Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: Trasher
Originally posted by: TPR
A couple of questions for you all,

1 I have a 2006 6.0 PSD and am looking for a exhaust system that not only boost performance, but as some I have heard, hush the exhaust note basically giving off mostly turbo whistle. I found this one don't know how well it works, but I have also heard good things about MBRP.

2 Should I go with 4" or 5", since my motor is stock, I don't know if there is any advantage going 5" aside from possibly lowering turbo temps a bit more, and possibly being a little more quiet. I could be backward, so I defer to your advice.

TPR

1. If that is the one I have heard, it's pretty throaty and louder than the stock for sure. Any one will be a big plus. Diesels need to get a lot of air in and out.

2. If you are planning not to do extensive work to the engine, I would stick with the 4" system.

Just my two cents................... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
TPR, stay with the 4" if your not planning on doing anything more to your truck. Even if you are later, the 4" should work just fine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Quad Patrol

TPR, also on the exhaust, if you have a catalytic converter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] If you take it off, there will be a little back flow noise due to there now being less back pressure. You only get it when you lay off the exhaust. Hasn't hurt my buddy's 6.0 PSD and he has 80 HP's ++ going through it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Quad Patrol

Not to happy with my mechanic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] he didn't replace the seals when he did my front end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] and I leaked oil on my driveway. Talked to him today and he told me my 3rd inner seals looked bad. His explanation was he got in a bind the day he worked on my PSD and failed to call me to let me know they needed replacing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] He told me he'd take care of me, however, it still pi$$es me off. We'll see how well he takes care of me come Monday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and that gear oil stuff real stains concrete[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] AArrggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
TPR, also on the exhaust, if you have a catalytic converter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] If you take it off, there will be a little back flow noise due to there now being less back pressure. You only get it when you lay off the exhaust. Hasn't hurt my buddy's 6.0 PSD and he has 80 HP's ++ going through it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Get ready for some testing of diesels in about 6-8 months in Cali, mostly in "enhanced" testing areas. They have started particular traps in heavy equipment and on the road trucks plus more goodies to follow

Old 10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Bonus's don't come out until Februarish, so, hopefully it's more than just enough to buy a happy meal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Xmas for us. We pretty much always get one. It was lean at Xmas last year, but the boss dipped into the credit line I think for ours. About 1/2 the prior year bonus. This year better be a nice bonus. I pretty much did a complete design for one project.
This is my first job that has a bonus system, so, I don't know what to expect. I do know my team is kicking butt and deserves a nice fat one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][/quote]

I used to get big bonuses and comps with the old job but they took all that away.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Now they sit around wondering why all the 'ol timers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] get pissed off all the time and bitch about how it "used to be". Now they hire just younger, inexperenced reps at a much lower pay scale. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
Thanks,
My main goals are...

1) Moderate increase in power.
2) Reduced EGT temps.
3) Better sound...more of that turbo whistle.
4) Keep it warranty legal.

Prolly go 4" with a 5" SS tip.

Thought about using an intake box, but after reading several diesel forums, found that the stocker with a K&N works real well and keeps dirt out better.

No programmer either. While I liked the power it made for the 7.3, I got nervous each time I took it in to get the oil line to the turbo replaced...twice. Actually 3 times, but it first happened pre-programmer. Then by bro-in-law bought the truck, had the programmer stolen and had to trade it in instead of keeping it because the warranty would have been void.

TPR
K&N is BAD MOJO!!!!
Unless theyve changed it that things sucks LOTS of dirt..
Really???

My bro-in-law had one installed in the stock airbox and didn't have a problem....if there is another OEM replacement out there that is better than stock and keeps out more dirt than K&N in the stock box, I'm all ears.

TPR

I know people that have K&N on their PSD's and don't have any problems, they run them at Pismo and in their orchards. Just get the outer wear for added protection. I also run K&N on a few of my quads, never had any indication of dirt getting past the filter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

It would be hard to find out for sure without doing a oil Analysis before an after to see what is getting into the system. Just check micron ratings on any filters that you use to see just how small of a particle it will stop from passing through. If it was a long haul truck or piece of equipment that is run a long time, items like that are a big plus to the ROI.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Not to happy with my mechanic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] he didn't replace the seals when he did my front end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] and I leaked oil on my driveway. Talked to him today and he told me my 3rd inner seals looked bad. His explanation was he got in a bind the day he worked on my PSD and failed to call me to let me know they needed replacing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] He told me he'd take care of me, however, it still pi$$es me off. We'll see how well he takes care of me come Monday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and that gear oil stuff real stains concrete[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] AArrggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a bummer that you have to take it in for repairs again but as least it sounds like he's stepping up and making it right with you. If he pulled the axles he should have sold you thoses in advance just to do it right and cover his tail to help prevent a come back.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Trasher

Get ready for some testing of diesels in about 6-8 months in Cali, mostly in "enhanced" testing areas. They have started particular traps in heavy equipment and on the road trucks plus more goodies to follow

15 GVW and below plus OBDII if equipped

Old 10-26-2006, 06:56 PM
TPR
The Champ

Well, I'm pretty sure mine is running a CAT and I plan on just keeping it there to minimize any headaches....

I read elsewhere that the stock Donaldson filter is the way to go which is cool. People said in other forums that Ford got that design right which means more $$$ in my pocket.

Thanks for all the info, and RD....someone's bein a post ho!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TPR

Old 10-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Bonus's don't come out until Februarish, so, hopefully it's more than just enough to buy a happy meal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Xmas for us. We pretty much always get one. It was lean at Xmas last year, but the boss dipped into the credit line I think for ours. About 1/2 the prior year bonus. This year better be a nice bonus. I pretty much did a complete design for one project.
This is my first job that has a bonus system, so, I don't know what to expect. I do know my team is kicking butt and deserves a nice fat one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][/quote]

Yeah that's a problem with Gov. work. Your salary is your salary. Nothing extra ('cept OT.)

Met a guy who is Madera County SO (Ag Crimes) last ride at Miami (he's a friend's best friend) his cousin was one of the Fresno PD officers who got ambushed a couple weeks back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Both are expected to make full recoveries. His cousin was hit like 4 times. Once in back, vest stopped it. The guy tapped himself before SWAT go there to do it. Last guy who shot a FPD officer got shot a week or two later. Hopefully they put that entire family in jail for hiding him.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel