Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: rescuediver
No I do not!! From the information I have received[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] They are starting to crack down on trucks with modified beds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] If it doesn't have a regular style truck bed, they are starting to have guys go through the scales[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That's not a bad thing, but still don't want to deal with it.
I think they are searching for money any where they can. I bet Ford is going to sell a lot of F-450 SD PUs. They are selling them with factory bed options for MY '08 (Jan. '07). I saw one 450 going down the road that the bed was was flapping around (aft of the rear fenders.) If you're gonna put a bed on, do it right. He was set up to haul a gooseneck.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: Trasher
Get ready for some testing of diesels in about 6-8 months in Cali, mostly in "enhanced" testing areas. They have started particular traps in heavy equipment and on the road trucks plus more goodies to follow
Well that should be tweaking off a lot of guys. The entire Valley (Bakersfield north past Sacramento) is all enhanced. I know that MY '07 they are supposed to start particulate traps and what not. Eventually CARB will clean up diesels to the point that they will be damn near as clean as a gas vehicle so we should see more. But that might not be a good thing, considering fuel will go up with the demand.

Maybe that will push Biodiesel like it has with Ethonol. (Not complaining on Ethonol production, we've been making money off of that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] )

Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Air Cooled Rider

15 GVW and below plus OBDII if equipped
That should definately push the big three's 450/4500 trucks then. Since they are for the most part all 15K or above. I think 450s are 19K, or at least available to 19K. Or maybe that's 550.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: TPR
Well, I'm pretty sure mine is running a CAT and I plan on just keeping it there to minimize any headaches....

I read elsewhere that the stock Donaldson filter is the way to go which is cool. People said in other forums that Ford got that design right which means more $$$ in my pocket.

Thanks for all the info, and RD....someone's bein a post ho!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TPR
And you're never one?

Pot, meet Kettle.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Well, I'm pretty sure mine is running a CAT and I plan on just keeping it there to minimize any headaches....

I read elsewhere that the stock Donaldson filter is the way to go which is cool. People said in other forums that Ford got that design right which means more $$$ in my pocket.

Thanks for all the info, and RD....someone's bein a post ho!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TPR
And you're never one?

Pot, meet Kettle.

Just wait until Toyo chimes in too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] King Ho[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

TPR
And you're never one?

Pot, meet Kettle.

Just wait until Toyo chimes in too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] King Ho[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] good to know my reputation is solid [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and Cats are such BS on diesels. and 26000 GVW no CDL washington. and you can actually run higher with a private carrier plaque

Old 10-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

you've got good ears. That post wasn't up there very long[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] good to know my reputation is solid [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and Cats are such BS on diesels. and 26000 GVW no CDL washington. and you can actually run higher with a private carrier plaque
With ULSD they can be used. The problem before was soot plugging them.

California Class C (a regular lic.) allows for up to, and including 26,000lb GVWR (and ONE trailer GVWR up to and including 10,000 GVWR). All states should be that, considering commercial is regulated at the Fed level. You can go 10,001 to 15,000 GVWR FIFTH WHEEL on an endorsement that's a written-only exam.) Beyond that (15,001 5er, or 10,001 other) you can get a Restricted Class A (restricted to non-Commercial use only, or if you're a farmer within 50 miles of the farm.)

RVs are licensed on length. Over 40' (I think), they are Restricted Class B. No weight restrictions.

I wonder when/if they will add on to the Class B for over 26K, for non-commercial. There just hasn't been much of demand. Kind of a new thing, so we'll see.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

There are many issues that you will be seeing with ULSD fuel. Biggest being lack of Lubrisity which will mean the injectors, pump, and liners will be taking a beating. Should start running an additive like Essentialube or Power-Kleen to handle the sulfuric acid and handle the corrosion problems plus stabilize the fuel.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: rescuediver
TPR, also on the exhaust, if you have a catalytic converter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] If you take it off, there will be a little back flow noise due to there now being less back pressure. You only get it when you lay off the exhaust. Hasn't hurt my buddy's 6.0 PSD and he has 80 HP's ++ going through it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Get ready for some testing of diesels in about 6-8 months in Cali, mostly in "enhanced" testing areas. They have started particular traps in heavy equipment and on the road trucks plus more goodies to follow
They've been threatening to do that for years. i am sure it is coming. I also think they can not go backwards and hit older vehicles on the road. think they will start with the newer ones. We also live within the CARB regulatory zone. What some people are doing is getting a friend's address or P.O. box in the hills and registering their vehicles up there to circumvent the restrictions. I myself would never do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel