Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MalHombre
i posted a pic in my garage and nicknamed it "Mid-life Crisis"

I seen your pics a couple days ago, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get back there.

This new forum has some good points, and some very very bad points.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

try a tiny bit of superglue.
i'm thinking of starting up a barnwood reclaimation & rustic furniture business. lots of old barns falling down around here and i got the space and skills to make it go.
I have an old barn. Funny.... When I first moved here, I got the house insurance like I'm supposed to. A large woman shows up one day taking pictures. We got to talking and she said she likes to photograph old barns, so I led the way. She took pics... Yada Yada... A few weeks later I got an insurance cancellation notice! It appears those barn pics got my insurance cancelled. It was an easy fix though... I just called them up and told them I didn't want the barn insured, so they reinstated everything.

I'd kinda like the barn gone, but then again, it is a good place to store a bunch of junk.... Like old frames, pvc pipe, wheels n tires, etc. Apparently I'm not the only one that feels that way. Somebody parked an old street bike next to my barn on day. I should have took it and parted it out on ebay, but being the good citizen I am I called the police and had them carry it off. I don't know what they deal was, but the bike was in top gear when it was parked. The guy was running from something.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

try a tiny bit of superglue.
i'm thinking of starting up a barnwood reclaimation & rustic furniture business. lots of old barns falling down around here and i got the space and skills to make it go.
Oh, in the 70's and early 80's antiques really took off in value. I think if, er, I mean WHEN we get massive inflation, that should happen again.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Oh, in the 70's and early 80's antiques really took off in value. I think if, er, I mean WHEN we get massive inflation, that should happen again.
i figure my startup costs will be minimal and my my overhead will be virtually zero. i got the time, skills, storage and shop space to make it happen. i think the market isn't too saturated yet and i can provide a wide enough range of products and services that it just might work.

back to the reason we're all here. i've been talking to my motor builder and we got a handle on making a spark arrestor for my pipe. should be pretty slick. basically a screen insert and a custom endcap should do the trick.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

Newb here, but have a question about my 87 LT230E

I have a weird vibration, it comes and goes with RPM, so it is not to do with driveline (I can get it to do it in neutral), I really feel it vibrate when at higher RPMS, I just had the clutch cover off and replaced my centrifugal clutch (It was doing this before the replacement) I'm not exactly sure where to look on these engines

Thanks, Tom

Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgen89sho
Newb here, but have a question about my 87 LT230E

I have a weird vibration, it comes and goes with RPM, so it is not to do with driveline (I can get it to do it in neutral), I really feel it vibrate when at higher RPMS, I just had the clutch cover off and replaced my centrifugal clutch (It was doing this before the replacement) I'm not exactly sure where to look on these engines

Thanks, Tom
welcome to the jungle!
check all your motor mount bolts, then check your footpeg bolts. start w/ the easy stuff first.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I will have to take a look at that, I had the engine out when I did the re-ring job, I will have to look at that.

This machine, I picked up as a basket case, and am slowly getting the kinks worked out of her.

It was my wife's uncles machine, from what I can tell, things happened in this order,

swing arm bearings wore out,
causing the chain to break the seal retainer,
causing sand and dirt to get into the engine and wear out the rings,
which caused him to park the machine for years,
which where he had it stored, they backed into the quad, damaging the plastics
which the plastics were removed and discarded, along with the fuel tank, headlight bracket, and tailbar (supprisingly the seat was still there).

When I got it, it was a frame, cleaned the carb of all the crap that was built up after years of sitting, once it was running, preformed a ring job with new piston, picked up a decent set of plastics, fuel tank, headlight bracket, tail grab bar, and battery box, and have front, swing arm and rear bearings to replace, along with the seal retainer.

It's been a bit of work, but it will be worth it in the end, between this and my 91 LT-4WD, they are keeping me out of trouble... lol

Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Man, that new 230 is just being a pain. We checked the timing for the 4th time and its perfect, we used some liquid gasket to seal the valve cover on (to see if it was a vacuum leak), tried the choke in every possible position, new air filter, covered the air filter lid, it has oil, spark, its getting gas and air, the electrical has to be fine, so I just don't know.

I know you said, Randy, to check the valve lash, but I went to the valve section in the manual and it says, valves should only be adjusted by a service professional, since the difficulty and time required to adjust them is greater than the cost to have it done. My cousin said you need some special tools to do it, is that true? My tool selection isn't too great yet though. I should probably take your garage saleing advice, Randy! The girlfriend would LoVe that! lol

How do I check the magneto coil? And what'll that run if it has to be replaced?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

Wait, Randy, when you say Magneto coil, isn't that two different things? The magneto is on the motor, and the coil is under the hood.

We checked the coil by swapping for the one on my four wheeler and we still had no luck. Is there anyway it could be a plug wire? The plug wire on it is pretty sh!!ty.

Its just so frustrating since we know it can run good! It just won't kick start! Its even roll starting pretty easily.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

Got my new ASUS laptop today and its super nice! I love it. The quick boot feature is really cool. You press the button and its instantly on, no boot up at all.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.