Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Its no problem.... I've been trhu this before. When I got my stroker kit for my 460 ford (460 to 509), it came with hypereutectic pistons. The guys that supplied the rings said the gap should be one thing, KB silvolite said another thing, and my machinist said yet another.... So, I was beating my head against a wall for a long time before I finally decided on a gap I can live with. Now, its 2nd nature to think of end gaps when I see a piston, lol.

As for sanding the pistons tops, I didn't do it the first time around (figured wiseco knew what they were doing). After 9 months of riding, my piston was covered in carbon and had a little peak glowing red on top. Screw wiseco, I'm polishing all my pistons from now on!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

So would a dremmel come in handy for all of this? Right now I am JB Welding two of the left side case bolts because it looks like prior to my ownership the chain smacked the case/stator cover. It's always leaked oil out of this area and I figure it would be smart to fix it now while it's apart.

So I put the bolts back in and I plan on keep building what's broke off with JB Weld and then grind it down making it even with the case (I have to keep turning the bolts so they don't get welded in as well).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] The carbon build up on the cylinder head exhaust port is reaaally bad so I wonder if a dremmel would be good for cleaning that up as well and at the same time polishing the piston etc.

I'm looking to pick one up I think at sears. Anyway thoughts, comments etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Dremmel is a handy tool to have, for sure!!
I could have sworn I saw a left side cover on ebay for $24 buy it now, the othernight....

Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

So would a dremmel come in handy for all of this? Right now I am JB Welding two of the left side case bolts because it looks like prior to my ownership the chain smacked the case/stator cover. It's always leaked oil out of this area and I figure it would be smart to fix it now while it's apart.

So I put the bolts back in and I plan on keep building what's broke off with JB Weld and then grind it down making it even with the case (I have to keep turning the bolts so they don't get welded in as well).[img][/img] The carbon build up on the cylinder head exhaust port is reaaally bad so I wonder if a dremmel would be good for cleaning that up as well and at the same time polishing the piston etc.

I'm looking to pick one up I think at sears. Anyway thoughts, comments etc.</end quote></div>

Put Silicone lube on the bolt threads when you thread them in, then the JB won't stick to the bolt. Use the thick stuff for pool pump orings, seems to work better for this purpose than the thin stuff..

Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Or use a helicoil repair kit?? I think that is what they are called, sorry

Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

I've watching ebay for any that might pop up and the only one I saw to this point was I believe a 1985 LT230E or whatever it was that didn't look anything like mine at all. I did see another one with the stator as well I believe from a 1987QS, but it was already bidded up beyond what I want to pay.

The stator cover iI don't think is so much the problem as the left side case which is really damaged and big chunks around those two bolt holes are missing.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Silicone sounds like a good idea[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well the car should be warmed up enough so off to Sears to get me a dremmel.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yup, a dremmel and a bunch of bits. I must have 200 bits by now I need to run to the store n get more. I'm out of fine sanding stuff and those little cutoff disks.

On my piston, I used a wire wheel on the bench grinder to get the ridges down, then used 400 grit sandpaper to get the wire marks out, then used polishing pads on the dremel to get those marks out, then used rubbing compound, then used polishing compound, then used the buffer on the dremel, then used brasso to get the mirror like luster. Whew! That's work just typing it out, lol.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Yup, a dremmel and a bunch of bits. I must have 200 bits by now I need to run to the store n get more. I'm out of fine sanding stuff and those little cutoff disks.

On my piston, I used a wire wheel on the bench grinder to get the ridges down, then used 400 grit sandpaper to get the wire marks out, then used polishing pads on the dremel to get those marks out, then used rubbing compound, then used polishing compound, then used the buffer on the dremel, then used brasso to get the mirror like luster. Whew! That's work just typing it out, lol.</end quote></div>

LOL, I have hundreds as well! I keep falling for the "kits" they have out there! Its is ok though, I like to carve wood with it, among the thousands of other uses! Seen the new lithium ion cordless one?? I have to stop and look at everytime..

Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, LI is all the rage now. I'll wait for the price to come down more before jumping on that bandwagon. The thing with dremels is they over heat and fail. So, I had to get 2 of them, when one gets hot, its time to use the other for a while. Before figuring that out I went thru a few dremels porting my steel 460 heads, lol.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.