Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Trying to get it ready to do a weekend trip to Gorman in a few weeks.
When are you going to gorman? Can I go too? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was thinking of going the 2nd weekend in Feb.

Oh pardon me....Hello PSD, Im sorry I havnt been in here for a while, been busy.

Congrats on the new Job Trasher!!! and a car of your choice is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Im getting used to my beater 93 tercel I bought to commute in. Its a very boring car until you check the mpg. so far I get between 39 and 44 mpg. I couldnt get over 40 mpg commuting my XL600. Damm car is slow though.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:59 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

1. Should that so called "fin" get hot?
2. Has anyone replaced a thermostat with a digital one?

My next stop will be on rv.net

MD
I have no idea.
I havnt done it but if it works tell me and i will. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

What did you find out?

PS01, that is COLD! Is there snow at miami?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:16 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Ramps?? What kind of ramps do you guys and gals use to load your quads in a truck? I was thinking of getting a couple of 2X10's and making a couple of aluminum plates to go on the top where they would lay on the tail gate. I have seen some of the folding ones and some look nice to use but seem to need a second truck to haul the ramp to the riding area.

(This is a duplicate post from the zone but I figure not many mods come in here) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

MD
I have no idea.
I havnt done it but if it works tell me and i will. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

What did you find out?

No idea... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Were behind on rainfall though..

Its currently 21.9 with a low of 20.8 as of 8:00am... yeah... coldest its been since weve moved up here.. Up in mariposa i heard a few places reaced the low teens..

Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Anyone know anything about heaters in Trailers/motorhomes? Ours has been acting up since we got it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] With this cold spell 24-28 degrees at night over the next few nights, I decided to turn the heater on since it's at the house. Anyways, the batteries are charged and the blower sure does blow, however it has a problem igniting, I can see the ignitor throwing sparks, just doesn't have fuel (propane) and yes there is propane in the system. So tonight, I pull off the cover to the thermostat and clean the corroded metal "wings/fins" or whatchamacallits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] After moving some parts to see if they did move, one of the brass "fins" gets very hot (burned my finger). I try to start it and low and behold, there's heat being put out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, My question(s) are:

MD
If they are hot then there's some resistance, which there will be SOME resistance. You're carrying current through the fins (actually it's a switch.) If the contacts are really corroded you'll put resistance in there which will drop the voltage across the contacts which since it will still carry the same power (watts) will cause the current (amps) to raise up. You can try some electrical contact cleaner on them. They should be nice and shiny (usually they are a brass color, IIRC) when new.

I don't see why you couldn't run a digital. As long as it's set up for gas heat.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Ramps?? What kind of ramps do you guys and gals use to load your quads in a truck? I was thinking of getting a couple of 2X10's and making a couple of aluminum plates to go on the top where they would lay on the tail gate. I have seen some of the folding ones and some look nice to use but seem to need a second truck to haul the ramp to the riding area.

(This is a duplicate post from the zone but I figure not many mods come in here) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I have a metal bi-fold aluminum ramp. I'd never try 2x10s. Too many horror stories. But some people use them for years without a problem. My ramps also have a cam-style safety strap to keep it snug to the tail gate. I haven't seen anyone eat it, but I did see a ramp go flying across the parking lot at the stealer. The really cool thing I like about my ramp is in a pinch it can be used as a ladder. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I transport my ramp under the bike if I have the room. Though the last few big trips I made I actually put it either on top of the quad or I set it on top of the fender well. Less noise on the fender. With my stock tires it was no problem. However, the Klaws I have are a little wider. Kinda have to wiggle it getting in there.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
Todays high: 39.7
Currently: 25.4

yeah. Its cold. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Yes it is! walking from my truck to the back door at work nearly froze my fingers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Quad Patrol

Trying to get it ready to do a weekend trip to Gorman in a few weeks.
When are you going to gorman? Can I go too? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was thinking of going the 2nd weekend in Feb.

Oh pardon me....Hello PSD, Im sorry I havnt been in here for a while, been busy.

Congrats on the new Job Trasher!!! and a car of your choice is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Im getting used to my beater 93 tercel I bought to commute in. Its a very boring car until you check the mpg. so far I get between 39 and 44 mpg. I couldnt get over 40 mpg commuting my XL600. Damm car is slow though.
Hello MWQ[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Haven't picked a weekend yet. Is that weekend President's Day Weekend?

My commuter gets roughly 12.9 mpg[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Quad Patrol

MD
I have no idea.

What did you find out?

Found out it can be done fairly cheap[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] They even have a couple threads on how to do it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] along with which digital thermometer to buy at wally world, home depot or lowes. All for the price of around $25[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Some guys were saying the analog thermometer can be off as much as 15 degrees before the switch recognizes that it needed to kick on the heater. Guess that might be why if you put ours up to 90 degrees[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] it might kick on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Depending on your thermometer type, you only might need to hook up 2-4 wires. Might tackle this project this weekend.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Anyone know anything about heaters in Trailers/motorhomes? Ours has been acting up since we got it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] With this cold spell 24-28 degrees at night over the next few nights, I decided to turn the heater on since it's at the house. Anyways, the batteries are charged and the blower sure does blow, however it has a problem igniting, I can see the ignitor throwing sparks, just doesn't have fuel (propane) and yes there is propane in the system. So tonight, I pull off the cover to the thermostat and clean the corroded metal "wings/fins" or whatchamacallits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] After moving some parts to see if they did move, one of the brass "fins" gets very hot (burned my finger). I try to start it and low and behold, there's heat being put out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, My question(s) are:

MD
If they are hot then there's some resistance, which there will be SOME resistance. You're carrying current through the fins (actually it's a switch.) If the contacts are really corroded you'll put resistance in there which will drop the voltage across the contacts which since it will still carry the same power (watts) will cause the current (amps) to raise up. You can try some electrical contact cleaner on them. They should be nice and shiny (usually they are a brass color, IIRC) when new.

I don't see why you couldn't run a digital. As long as it's set up for gas heat.

Skinner, you are pretty darn close[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But someone in the electrical business[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I should have expected it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL!

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel