Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Kind of expensive (almost what you paid for your winch) http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=78832 Need a polarity reversing solenoid. Or you can do it with 4 Ford solenoids (what Warn uses). The only reversing solenoid I can find online is a marin unit for anchors and runs about $90 (all boating stuff is horridly expensive).

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Quad Patrol

Ouch, I thought I could put something cheaper together[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Here's a picture of one, I found on e-bay, they have a diagram[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (it's towards the bottom of the page) on how they do it. Do you recognize anything like it? Is this, what would cost so much?

winch rocker

Old 03-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Quad Patrol

Oh yea, I did think about opening the control box and duplicating it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My luck, I'd ruin it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and be azzout on the whole thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Air Cooled Rider

The big thing to find is that relay/solenoid. Rocker isn't that big of a deal (probably could be picked up at any auto store.) If you don't care about having power out, it's not that big of a deal a $12 Ford starter solenoid would work. You would then only need a waterproof momentary contact switch. I found a pic of a Warn with the cover removed and that's all it uses (well, they aren't the Ford fender mounts, but they are very close) and you can nearly the same thing at Kragen, but 4 @ 12 would run you about $50 OTD. For that I would just buy one of those universal kits and everything is already there and it would be much more compact than 4 solenoids.

You have to switch the + and the - and swap them for reverse. One set gets pulled in for Winching In and the other set gets pulled in for Winching Out.

That looks exactly like the contactor for the Warn ATV winches which goes $80 http://www.gowarn.com/atv-replacement-contactor.asp.

You'll need a contactor that is rated for at least 60 Amps, if not a little higher. 700 Watts / 12 Volts = 58 Amps.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Quad Patrol

Thanks B&R[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just might have to go with the real thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Oh well, I'm still ahead of the curve on this thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2005, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

md, we'll prolly stay and leave on Sunday following (is that the 27th???). why not duct tape the remote to the handlebar[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ?? what about the factory handlebar thumb switch ( or is that $80 from gowarn?)

on the WD hitch, the rv dealer told me the sales video they got shows a Tempo pulling a trailer with no rear wheels, just to illustrate the point.

i bought some 10' jumper cables today, 10G wire, smaller clamps.....perfect for atvs i figured. at $3.50 (US) OTD, i bought 10 sets for buddys. who wouldn't want a set at that price????? I can't buy the wire and clamps for that price!

well, ttyl, i'm off to a curling bonspiel this weekend, teams from Saskatchewan, Calgary, Edmonton. should be fun.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Air Cooled Rider

I've kinda wanted to get a set of mini jumper cables for the quad. Would be nice and trick to have a set, just in case. Never know when something is going to happen. Esp. once the batteries start to get to being 3-5 years old.

Any info on those confused?

Old 03-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
md, we'll prolly stay and leave on Sunday following (is that the 27th???). why not duct tape the remote to the handlebar[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ?? what about the factory handlebar thumb switch ( or is that $80 from gowarn?)

on the WD hitch, the rv dealer told me the sales video they got shows a Tempo pulling a trailer with no rear wheels, just to illustrate the point.

i bought some 10' jumper cables today, 10G wire, smaller clamps.....perfect for atvs i figured. at $3.50 (US) OTD, i bought 10 sets for buddys. who wouldn't want a set at that price????? I can't buy the wire and clamps for that price!

well, ttyl, i'm off to a curling bonspiel this weekend, teams from Saskatchewan, Calgary, Edmonton. should be fun.
Ok, Now that I know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] you will be there that weekend, I'll know in a day or two, if, I'm going to make it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Skinner, he said he bought 10 sets for buddies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm sure we are part of that equation[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] after all, we've been chatting for almost a year now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Have fun at curling[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2005, 02:50 AM
Quad Patrol

I put the steering dampner on the quad today. I wasn't very happy with the instructions[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] They were hand drawn[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]and, I had to figure out what the hell some of the drawings were[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]After about 40 mins. finally figured it out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]There's not much room to work by the steering stem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Now when you turn the bars, the bike goes shish, shish[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2005, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
We're gonna run up to Pilot Pk which isn't that high. Plus after 2 debeaded tires last time and like and hour of getting 3 quads unstuck...I'm up for some actual seat time where *I'm* the one driving. LOL.

Ok, this is kinda on topic. Someone posted it over in the forums on an rv forum site. It's TFF. From a parts It was a disclaimer in a Draw-Tite WD hitch installation manual (or something like that."

"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HOOK-UP OR TOW WITH A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE WITH THE REAR WHEELS REMOVED. This will cause severe instability, loss of control and structural failure."
Uhhhh....I don't even want to know....
At least i didnt spray too much mud on ya. hahaha

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel