Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Originally posted by: rescuediver

On my Interstate 6 volts, they say to charge them every 30 days if not being used. Like Confused said, I charge them as needed, so in my case around every 3 months or so. Haven't had a problem with them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Im guessing if it was hooked to my solar charging deal and kept at a full charge that would be OK? Or should I disconnect it from the system until about a week before I go camping? Im not too sharp with this electrical stuff.

I had my F350 looked at, the low pressure switch on the A/C went out. $25.00. Yippeeee!!!
Does your solar charger change it's setting based on the charge in the battery? You wouldn't want to overcharge it and boil the battery fluid out of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Nothing wrong with that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2006, 01:50 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

On my Interstate 6 volts, they say to charge them every 30 days if not being used. Like Confused said, I charge them as needed, so in my case around every 3 months or so. Haven't had a problem with them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Im guessing if it was hooked to my solar charging deal and kept at a full charge that would be OK? Or should I disconnect it from the system until about a week before I go camping? Im not too sharp with this electrical stuff.

I had my F350 looked at, the low pressure switch on the A/C went out. $25.00. Yippeeee!!!
That could easily boil the water out of the batteries. I'd disconnect the solar, unless you have a fancy dandy charger/controller that will not overcharge the batteries. Keep a careful eye on the water level. And ONLY put in distilled water.

I figured Skinner would have the right answer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL!!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: squeege
Yep...they been using it a few years but are switching next year.....I think to a 6.4L?
Oh OK, I was thinking the 6.0 was the 3rd size. What tranny did you get behind it?
Well technically it could be considered the 3rd size. But probably about the 10th generation/power level. The first diesels were a 6.9L. Then they went to the 7.3 (non-turbo), 7.3 (turbo), 7.3 (PSD). 6.0 (PSD) and next model year will be the 6.4L series dual turbo (intake through one turbo, then through the second, then to the engine (after the intercooler)).
I'd say the man knows his PSD's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2006, 01:17 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

That could easily boil the water out of the batteries. I'd disconnect the solar, unless you have a fancy dandy charger/controller that will not overcharge the batteries. Keep a careful eye on the water level. And ONLY put in distilled water.

Well that's good news it was cheap.
It does stop charging at 13.5 volts and im pretty sure it reduces the charge as the battery gets more volts in it. (not sure how else to say that)

Yes it is.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Well technically it could be considered the 3rd size. But probably about the 10th generation/power level. The first diesels were a 6.9L. Then they went to the 7.3 (non-turbo), 7.3 (turbo), 7.3 (PSD). 6.0 (PSD) and next model year will be the 6.4L series dual turbo (intake through one turbo, then through the second, then to the engine (after the intercooler)).
I forgot/didnt know about the 6.9. Thanks B&RW! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I'd say the man knows his PSD's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I'd say so!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I recommend the 2 6's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

From the looks of his previous jobs and recommendations from fellow customers I know, he is[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The new 5th wheel pin box will be moving the king pin forward about 13 inches.

I am sure we can. Moving my brother's jeep to my house to help take off the rear axle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Not sure what is wrong, but he says that's what we need to do to replace the part that's broke[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Done deal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

That is good, definitely wouldnt want that to break free. That would be scary. Does the 13" affect how it feels in the truck bed?

Right now Im planning on being at the shop sat/mon. Hopefully it wont be too hot. I havnt been there too much and need to clean up a little and I have a Jetmoto nerf bar project too. And about 50 other projects when I finish that one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Are you going to be fixing the jeep this weekend too?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

No, it just moves the front of the trailer away from the cab of the truck, so you don't need to worry about turning to sharply other than jackknifing and having the trailer meet the cab[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Now, the placement of the 5th wheel hitch itself might have a say in how it rides, to far behind the axle and it might effect the ride. I know manufactorers say you should have it center over the axle or just in front of it, this guy has mounted them 1' behind the axle and everyone seems happy with it. We shall see. He definately has an argument for doing it.

Brother hasn't said anything about the jeep[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] he got the permit for the addition on his house and looks to be busy with that. If your out there Saturday, I might take a drive out there then. Can you PM where it is of the hwy again and what time would be good? Only thing I have going on is hoping to sell my trailer this weekend and Church Sunday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
They place the fifth wheel hitch directly over the axle so that's where the weight goes. With the hitch mounted behind the wheels, this will lift the front end of the truck up, just like with a regular bumper tow trailer. And since there is no weight distribution, there's no way to correct this. Granted, you're close to to the axle and it will take more leverage, but it also places more weight on the rear axle. Now if the hitch was placed forward of the rear axle, it would add some weight to the front axle.

Look at a Class 8 trucks fifth wheel plate. They can actually move them a foot or two fore and aft to help adjust the weights (and many, especially the 53' trailers) have adjustable rear axles to get the weight ballance just right.

I think it would be cool to have a totall custom toy hauler built with movable axles. Then you could adjust the heck out of it to find the sweet spot for weight ballance, or for different load conditions.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Air Cooled Rider

I figured Skinner would have the right answer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL!!
It's amazing how much semi-useful information I have stored away in my brain. As they say, you never stop learning.

Now considering it's still functioning after the last couple days is amazing. Wed: 7am in the shop, left town at 8:15 and got to Gonzales about 11:15 or so. Got off work close to 6. Back at the jobsite at 6am, half hour lunch, got off at 5 and pulled into the driveway at 8pm. (The 150 handles well all the way to 90 in windy conditions...hey...I didn't realize I was going THAT fast.)

Old 09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: squeege
Yep...they been using it a few years but are switching next year.....I think to a 6.4L?
Oh OK, I was thinking the 6.0 was the 3rd size. What tranny did you get behind it?
One of these days I should just spout some off the wall BS and see if people agree with me. LOL

Old 09-01-2006, 01:58 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

One of these days I should just spout some off the wall BS and see if people agree with me. LOL
It works for Rush Limbaugh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And no i dont listen to him anymore. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel