Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bruinman

I have an 04 350 crew cab 6.0 diesel. It has a ton of power and can tow anything. the only problem is that it has alot of emission problems with the turbo charger.</end quote></div>

Hey, how long have you had it? How many miles are on it? See, I'am thinking about buying my buddies. He hasnt had any problems with it, and its got 147,000 miles on it. Same thing..04 350 crew 6.0. I've read alot of scary stuff about this motor! Anyone have any suggestions? Stay away, or buy away?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Quad Patrol

Wow, 147,000 miles on the 6.0 and no problems[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I am surprised[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] In reality it's one of those things where it could be alright, or it could be one that is plagued with problems. I tend to think if he hasn't had problems with it then it's good to go. Now, if you do get it, I wouldn't be adding after market performance chips to it. I think you will eventually start finding some weak links.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Quad Patrol

Also, have you visited this site? diesel stop they have some good information on it.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rescuediver

Wow, 147,000 miles on the 6.0 and no problems[img][/img] I am surprised[img][/img] In reality it's one of those things where it could be alright, or it could be one that is plagued with problems. I tend to think if he hasn't had problems with it then it's good to go. Now, if you do get it, I wouldn't be adding after market performance chips to it. I think you will eventually start finding some weak links.</end quote></div>

See, right there, that first sentence....thats what I've been hearing all over the place, and it makes me fear that I will be dropping some dough in it. I know that all his miles are highway, and the only thing he ever tows with it is a horse trailer.

I dont plan on doing anything aftermarket at all. Only preventive maintaince. The ONLY reason I'am even considering it is the fact that I will get a smoking deal on it. I'am thinking 15k or less.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Also, have you visited this site? diesel stop they have some good information on it.</end quote></div>

Yes, thank you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thats where I've been getting most of my information.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Quad Patrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MrDumass

Wow, 147,000 miles on the 6.0 and no problems[IMG][/IMG] I am surprised[IMG][/IMG] In reality it's one of those things where it could be alright, or it could be one that is plagued with problems. I tend to think if he hasn't had problems with it then it's good to go. Now, if you do get it, I wouldn't be adding after market performance chips to it. I think you will eventually start finding some weak links.</end quote></div>

See, right there, that first sentence....thats what I've been hearing all over the place, and it makes me fear that I will be dropping some dough in it. I know that all his miles are highway, and the only thing he ever tows with it is a horse trailer.

I dont plan on doing anything aftermarket at all. Only preventive maintaince. The ONLY reason I'am even considering it is the fact that I will get a smoking deal on it. I'am thinking 15k or less.</end quote></div>

If your getting a smoking deal on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Then is the deal enough that "if" you had to put a new engine in it that it would still be a good deal?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Of course that's the million dollar question! For me, if I was serious about it, I'd take it to a independent diesel mechanic and have him go over it, get cost of what items would cost if you need to replace them. Like a new trannie will cost around $4200, engine IIRC $6000. EGR $2500 etc. I would think if the owner is being honest with you and has put that kind of miles on it, he received one of the good PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and if the deal is that good, I would go for it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just my two cents worth[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and we know it not worth that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Quad Patrol

Also, have you visited this site? diesel stop they have some good information on it.</end quote></div>

Yes, thank you. [img][/img] Thats where I've been getting most of my information.</end quote></div>

Your welcome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That's where I do my research too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Of course, some of it you need to read through the BS due to the idiots that post on to support their sponsors[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Just so ya'll know, I saw a recall on the 7.3's They said it was something to do with the camshaft sensor circut. Said it could cause the vehicle to shut off. Didnt know if its something that is well known, and thought I would post about it for those that didnt.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Yes, thank you. [IMG][/IMG] Thats where I've been getting most of my information.</end quote></div>

Your welcome[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border="0[/IMG] That's where I do my research too[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border="0[/IMG] Of course, some of it you need to read through the BS due to the idiots that post on to support their sponsors[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

I'am supposed to get together with him over the weekend. I should get alot more info from him, which I will post, to try and get some more helpfull info. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You mean to tell me that this isnt the only site that has that problem? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Quad Patrol

Just so ya'll know, I saw a recall on the 7.3's They said it was something to do with the camshaft sensor circut. Said it could cause the vehicle to shut off. Didnt know if its something that is well known, and thought I would post about it for those that didnt.</end quote></div>

Yea, it's a perpetual problem on some of the 7.3. I had mine go out few months ago. From what I have read and experienced when it goes, it effects every engine differently. I lost power and was able to limp my truck home at 20-25 mph. Did die on me 3-4 times though. A new one costs around $28 bucks an is easy to replace. Just need a 10mm socket with an extension. A lot of owners carry an extra one in the glove box.

Out of curiousity can you post the recall[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel