Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Kind of a funny story about this truck actually. The boss's son graduated from Cal Poly SLO in Civil Eng. Went to work for some company up in Sacramento. Well, he wanted a Lightning so I think dad kind of helped him out and what not. It's the bright red they have fully optioned out (toneu cover and trailer hitch). The guys out in the field literally start up a bet when the boss gets one. Couple months later the SVT dealer up in Merced calls him and says that a '99 Lightning just "showed up." (This was 9/30/99, day I got my old Sonoma).

What had happened was some guy ordered this truck back in the spring. Waited and waited. Nobody could find this truck anywhere. So they transferred his deposit over to something else and off the guy went. Then one day this truck shows up out of the blue. They found it in a rail car in Dallas.

The Boss being the way the boss is, couldn't leave well enough alone. The thing bone stock (or maybe he had the K&N at that time) had it to 140 with an open bed. Next came the Bosani full exhaust. Ceramic headers and everything. Then the Roll-N-Lock. Only time I got to drive that truck was picking it up from the shop....the exhaust had to come off as it wasn't CARB approved and it was finally time to have the smog test done and they are automatically failed for non CARB-approved stuff. Though that fixed an annoying rattle and about 3500-4000 RPM from the muffler or Cat. And the boss liked to drive in that area... I just had to check it out. Boost gauge would never move just tootling back. It's something to watch the boost gauge just flip when you punch it. The grin factor was something else.

He put like 15K on that truck in 6 mos. driving. So he bought an '00 4x4. Same body style. Std. cab Flareside...was "a dog" as he told me so on when an Eaton Supercharger. Slightly smaller unit that what's on the Lightning. He pulled a trailer back from Mendota one day. The next day it was in the tranny shop getting beefed up. He was chirping the tires ever time he would start.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-01-2004, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like da boss has too much $$ to play with. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Quad Patrol

Skinner, wish I could of made it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Did get somethings accomplished this weekend. Finally put the batteries on my trailer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Can tell they put out a little more energy, then what, we were used to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Decided to go with 2 battery boxes side by side, took a little work with a dremel to get them to fit.
Now, I have to troubleshoot why, when the truck is plugged into the trailer, it doesn't charge the batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I know the trailer part works, when I had my Chevy, it would charge the batteries and run the trailer. But, when I got the PSD, I noticed it didn't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]It does have a 30 amp fuse in the fuse box on the truck, but it still doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas on what to check[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]All lights on the trailer work.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Quad Patrol

Hoss, I see you are in the Holloween spirit by the looks of your avatar[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

MD check to make sure that you are getting 12V at the pin on the 7-pin connector. Something could be loose somewhere.

On that note, I think I've got another convertee to 2x6V. One couple who was with me had to jump start the generator almost every time they needed it. Trailer is 2 years old and they've always had problems with the battery. They have a slow draw in there somewhere. Reminds me...need to send them that link.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: Trasher
I had sleep apnea. That's where you stop breathing during the night. After my sleep study it was found that I stopped breathing for 10 seconds or more, over 250 times a night[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You can go to bed and get the hours of sleep in but still not feel rested. You want to sleep during the day and you can fall asleep very quickly, within a minute.

I snored like a freight train and drove anybody crazy. My kids could hear me down the hall with the doors closed!

Last night my wife stated that I didn't snore at all so let's see how this plays out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Man you sound like me. I have had girlfriends tell me that i dont breath for minutes at a time and they cant wake me up. Part of the reason i gave up drinkin. It was way worse then. I know there is a definate difference in rest those few nights it doesnt attack me bad. I can always tell when its been a bad night. throat feels like ya got gravel in it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Originally posted by: rescuediver

Toyo, I saw you updated your pics a few days ago. Those are some nice mounts your uncle has[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]I'd love to get a mountain lion[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, can't hunt them in Ca. anymore and because they are a protected species now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]can't go out of state and then, bring it back into California[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
The cougar Came out of canada. He actually got two of them on that hunt and the other is on the wall as a rug. That particular one he shot 70' up in a tree and it was jumpin tree to tree and then fell. the video of its wild. The Moose is from the Yukon i believe and the Caribou somewhere in alaska and he das doll sheep and several Big deer. antalop axis deer Pretty much every northern american horned critter. also therre is a wolverine infront of the cougar and a procupine and some birds. the black bear He raised on the ranchg feeding it twinkies and molasas and ho ho's and ding dongs and what not. Bears love sweets. And he even wormed it a couple weeks before harvesting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It was a yummy critter.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy

Toyo, I saw you updated your pics a few days ago. Those are some nice mounts your uncle has[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]I'd love to get a mountain lion[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, can't hunt them in Ca. anymore and because they are a protected species now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]can't go out of state and then, bring it back into California[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
The cougar Came out of canada. He actually got two of them on that hunt and the other is on the wall as a rug. That particular one he shot 70' up in a tree and it was jumpin tree to tree and then fell. the video of its wild. The Moose is from the Yukon i believe and the Caribou somewhere in alaska and he das doll sheep and several Big deer. antalop axis deer Pretty much every northern american horned critter. also therre is a wolverine infront of the cougar and a procupine and some birds. the black bear He raised on the ranchg feeding it twinkies and molasas and ho ho's and ding dongs and what not. Bears love sweets. And he even wormed it a couple weeks before harvesting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It was a yummy critter.
sure ya rotten dogs, come to the pristine wilderness of Canada to hunt and murder the poor, defenceless animals.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I'm telling PETA!!

hey Toyo, i think what you described was caused by girlfriend covering your face with something while you slept. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'd like to go further, but i fear i'd offend the censors.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Skinner, wish I could of made it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Did get somethings accomplished this weekend. Finally put the batteries on my trailer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Can tell they put out a little more energy, then what, we were used to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Decided to go with 2 battery boxes side by side, took a little work with a dremel to get them to fit.
Now, I have to troubleshoot why, when the truck is plugged into the trailer, it doesn't charge the batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I know the trailer part works, when I had my Chevy, it would charge the batteries and run the trailer. But, when I got the PSD, I noticed it didn't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]It does have a 30 amp fuse in the fuse box on the truck, but it still doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas on what to check[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]All lights on the trailer work.
MD, IIRC i'm pretty sure in the underhood fuse box, you need to add one of those little square black relays. i may have an extra I could send with the manual (when i sell the 160). ask the Ford dealer if that sounds correct, i'm pretty sure i had to do that to mine for the trailer brake controller AND aux-batt charge connections to work. i think i had to add 2 relays. If Ford charges you for more than the part, they're ripping you off.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
hey Toyo, i think what you described was caused by girlfriend covering your face with something while you slept. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'd like to go further, but i fear i'd offend the censors.
Well ya know i wouldnt put it past em. Friggin psycho's. well i can't say that. they all loved me too much. so much i felt they was obssesive and it drove me nutz so i issue a self distruct order and screw everything up. its always my fault. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel