Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

this post is all about trucks. my Ford diesel mechanic buddy came by 2night. he lives about 3-4 hrs away in Kelowna. he's here for cancer treatment. he had a bone marrow transplant 4 years ago and the prednesone and other drugs are killing him. he looked awful and is suffering alot, which doesn't seem fair after what he's been through the past 5 years. wife and 3 kids. wish him well.

we chatted about the 6.0 vs. 7.3 diesel. he doesn't like how they went to a smaller block and get more power, wondering how long they will last. he figures no substitute for cubic inches. I asked about the Cummins and Duramax. He says nothing can touch the 6.0 AFTER you put in the Banks package (chip, pipe,gauges, tranny commander). I didn't realize Ford has a new tranny in the 6.0.

I've been thinking of crossing over to the dark side (GM). Man that Duramax is quiet. ANd I hear good stuff about the Allison tranny. Since GM can't design their own tranny and engine and had to get someone else to do it, they must be good. Too bad Dodge can't get someone to build a decent truck around the Cummins. Okay, will you guys still respect me if i went to GM? What do you think of them? sure don't see many used ones for sale. they got .9% financing too.

rescue, don't apologize for the actions of some greedy moron tow-truck driver. It can happen anywhere. we have several tow companies that bid on police work and they usually award all the work to 2 firms, and then they alternate days doing police tows. they charge a very fair rate to broken down vehicles on highway.

my buddy just emailed pics of our ride from this weekend. can't wait to post them.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:00 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well well well. Confused, we'll just have to beat you down like the red headed step child that I am.

We'll have to see what time says about that new Powerstroke. It was just something that had to be done I guess.

Yes, Ford built a new tranny just for the Powerstroke. It's called the TorqShift. It's also available with the V10 next year in the new SDs. By one explanation I read, even though it says it's a 5 speed, it's actually a six speed due to some particular way it shifts or something. Maybe they or I am wrong on that issue. They do the multiple gear thing. Like locking 2nd and 3rd together.

That Cummins is a beautiful motor. Rumour mill has Dodge going to a Benz diesel when the Cummins contract is up (makes sense!) and Ford possibly telling International-Harvester to take a hike and using Cummins. They already use the Cummins ISB (essentially the one in the Dodge) in the F-650 and bigger (it falls between the 2 Powerstrokes and the Cat 3126B[now THAT is a motor...800lb/ft.)

Diesels are just too hot right now. One because people are turning back to them because of the power ratings and the fuel mileage/cost issues. Big block gassers aren't moving. One friend was offered an even trade. He has a '98 Dakota 5.2 Manual, standard cab, short bed. Offer was a '98 Ram 2500 4x4, standard cab, short bed, can't remember the tranny, with the 8.0 V10.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, Hate to hear about your buddy there. Wish him and his famioy well. Can never tale things for granted.

You are right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] This is about trucks, atvs and everything in between[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I think 2 of the 3 major players have a nice truck out there. You can pick things about all three trucks, that we all like or dislike. That's probably the only thing we all, really can agree on. Over-all I like the blue oval best. But, hard to dawg the other one. They looked at the market and address what they think the consumers wanted and environmentalist too. We have better engines and transmissions, that burn cleaner, safer fuel, run quieter and still give us the mileage and more power and torque. First year models usually have their share of problems. When you buy that vehicle, you should know this, and expect some problems.
Confused, enjoy what ever truck you get. Just remember, if we ever meet up, I'll be waiting for you at the top of the hill[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And you can't go wrong with Banks. I truly enjoy the package I have in my truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

BlackandRed, The new Duramax hasn't proven itself yet in my book. It is a good combination of engine and transmission. But, Chevy couldn't put a good package together, so, they went outside to two reputable businesses. They do have a nice package, but, I'm not sold on it yet. I have confidence in the new Ford package, and they had a nice package before it. And a nice package before that. They always seem to be making the powerstroke a better engine. Changing with the times and they are keeping up. I think GMC is still trying to catch up. And they couldn't do it on their own. Cummins is a nice engine, but Dodge just can't build a quailty truck to carry it.
Diesels are very hot, I remember around here 2 years ago, you good get one for around 36-38k. Now, they are 46k to 50k. You are getting a very nice truck, But heck, my house only cost a little more then that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Used diesels around here, are still hard to come by, unless, it has 100,000 plus miles on it. Which really isn't a problem. It's just everything else that can go wrong with it. Let's hear it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lt. Dan

Old 07-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

my post is a great big IF. reality, $$ will probably/ultimately dictate that I stick with what I have. or, spend a couple K to upgrade performance.actually, i have ZERO beef with the engine, it's the tranny that has me scared. can it handle the big power and steep grades with the big load? mine is an automatic, 4:10 gears. pics will post soon of truck and trailer with quads all loaded up.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Holy cow!! Where do I start? It looks like you guys have been busy talking without me. I'm a little bit out of the loop now.

Moab was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My wife left with a smile on her face.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Vacation recap: 20 miles of hiking at Arches National Park (talk about beautiful...and hot). My wife was about ready to kill me at about 16 miles. It was nice just to get out and be with a bunch of Euro-trash, I mean, European tourists.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We also spent a day on the Colorado River (Westwater Canyon). Westwater Canyon has been called, the best day-trip in the West (11 rapids in 17-miles). Pictures will be posted as soon as I get them developed - hopefully tomorrow. Hot tub pictures anyone????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Oh, I just realized that Ready-Whip isn't just for hot chocolate.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I really want to get my ATV's there. Slickrock looks fun. We plan on going back in the fall or next spring and stay in the trailer (much cheaper).

I don't know where to start to reply / bag on / humiliate everyone...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

wb whitewater. Don't worry, a pic of your wife covers the last 2 for most of us....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-22-2004, 04:47 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
I have an 2001, F250, 7.3 powerstroke, crewcab, 4x4, power chip, banks transmission chip, 5" exhaust, 2" lift, Leer "Browning" campershell and bed tray/roller. It is awesome best of all, it gets better fuel mileage then my old '00 chevy Z71
what were you getting with the Z and what were you towing?

Old 07-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Confused,

Sorry we kept on pestering you for pictures...you're one ugly dude!!!! I see you were out on a conjugal visit with your buddies. You didn't hump their legs did you?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Now since your ugly mug is posted, all the chicks will gravitate to me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It's too bad you drove the two sisters away.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I still think "The Sisters" is an old man sitting in his basement with a big gut, scratching himself.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Oh, and you liked the beers and queers comment? I thought that was quite appropriate.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

REI: it's a backpackers / paddlers / mountain bikers / climbers heaven. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's kind of a Cabella's without guns. Oh, they are building a Cabella's 40 miles from my house (Lehi, Utah).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

ATV problems: my sportsman 400 has been running rough for a while (burning rich). I thought it was a dirty needle jet or something like that. I took the carb apart and cleaned it really good, re-jetted it 4 times, installed a new pilot jet, cleaned the K&N air filter, replaced spark-plugs (several times - very sooty looking), adjusted the throttle cable (I had EFI problems)........I just ordered a needle jet, jet needle, spring, and associated parts. I guess I'll see how that goes.

My sportsman 500 was rolled a week ago and has a cracked master cylinder reservoir (a little JB weld and it'll be fixed), however, it revs really high now. I haven't had time to look at that problem yet.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
wb whitewater. Don't worry, a pic of your wife covers the last 2 for most of us....

Yeah, I think she's kinda perdy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Is confused your soul mate?

Old 07-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

now how would you link me and B&R ? Dan's my honey.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And those weren't my riding companions, those were my prison-b!tches (oh, in the states, I believe the correct prison vernacular is,"those are my kids", right Lt. Dan?).
very relieved to hear you find me ugly. your type of people always scare me when they come on so strong (tranny-types in drag). that's why I added the beer gut. keeps them away.

I'm confused whitewater (once again the name fits)... you said Mrs. W left with a smile on her face, but I don't recall being anywhere near there and it couldn't have been you creating the smile after that 20 mile hike. Sounds like you've taken several heavyweight shots to the head (the Tyson in his prime type shots). Why? Okay, you take your beautiful bride on a well planned, romantic get away, no kids. Great so far. Then (you idiot!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] ), you wear her out on a 20 mile hike/drag?? She'd be too tired to be cuddly later! Oh, stupid me... now i get it! You exercise her to the brink of exhaustion so you don't have to fight and wrestle to have your way. Very clever. I take back the previous comments. BUT, isn't that a little like necrophelia??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

as for the chicks gravitating to you, i can see that. apparently they dig the grandfatherly type; they feel grandpa can be trusted and they won't be worn out by them. whereas when they see a stud like me, a legend really, they know they'll be sore and worn out for a long time and it's very intimidating. not too mention they're afraid of discovering all the unused parts that will never get used again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

once again, I've offended most, so I'll leave now. my work here is done. Hey WW, you never even commented on me questioning my faith in Ford and suggesting a move to the dark side (GM). Has anyone driven both the Duramax and Powerstroke??Comments?

BTW, those were only temp photos so my closest internet pals could put a face to the yappy mug. i'll be changing soon. we had a great ride this weekend, and my pal just sent me some great shots he got.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel