Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:50 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: HA2
Originally posted by: rescuediver
I have an 2001, F250, 7.3 powerstroke, crewcab, 4x4, power chip, banks transmission chip, 5" exhaust, 2" lift, Leer "Browning" campershell and bed tray/roller. It is awesome best of all, it gets better fuel mileage then my old '00 chevy Z71
what were you getting with the Z and what were you towing?
HA2, Around town, the two trucks were getting the same mileage around 15 mpg. On the Highway the same again, about 19 mph. I did get 22 mpg out of the f250 on a trip back home from Paso Robles using Chevron diesel. This was with no towing involved at about 68 mph. The big difference between the two comes when I'm towing my toys. I have 4 quads, 21 foot pull trailer, honda 5000 generator and all the camping gear, 1/2 the house for the 4 women in my life[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]etc. With my Z-71, I would stand the 2 big quads up in the back of my truck, I was getting 10 mpg. When I built the rack for the two big quads(last picture in my bio) my mpg went to 12. I can only think that the quads improved the aerodynamics. TheZ-71 had a hard time finding what coasting gear it wanted to be in, so, when I travel I-5 south or heavy head wind, I would put the trailer mode on. With the F250, I remove the camper shell. after loading everything, just like the Z-71, plus one more quad, My mileage is 15 mpg towing all this weight. When I had my Z-71, I had it weighed at a certified scale. Total weight of everything was approx. 12,500 lbs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Big difference is also the power. With the Z-71, it was adequate for flat land, but going over the Cuesta grade, I was crawling, especially northbound. I hoped I never had to stop on the grade. Don't think I would get it going forwards[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]With the F250, It still has all the power I need in reserve. When I get on it, I'm doing 80 mph before I know it. It's great for getting me out of situations that I don't want to be around. If you need anymore, let me know, Lt. Dan

Old 07-23-2004, 04:17 AM
Quad Patrol

Boy, I check in and spend 30 minutes just catching up on the "days of us old atvers"

WW glad your wife had a good time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That's what it's all about,. But, just imagine, with all that money you just spent, what new toys could you have bought[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Actually, The wife and I enjoy our gourmet meals when we are out on the town too. Here's a thought to ponder, Anyone know what else cough drops are good for?
Anyways, sounds like a great trip, can't wait to see the hot tub, I mean, rafting trip pictures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]Both are water sports right?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Confused, Who keeps dropping the soap on a rope? Not me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And you were correct about the first comment, they are all female dogs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Gotta keep it clean[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Looking at WW's wife, she looks to be fit herself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think, she could take WW. But, you know what, I think he likes to be thrown around on the ground. And WW fits him.
To get serious[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Confused, I haven't driven a Duramax myself, have a hunting buddy that has one. He likes it alot, he tows a 31 foot trailer to Oregon and says the Sierra cause him no problems at all. He can keep up with the pack at 80 mph.

When you guys want to post the pictures of your significant others, let me know ahead of time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I will use my best judgment, to see if they are worthy enough, for the rest of the guys to drool, I mean look at too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2004, 05:24 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Boy, I check in and spend 30 minutes just catching up on the "days of us old atvers"
Speak for yourself. I only just clicked over 28 miles yesterday.

Here's a thought to ponder, Anyone know what else cough drops are good for?
ummm...enlighten us.

Both are water sports right?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Water sports is a WHOLE NOTHER topic (and not appropriate for this site. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

When you guys want to post the pictures of your significant others, let me know ahead of time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I will use my best judgment, to see if they are worthy enough, for the rest of the guys to drool, I mean look at too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
What's this significant other thing you speak of?

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 05:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, got an even uglier pic of me posted now, plus photos of our Larson Hill trip.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:53 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, they haven't made it to the moderators yet. I'll stay up until they get there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Then, I'll take a look and if they don't send the kids screaming or make me blind, I'll approve them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

BalckandRed, lets see;
#1 Your a stud[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Wish I had the stamina like a young stud like you, to go 28 miles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
#2 Nice cool sensations[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
#3 I agree, and can not elaborate more on #2[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
#4 Significant other as in wife, girlfriend, husband and/or boyfriend. Pick one or all that apply[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, Pictures are up and running. I bet mom was pleased with the way you were raising her son without her being there. Parental Supervision at it's best[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I cringed when I saw you son riding up that ramp, for a little guy, he has some wabbles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Like the picture of the river crossing. The areas your riding in look nice. What's the temperature, Is it hot and muggy with misquitoes buzzing around looking for some blood to suck?

Well, it's Zzzz time, type at you later. Lt. Dan

Old 07-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, the ramp is a little scary, but he's used to it. I walk beside in case of problem (none so far). the steep hill he went down on that ride was a lot scarier. often I back my quad onto ramp from home ( did I tell you that before?).

it was around 80-90 degrees. no mosquitos, no humidity, it's pretty arid just north of there.some pesty little black flies and a lot of cattle grazing the trails. our riding buddies were there for a day or 2 longer than us. They saw a bear and 2 cubs. one of the other people in the group/atv club were riding, husband doubling wife. he caught a flash of something and a bear came barrelling down a hill, hit his front tire, rolled over the front rack, and then took off.they had to go back for a change of underwear after that one.

the elevation is high (close to a mile), so it never gets that hot. man, does it snow there in the winter!! it's in the middle of a high mountain pass. driving is treacherous, but I'm told there's lots of snowmobile trails and they're supposed to be a lot of fun. there are 1-2 months of hot temps, the rest of the time it is mild or cool.

way too dusty this time. look at our faces for the beer shot. Oh, and lots of diesels around the parking lot[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2004, 01:24 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

i run a 03 1500 2wd stock with a z400 stood up and a 250r trike through the mountains to our deserts it got 17-18mpg. 10mpg is outrageous, our 454 dually got that through the grades to ocotillo from san diego. whew!

I just had to ask because im trying to buy a 15-17ft travel trailor and want to know what to expect.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 07-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Duramax? What in God's name are you looking at a Chevy for? Are you sick of a Man's truck? Do you like whimpy front independent suspension? Oh, I forget, Confusedbuyer is looking for "Comfort" and not durability.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I understand now, you must not be going to take it off of the pavement. It's okay, I always knew you were a Rear Admiral in the queer brigade of the Great White North.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Is that the "Legend" you were talking about? I can see it now...the personal ads read, "Confused Canucklehead seeks desperate *******."[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And Lt. Dan, where in the heck are pictures of your ugly mug? Are you hiding behind a helmet?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I heard that the new '05 Ford will have Ind. front susp. also. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel