in and out.

2. If you are planning not to do extensive work to the engine, I would stick with the 4" system.

Just my two cents................... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TPR

TPR
4" is fine.. MBRP is great stuff.. Thats what my pops has on the f2fiddy..

http://www.dieselmanor.com/exhaust.asp
http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts.../10A50209.aspx

Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
TPR
The Champ

Thanks,
My main goals are...

1) Moderate increase in power.
2) Reduced EGT temps.
3) Better sound...more of that turbo whistle.
4) Keep it warranty legal.

Prolly go 4" with a 5" SS tip.

Thought about using an intake box, but after reading several diesel forums, found that the stocker with a K&N works real well and keeps dirt out better.

No programmer either. While I liked the power it made for the 7.3, I got nervous each time I took it in to get the oil line to the turbo replaced...twice. Actually 3 times, but it first happened pre-programmer. Then by bro-in-law bought the truck, had the programmer stolen and had to trade it in instead of keeping it because the warranty would have been void.

TPR

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel