Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Creator, When I tow my trailer, my rig starts pulling to the right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Ford has replaced the rotors and brake pad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I don't get the shakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img](Thank God[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) but, I think Ford does have a problem with thier front brakes. One of the things I heard, from a mechanic that "specializes" at his own brakes shop. is Ford put out a letter to it's service centers, Telling them to hand torque the lug nuts on the trucks and not use an impact wrench. Apparently, the impact doesn't tighten the lugs evenly, and when they are under heavy braking[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]they heat up and start distorting. So, I suggest, have your friend have Ford replace or turn the rotors, put new pads on and torque the wheels down by hand. Then, see if that helps. I'm getting ready to have the dealer here do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My warranty is up in 14,000 miles and I want new brakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] at Ford's expense[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Don't understand why it would pull to the right unless you have a front caliber piston that is hangin up and dragging. Ford has hads major brake problems in most of their product lines for years. I used to own a Brake shop and loved seeing customers drive up in one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

This guy has already been the rotors/caliber/pad route without helping the situation. the shaking is in the rear-not the fronts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Hand torqing lug nuts is nothing new. That should be done on all vehicles. I never had my techs use an impact on any lug period.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Creator, have you done any cross desert riding? Thwat's something I would love to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Used to race about every weekend. Trials evenys were held on the first and third Sundays so that what i did on those weekends and the others I would do alot of Gran Prix's. Mostly 100 miles races. Either straight 100 miles or a track that used 3-10 loops to equal 100 miles or so.

The reason why I liked that stuff is it's mainly just you and the bike versus everyone. I did some moto X but it seemed like who ever had the best, latest, greatest pipe or shock set up won.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Trials has changed a bunch lately and I think it has hurt the sport even more than ever since you need ***** of steel to ride the traps they set up. Boulder jumping and wall climbing is not something that most people can or want to do.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

MD barely made it out in time to hook meet the group. We were packing it up when he showed up. Interesting to say the least. Got some really good video with the new digital video camera. Night vision and 120KV high-tension lines in fog...that was interesting.

The new tires were awesome out there. It was foggy ALL weekend. We went up on top of a peak in the park and got a little sun on Friday when I showed up, but that was it. 100' visibility in wet fog on a quad is a bit hair raising.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

he probably had the jones' and had to ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I do not own one personally but my best friend does. His is a 2002 and he lives in Yuma, Az. He pulls a 32 foot 5th wheel up to Camplands by the Sea (near Mission Beach) I am sure you know where I am talking about! lol He said he only used 10 gallons of gas and he drove 45 mph on the steepest of hills.

I would also like to mention that he is very impressed with Ford's new 6.0 L...more Hp and torque and a bit peppier. At any rate...quality is there. Hope this helps and please ask any questions that you may have!

Old 01-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

He didn't ride. He just came out to meet me and the crew. The only site people left that anyone here knows is mstrquad and myself. A couple other lurkers come around but never post that are part of the group.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Didn't drag a toy wit him?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Quad Patrol

[quote]
Originally posted by: Trasher
[i]]

Don't understand why it would pull to the right unless you have a front caliber piston that is hangin up and dragging. Ford has hads major brake problems in most of their product lines for years. I used to own a Brake shop and loved seeing customers drive up in one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

This guy has already been the rotors/caliber/pad route without helping the situation. the shaking is in the rear-not the fronts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Hand torqing lug nuts is nothing new. That should be done on all vehicles. I never had my techs use an impact on any lug period.
Creator, that's what it was doing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] last time, the piston started to melt from over heating[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]don't know why, the trailer I pull, is well within the capabilities of the truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and I have a electric brake, too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So, I'm all confused about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 02:56 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Trasher
Didn't drag a toy wit him?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Nope, I didn't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I stayed up late to put the quad back together[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]But had a brain fart[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]and put the push rod in wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]SSOOOOOOO, I skipped church[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and ran out there, to meet Skinner and mstrquad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It was nice to put a face to the screen names[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, I came home, turned the heater on in the garage[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and re-did the clutch. Now, it works great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] need to pull the sand tires off it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and put on the mud tires to possibly head somewhere close next week[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just to make sure everthing works[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Quad Patrol

Creator, I would love to do a race like that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] however, I wouldn't last[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, I can dream about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel