Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I'm trying to read the porting link you posted but I can't see **** because my eyes are all teared up from laughing so hard, watching Lewis Black: Black on Broadway.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Comedy Central?

Where you at on your engine? Ever call vince? You split yer case yet? You order the BB kit?

I've had about 5 IE windows open for at least a week with different BB guy's websites,,, waiting for me to call, lol. Just can't get my rear in gear. Kustom Kraft stopped talking to me by email a LONG time ago. Sorta left me hanging. Last I remember, I was supposed to call on the 7th when they got back to work.

I think I've found the 250 4th gear on ebay. I hope so anyway, coz I just bought a big box of gears.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Comedy Central?

Where you at on your engine? Ever call vince? You split yer case yet? You order the BB kit?

I've had about 5 IE windows open for at least a week with different BB guy's websites,,, waiting for me to call, lol. Just can't get my rear in gear. Kustom Kraft stopped talking to me by email a LONG time ago. Sorta left me hanging. Last I remember, I was supposed to call on the 7th when they got back to work.

I think I've found the 250 4th gear on ebay. I hope so anyway, coz I just bought a big box of gears.</end quote></div>

Yes it was Comendy Central.

Yesterday I picked up some parts cleaner/degreaser (since I didn't have any), and today plan on cleaning up the top end for shipping. I would like to try and figure out why the little screw and nut let go on the rocker arm it makes me a little nervous to reinstall and have those come loose again. I'm stuck a little when it comes to the flywheel. I am trying to figure out how to get that nut off it cause some how I need to keep the flywheel from moving as I try to loosen the nut without damaging it. Then from looking at ebay I need to purchase a flywheel puller so I can get further into the motor to replace the timing chain and guide.

I tried calling Vince once the day after I said I would...no answer but I didn't put a lot of effort into being persistant since I had just come off my 6 day crew rotation with the last two shifts being 12 hour graves.

Right now I'm concentrating on the cam, I will be cleaning that up today and boxing it for shipping but I won't actually ship since I filled out their online form and printed it out (which gets enclosed with the cam) because it wasn't really clear when I talked to them on the phone whether I list my core as a regrind or hardweld. So tomorrow (monday) when they open I will clear that up and then ship it. So having to buy a timing chain and guide and ordering new clutch friction plates and springs, stage 2 cam w/dual springs and chromoly retainers, flywheel puller, and really my right side case and stator cover are pretty banged up from C.C.O.S prior to my ownership and I have JB welded 4 times now and the oil just won't stop leaking because of where the two afore mentioned pieces were nailed by the chain I should buy those as well.

The wife wants me to wait until after tax returns and we pay a couple of cards off and then with what's left over do with it what I will. So I will have the cylinder cleaned and packed today (already have KustomKrafts form filled out) and will also contact them tomorrow but probably won't ship it off yet.

Kustom Kraft must do really well or they have regular jobs as well because when I tried to first call them I believe back Sept 07 they were on vacation down in Baja for a couple of weeks.

I will be interested in hearing if you find a difference (assuming 4th will install) from 3rd to 4th. Won't that create a greater gap tho between 4th and 5th?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The little screw and nut came off the rocker because you (or somebody) didnt tighten it down good when you (they) adjusted the valves. I mentioned before how I had that happen on the bayou messing around trying to get more lowend by loosening the lash. I was adjusting the valves 3 or 4 times a day for weeks and one day it did like yours. Other than that one time I've never had that happen. I've never even heard of that happening to anyone else either before now. Because its hard to get a wrench in there, its easy to "think" you have it tight when in reality you don't. Now I make sure I have it really tight and usually double check. I'm not sure if the worst that will happen is the nut will fall off next to the spring and sit there or if it will fall down into the engine and mess everything else up. Mine just fell next to the spring and I used a magnet to retrieve it. If I was you I wouldn't be too nervous about those nuts so long as you become **** about how tight they are.

THere are a bunch of ways to get the flywheel nut off. You can put the wrist pin back in the rod and use blocks of wood to hold the rod from going down. Or you can wedge a penny in the gears on the crank. Then either use a nice long breaker bar and hammer or an air impact. The guys at Autozone might help out if you take it down there. They may even have some type of puller to get the flywheel off. I'd wouldn't call first, just show up. If you call you'll confuse the h3ll out of them. They'll probably jump at the opportunity to help out since their job kinda sux having to take orders n retrieve parts all day. A chance to work on something new is a nice break.

You could get a 1yr 0% balance transfer credit card and transfer all the balances you were planning to pay off. Then take the money you was going to use to pay those cards and get a cd at 5% for a yr. When it come time to pay the bills, the cd should be ready and you keep the interest. I made over $400 doing that last yr. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The 4th gear on the 230 is 22/27 and 4th on the 250 is 19/24. It puts 4th closer to 3rd and will widen the gap to 5th. The way I figure it: 1) I rarely use 5th on the trails anyway.... When I really use 5th is when I'm cruising on wide open roads or otherwise flat terrain. 2) 5th is closer to 4th than 4th is to 3rd. So, 5th and 4th could use a little spacing. 3) Everytime I've been in the moutain trails I'm either revving 3rd or bogging 4th,,, no matter what sprockets I have and tire sizes. 4) From what I can tell, the 250 is an improved 230. Every change on the 250 seems to be in response to a complaint by a number of people about the 230. The 250 is more powerful, stronger swingarm, longer a-arms, longer shocks, smaller back tires, longer rear axle, etc, etc.... It stands to reason the the 4th gear is better too. Or why would they implement a design change and change ONLY that gear? All other gears are the same and the part numbers are the same,,, I checked the microfiche.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey PG! Where ya at? Did they tie you down to the bed to keep you out of the garage? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Ripped a screw out of my knee. I am toast for awhile. anything worth doin is worth doin twice.....

"getting to old for this ****"the black guy from a movie and a couple lame sequels.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, get a screwdriver n some thread lock n put it back in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

So, you have to go under the knife again?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Ya they reattched Saturday am. Wife is raggin me, Doc is raggin me, the angel an devil on each shoulder are goin at it! Guess "at my age" I should be more carefull.
But all this Idle time is driving me nuts!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

The little screw and nut came off the rocker because you (or somebody) didnt tighten it down good when you (they) adjusted the valves. I mentioned before how I had that happen on the bayou messing around trying to get more lowend by loosening the lash. I was adjusting the valves 3 or 4 times a day for weeks and one day it did like yours. Other than that one time I've never had that happen. I've never even heard of that happening to anyone else either before now. Because its hard to get a wrench in there, its easy to "think" you have it tight when in reality you don't. Now I make sure I have it really tight and usually double check. I'm not sure if the worst that will happen is the nut will fall off next to the spring and sit there or if it will fall down into the engine and mess everything else up. Mine just fell next to the spring and I used a magnet to retrieve it. If I was you I wouldn't be too nervous about those nuts so long as you become **** about how tight they are.

THere are a bunch of ways to get the flywheel nut off. You can put the wrist pin back in the rod and use blocks of wood to hold the rod from going down. Or you can wedge a penny in the gears on the crank. Then either use a nice long breaker bar and hammer or an air impact. The guys at Autozone might help out if you take it down there. They may even have some type of puller to get the flywheel off. I'd wouldn't call first, just show up. If you call you'll confuse the h3ll out of them. They'll probably jump at the opportunity to help out since their job kinda sux having to take orders n retrieve parts all day. A chance to work on something new is a nice break.

You could get a 1yr 0% balance transfer credit card and transfer all the balances you were planning to pay off. Then take the money you was going to use to pay those cards and get a cd at 5% for a yr. When it come time to pay the bills, the cd should be ready and you keep the interest. I made over $400 doing that last yr. [img][/img]

The 4th gear on the 230 is 22/27 and 4th on the 250 is 19/24. It puts 4th closer to 3rd and will widen the gap to 5th. The way I figure it: 1) I rarely use 5th on the trails anyway.... When I really use 5th is when I'm cruising on wide open roads or otherwise flat terrain. 2) 5th is closer to 4th than 4th is to 3rd. So, 5th and 4th could use a little spacing. 3) Everytime I've been in the moutain trails I'm either revving 3rd or bogging 4th,,, no matter what sprockets I have and tire sizes. 4) From what I can tell, the 250 is an improved 230. Every change on the 250 seems to be in response to a complaint by a number of people about the 230. The 250 is more powerful, stronger swingarm, longer a-arms, longer shocks, smaller back tires, longer rear axle, etc, etc.... It stands to reason the the 4th gear is better too. Or why would they implement a design change and change ONLY that gear? All other gears are the same and the part numbers are the same,,, I checked the microfiche.</end quote></div>

This is the first time I have done anything engine wise with this motor. When I first bought it I was told by the guy I purchased it from that he "tried" to maintenence it, so from that I am assuming he probably messed around with it never tightened it properly. Now I know to pay extra attention to that.

Thanks for the advice the wood method sounds to me like the way to go. As far as the flywheel puller I will probably get one because I'm sure this won't be the last time I will be pulling it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

That would be great financial advice but I am still recovering from when my wife left me for a year and a half and I was paying for everything on my own, or should I say juggling everything on my own and paying child support. A 0% credit card is not an option.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Sounds to me like the gear swap should work.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Ya they reattched Saturday am. Wife is raggin me, Doc is raggin me, the angel an devil on each shoulder are goin at it! Guess "at my age" I should be more carefull.

But all this Idle time is driving me nuts!</end quote></div>

Get political and "try to change the world" by posting on lots of forums about how hard Hillary will work to take your guns away or how lazy she'll be in taking the guns off the streets. One way or the other, that ought to occupy 99% of your time, lol. Tis the season for insanity. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.