Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

When I got the 250 engine, I filled it with 2 qts of kerosene and kicked it over until I could tell that the oil was all dissolved (it got harder to kick). Plus I pulled in the clutch hoping the kerosene would find its way in between the clutch plates. Drained it all out n refilled with new oil. Now, after a little bit of riding over the last couple days the oil still looks perfectly clean thru the little window.

The reason I wanted to do all that is after I tore my 230 down I had all this "gray paste" in the bottom of the engine.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I will give it a try. Did you take the filter and old oil out before the kerosene fill?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes, of course. Leave the filter out too while the kerosene is in there. Put a new filter in afterwards.

While I had the drain plug out, I raised the back of the quad to get more oil to drain out.... And then pull on the kicker until even more oil come out (gets the oil out of the lines to the head). Then put in the kerosene. When the kerosene comes out, save it in something for parts washing. Make sure whatever you store it in doesn't dissolve by the kerosene though. It would suck to have a puddle of kerosene on the garage floor in the morning.

Just in case someone reading this doesn't know.... DON'T USE GAS!!!! The whole case might explode when you fire it up. Diesel or kerosene only.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

not tryin to jack your guys' conversation but i think i might have to do that. My motor oil keeps comin out black as night even after just a few hours riding. I know the guy before me wasnt too good with his maintenance (last oil change before i got it was a year before. Not good) when your kicking it over do you kick it like you would to start it or just softly? and what about the spark plug? i know kerosene is flammable and it probably wont matter but just makin sure.

Bri- do you have the bracket that holds the rear disk brake caliper? mine snapped last ride out and ive just got it wired up so it holds itself in place

Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I took the plug out just to make it easier to kick, but you might have a point considering you'll have a case load of flammable liquid! Take the plug out just to be safe!

No need to kick it over fast. Softly is good enough.... I just pulled on the kicker with my hand most of the time. Then I picked the quad up and dropped it a few time to try to slosh the kerosene around some. Probably the worst thing that can happen is the oil will be gone off the cylinder walls and the rings might score them. I doubt it because the kerosene has some lubricating properties and its mixed with at least some oil, but I still wouldn't want to kick it over fast because of the rod side-loading the piston.... And there's just no need to. The oil pump will pump the kerosene to the top just the same. The cam bearings will be oilless too. So, don't spend an hour working the kicker. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You'll feel it get harder to turn over. When that happens, I figure all the oil is gone and you're down to metal on metal.

Jump in a conversation whenever you want. More the merrier I always say!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

lol i just figured id ask about the plug. and i had never heard about that kerosene thing so ill try that when i go home on break and hopefully that will clean it up all nice and pretty like again. I cleaned the quad all up the other day and i made the motor look like brand new and the plastics all new lookin again and so all i have left to do is paint the frame and quite honestly it will look like a brand new quad. I think ill paint the rims too just to get some new color goin instead of just shiny silver. kinda boring in my oppinion

Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My grandfather said he used to put in kerosene with the oil in cars and run it for a little while. Then drain it all out and it would be clean as a pin (whatever that means... I guess pins are clean???). He's full of little tricks like that.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume it is similar to the motor flush products, except i thought the motor flush products had a little tranny fluid in it?

Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey randy i was checking out the pics and i have to say the drink holder is a nice touch but if you dont mind saying how did you make that

Old 08-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

I assume it is similar to the motor flush products, except i thought the motor flush products had a little tranny fluid in it?</end quote></div>

Probably. I think ATF eats rust. Good for old cast iron engines. Not much iron in the 230 except the gears. They're not going to be rusted, lol.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.