Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: rescuediver

So, then if I take how many amps something is drawing, divide that into the amp hours the battery says it will put out, then, that is how long the battery will run that particular item, is that correct? And, running the batteries in parallel doubles that time
Roughly yes that is the theory [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Well you guys have been busy while I was off screwing around. Our warehouse manager is in the market for a 4x4 ute. He sold his when he moved into town and now regrets it (the selling the quad, not the move.) He has a cabin up at Beasore Meadows and had to walk 1/2mile yesterday in knee deep snow to close it up for the winter. He wants either a Yamaha or Honda so I printed him out all the specs. Anyways....

Yeah, the 6Vs you want to run in series, while the 12Vs you want to run parallel. Or you can run the 6Vs in series-parallel (takes multiples of two and a LOT of room.) if you want a LOT of run time and can afford the weight. You also don't necessarily have to run the batteries terminal to terminal. You can use some type of a lug in a box to do this. I'm sure an RV store would have them, or you could get some lugs from an electrical supply house that are rated for the size and number of wires you have.

The link page I found has a TON of great info. Like getting the batteries out of the black plastic boxes and into a compartment somewhere as they cook in the summer time. He also goes into the different battery technologies out there and pros and cons. Basically how much $$ you want to spend. I found it when I was helping out a friend with a tent camper.

I've never heard of anyone running 12Vs in series. You'd need a converter and would start to lose power do to the conversions.

Time for really bad ASCII graphics:

ick. The forum software ate all the spaces that made it what it was. Oh well.

I wish the forums had a PRE tag. It'd look really pretty I swear.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Air Cooled Rider

MD correct. Also the thing is that you will have to adjust for the voltage going down which increases the Amperage of the draw.

A = Watts / Volts.

So:

10A = 120Watts @ 12 Volts (120/12=10)

Automotice battery systems are 12V nominal. Basically that's their average. IIRC a fully charged and healthy automotive lead acid battery is rated at 12.7V max. And drop to like 10.5V. Below that you risk toasting it. A standard automotive battery can go deep cycle about 3 or 6 times before it's shot. A "deep cycle" can go many more timees. However, you should never use more than about 50% even on a deep cycle.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

On our boats we run 8D - 12v batteries in series. on has 2 sets hooked in parralel it take a ridiculous amount of amps at 24 volts to start the main. if the batterys are not holding higher than 12.7v the engine wont turn over. and its tough cuz the generator on that one blew up. so pretty much if your gonna take that boat out you dont shut the main off.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Air Cooled Rider

I love google...especially when you can go back a year later and find the same thing. I'm pretty sure this is the page I found before.

The 12volt Side of life (Part 1)

Old 10-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
All i can say is anyone who thinks its ok for the government to legislate who a business can cator to can goto hell and die cuz thats the biggest bullcrap overstepping of power yet. next thing you know they gonna put hoss in jail for fornicating with sheep in the privacy of his own barn!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

(I had a way better rant when i was mad but when i posted it it gave me an error and i didnt feel like retyping. From now on long rants will get copied before pressing post)
I know exactly what you mean. you shoulda seen the hoops i had to jump thru to open the Leftorium. but you've given me a great idea! Ned's narcotics, crack and opium den. Hey, you said i should be able to sell to whoever i want to, and i'd have millions of customers, and the gov't can butt-out cuz of what you said.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Whitewater
MD, check it out.

You might find additional information there.
Hoss, thanks for the link to that thread. When I have more time, I'll visit it and see what they say. What stinks is, I just bought a new 12v , deep cycle battery, then, I thought of running two batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Now, I'm trying to figure out which way to go. My local r.v. repair shop basically told me it's really not a big deal going either way. He did say, the 6v would last longer then the 12v set up, due to it being heavier in build. He also, suggested running the wires pos-pos[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I'm soooooo, confused[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
your RV dealer is a moron. if you hook up the 2 pos terminals to one another on the batteries, you will have a parallel circuit of 6V, and nothing will work. you need to connect the batts together. now that you've committed to a 12V deep cycle, just get another one. BUT, the two 6V do last longer than 2-12v, so to me, that is a significant difference. depends how easy it is for you to re-charge them, and how long you camp disconnected.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Originally posted by: nedflanders
All i can say is anyone who thinks its ok for the government to legislate who a business can cator to can goto hell and die cuz thats the biggest bullcrap overstepping of power yet. next thing you know they gonna put hoss in jail for fornicating with sheep in the privacy of his own barn!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

(I had a way better rant when i was mad but when i posted it it gave me an error and i didnt feel like retyping. From now on long rants will get copied before pressing post)
I know exactly what you mean. you shoulda seen the hoops i had to jump thru to open the Leftorium. but you've given me a great idea! Ned's narcotics, crack and opium den. Hey, you said i should be able to sell to whoever i want to, and i'd have millions of customers, and the gov't can butt-out cuz of what you said.
Ned sometimes i wonder where you learnt to read. cuz you surely didnt learn for shiot. I said nothing about sales of illegal narcotics I said "who a business can cator to" which says nothing about providing of illegal substances. All i am talkin about is a legal substance other wise known as tobacco. but really hell with people if they wanna ruin their lives with drugs alcohol whatever go for it. but when your brain is mush and your family is on the street dont expect any sympathy from me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

So, then if I take how many amps something is drawing, divide that into the amp hours the battery says it will put out, then, that is how long the battery will run that particular item, is that correct? And, running the batteries in parallel doubles that time
NO!NO!NO!
SERIES=adding up your voltage, so 6+6=12. parallel...... you still have the same voltage.

the rating is how long the battery will last based on an INDUSTRY STANDARD draw test/rating, which is 25 amps. so, they say a deep cycle 12V will last 120 min while drawing 25amps. unlikely you'll ever draw 25 amps in your trailer, more like 5 amps for the big items like heater fan or water pump. lights use very little amperage. they ALL use 12V. BTW, make sure you use the proper low-heat bulbs. i think they're 1153 bulbs. it should say inside when you remove light cover.they all fit, like tail light bulbs, but they generate too much heat and burn the plastic covers.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nedflanders

Ned sometimes i wonder where you learnt to read. cuz you surely didnt learn for shiot. I said nothing about sales of illegal narcotics I said "who a business can cator to" which says nothing about providing of illegal substances. All i am talkin about is a legal substance other wise known as tobacco. but really hell with people if they wanna ruin their lives with drugs alcohol whatever go for it. but when your brain is mush and your family is on the street dont expect any sympathy from me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
well actually, you never specified any of that, you just said a "business", with no provision for whether it was legal or not. you may have MEANT something totally different in your roid-induced rage, but i only responded to what you SAID, not what you MEANT. and drugs are huge business, not legal, but huge. and tobacco IS an illegal substance....to minors. and it just leads to all the other bad drugs i was talkin 'bout. yep, tobacco is the first of the stepping stone drugs.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel