Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Is that a form of birth control? Like a reversible visectomy?
Sounds sort of painful.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: nedflanders
i know, i hear the exact same things, but i can't think of anyone with a dually that has them. I just haven't noticed a noticeable difference.
I've always wondered about the better ride with air bags, especially the way most smaller (relative, small being 3/4 & 1 ton) trucks have them as an auxillary to the main springs. I could seem them riding better than say an auxillay overload spring. The bag is softer and gives better than a spring, which then has to be retarded by the shocks.

If the truck had ONLY airbags (like the big rigs, Class 8 trucks), then I could definately see it riding smoother than a leaf based suspension. Had a teachers aid who drove a Volvo around '89 (actually was crossing the Bay Bridge during the quake). Said it road like glass, loaded or not.

Are the bags installed so that they ever so slightly take a load off of the standard springs? Then I could see some ride quality, but even then it seems like would be still ride stiff, as the springs have a little further to go before they get bent to a softer spot.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 02-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Anything bigger then 6" inches needs to be split
that's why I fold mine in half! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I am not going there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL!

Old 02-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Quad Patrol

LOL! I might agree with you on the ball placement[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] IF, he had stretched his arms out in an attempt to get the yardage[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, NNOOOO!! he just tucked the ball in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That's why I didn't get TO upset when Hasselbeck fumbled the ball (on the call that they finally got right) At least he was fighting for the needed yardage.
actually, they initially made the WRONG call on that one too!! I'm surprised that a$$hole ref overturned it, especially after he didn't overturn the non-TD by BR.
From what I heard, he got an extra $10,000 for not over-turning the call[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Quad Patrol

Your already pretty stout in the back end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I meant to say the dually is already pretty stout in the back end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL! You mean to tell me with all the toys stacked on the truck and trailer attached[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You can't tell the difference[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Everyone I know of that has air bags (and not the wife kind) loves them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i know, i hear the exact same things, but i can't think of anyone with a dually that has them. I just haven't noticed a noticeable difference.
Must be the extra cushion in your back-end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

LOL!

Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Trasher
Anything bigger then 6" inches needs to be split
that's why I fold mine in half! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I tie it in a double knot

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Is that a form of birth control? Like a reversible visectomy?
LOL! Now that is just wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Why go through it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just to have it reversed??????

Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Quad Patrol

I've always wondered about the better ride with air bags, especially the way most smaller (relative, small being 3/4 & 1 ton) trucks have them as an auxillary to the main springs. I could seem them riding better than say an auxillay overload spring. The bag is softer and gives better than a spring, which then has to be retarded by the shocks.

If the truck had ONLY airbags (like the big rigs, Class 8 trucks), then I could definately see it riding smoother than a leaf based suspension. Had a teachers aid who drove a Volvo around '89 (actually was crossing the Bay Bridge during the quake). Said it road like glass, loaded or not.

Are the bags installed so that they ever so slightly take a load off of the standard springs? Then I could see some ride quality, but even then it seems like would be still ride stiff, as the springs have a little further to go before they get bent to a softer spot.

My limited mind[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] tells me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] the air bags help take the load off the springs, which keeps them from always flexing as they hit every bump on the road way. It also help remove the sag that the extra weight places on the truck.

This sag would be like the extra stuff that is in the way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] as you look at your folded over or double knot boyhood[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

levelling is the main advantage i've noticed, so not so much sag on my trailer tongue (and I use EQ bars).

Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I know that the bags hide the sagging (actually the overloading, but I won't go weight **** on you guys). It seems that if they took weight off of the standard springs (esp. unloaded) the ride would become harsher. Notice how the trucks feel smoother with a load in the back? I had to pick up a 4000A breaker last week which was about a 18" cube with 6 1.5"x4" solid copper bus bars (200-300lbs? total weight) sitting on the VERY back of the bed (just barely put it in the bed because it was a tiny fork lift) and the truck road like glass.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 02-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

yer right skinner, they do hide the over-weight cuz the axles and brakes aren't designed for that extra weight.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel