Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
Yes, the trannies are the same but, they last much longer in these trucks...
Well, I HOPE they do.

The diffs are REALLY strong from what ive heard...
Boss' son's went through the clutch pack in like 60K. Local shop that specializes in rear-ends fixed it. Fearless Gear, iirc. Boss had his in not long ago (late '05) for maintenance. I think they were going to put a near rear cover on with the fins to pull heat out. For some reason I think they weren't able to. Not sure. If the boss is in a good mood tomorrow I'll ask him.

The motor could have gone to shiit from what ive read on the lightning boards just from one blown plug.. dunno why or how... But 95% of the time theyre fine.... Im still reading.. THey changed to new heads in 03..
Kind of funny how that would toast the motor. Unless they were idiots and kept driving them. From what I've been told when you lose the plug you know it. They drive like hell...at least the standard 150s with the 4.6. But they don't throw a CEL.

We've had the following blow plugs:
'99 SVT Lightning (second to do it...Ford replaced head under 100K Warranty) 5.4L S/C
'99 Expedition (first one to do it not under 100K warranty...) 5.4L
'01 or '02 F-150 4.6L (TWICE! In like 1-2 weeks time. Different plugs. Our bill on the first. Dealer covered the 2nd one plus the 2nd tow bill (NOT cheap).)

I still think that thing has been hot rodded to hell. Wouldn't want to see you stuck with someone's tired old dog.

The boss loves his. He had a full Bassani exhaust with ceramic headers. The whole works. But had something break in the cat on the right side. Horrid rattle about 3000-3500 RPM. And since that's where the boss likes to drive it... First smog check it was ripped out and back to stock (not CARB approved). When it was stock with open bed (now has a manual Roll-N-Lock) he hit 140 out near Kerman. The rear tires spin on the rims. Great traction on the Eagle F1 GS. But for 250+ a pop (has his new set waiting in the warehouse to be mounted) they BETTER BE.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 05:04 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: 400CatDriver
I hear you about wanting one of these. I've always thought that the 250/350 Lariat crew cab was kind of the top dog of trucks. I've always wanted one too and was doing the same thing you said about buying one before I die so to speak. It's a really nice truck...I guess I just wish it had a Cummins in it. Too bad they don't let you have choices on power. You'd think for 50K they could do that.
More engine (including the Cummins 5.9L) are available in Ford F-Series trucks. Just head down to your local Ford Truck dealer. Ask to look at an F-650. Allison 6-speeds too. I think I'd take the CAT 3126B with the Allison. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Crew Cab, F-350 dually bed. 4x4 would be nice, but at that point you've topped $100K from a custom shop.

Next flat bed at work will be a 650. Our 450 is getting long in the tooth (120K, '94 with 460 CID). In the shop, AGAIN (A/C died).

Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Yes, the trannies are the same but, they last much longer in these trucks...
Well, I HOPE they do.

The diffs are REALLY strong from what ive heard...
Boss' son's went through the clutch pack in like 60K. Local shop that specializes in rear-ends fixed it. Fearless Gear, iirc. Boss had his in not long ago (late '05) for maintenance. I think they were going to put a near rear cover on with the fins to pull heat out. For some reason I think they weren't able to. Not sure. If the boss is in a good mood tomorrow I'll ask him.

The motor could have gone to shiit from what ive read on the lightning boards just from one blown plug.. dunno why or how... But 95% of the time theyre fine.... Im still reading.. THey changed to new heads in 03..
Kind of funny how that would toast the motor. Unless they were idiots and kept driving them. From what I've been told when you lose the plug you know it. They drive like hell...at least the standard 150s with the 4.6. But they don't throw a CEL.

We've had the following blow plugs:
'99 SVT Lightning (second to do it...Ford replaced head under 100K Warranty) 5.4L S/C
'99 Expedition (first one to do it not under 100K warranty...) 5.4L
'01 or '02 F-150 4.6L (TWICE! In like 1-2 weeks time. Different plugs. Our bill on the first. Dealer covered the 2nd one plus the 2nd tow bill (NOT cheap).)

I still think that thing has been hot rodded to hell. Wouldn't want to see you stuck with someone's tired old dog.

The boss loves his. He had a full Bassani exhaust with ceramic headers. The whole works. But had something break in the cat on the right side. Horrid rattle about 3000-3500 RPM. And since that's where the boss likes to drive it... First smog check it was ripped out and back to stock (not CARB approved). When it was stock with open bed (now has a manual Roll-N-Lock) he hit 140 out near Kerman. The rear tires spin on the rims. Great traction on the Eagle F1 GS. But for 250+ a pop (has his new set waiting in the warehouse to be mounted) they BETTER BE.
Yeah. This truck is the closest i can find to look at that im actually interested in...The rest really ARE beat on... Or are out of my price range....
He told me "I'm the second owner. The original owner told me the way the spark plugs
went it damaged one of the cylinders and it was just cheaper for ford to
replace the motor instead of tearing it down and repairing it."
Dunno what to belive but i have a few freinds that have told me that his truck is in great shape and to take a look at it..
All the others i wanna look at are 5 hours away.. ones in Santa Monica and the others are in LA.. One of them is a Daily driver running mid 12s. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] With a brand new Ford Long Block with 350 miles and a full warrenty.. Of coarse not sure what the mods do to the warranty. haha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: rescuediver
LJ, Have you heard about a Jeep poker run or something to that effect, up near Clovis[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My brothers are suppose to go to it this Sunday. I have family commitments, so no[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] go for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
No. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I never hear about the cool jeep stuff untill AFTER it happens haha. I really need to find a club to join.
I'll try and get some info for you? If you'd like[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Sure. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
LJ, sorry I didn't get that information for you before the weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I've been so busy I can't even check in here on a regular basis[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Quad Patrol

On that Jeep Poker Run, my brother and his friend took another friend's Jeep out for a ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] When they put the left front tire on a boulder to check out the "flex" of his suspension[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] the jeep rolled over on it's side[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Was the owner pi$$ed. Guess the suspension didn't have the flex they thought it did[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Quad Patrol

MWQ, find that truck yet?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:32 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Im planning on trying to go look at a '92 F350 Crewcab 4X4 with a 460 this weekend.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Im planning on trying to go look at a '92 F350 Crewcab 4X4 with a 460 this weekend.
If you want a pig, I know where an F-250 super cab (not crew) 4x4 short bed is. Line-Xed. It does have a tool box in the bed though. So not sure how it would work for you. WELL cared for. '97. 60K miles.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
I hear you about wanting one of these. I've always thought that the 250/350 Lariat crew cab was kind of the top dog of trucks. I've always wanted one too and was doing the same thing you said about buying one before I die so to speak. It's a really nice truck...I guess I just wish it had a Cummins in it. Too bad they don't let you have choices on power. You'd think for 50K they could do that.
More engine (including the Cummins 5.9L) are available in Ford F-Series trucks. Just head down to your local Ford Truck dealer. Ask to look at an F-650. Allison 6-speeds too. I think I'd take the CAT 3126B with the Allison. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Crew Cab, F-350 dually bed. 4x4 would be nice, but at that point you've topped $100K from a custom shop.

Next flat bed at work will be a 650. Our 450 is getting long in the tooth (120K, '94 with 460 CID). In the shop, AGAIN (A/C died).

Good grief...wouldn't one of those have a Freightliner badge on it? lol

Old 06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Good grief...wouldn't one of those have a Freightliner badge on it? lol
Nope. Freightliner is owned by Daimler-Chrysler, as is Sterling.

Ford sold off their Class-8 truck business. Can't remember who to. Maybe Sterling or Freightliner. But they still make up through Class-7 (F-750, GVWR 26,001 to 36,000lb). Those all require CDL (Class B in CA).

In that size of truck pretty much everyone is using CAT, Cummins or Mercedes (Freightliner). Oh yeah, and International-Harvestor (International). Auto trannies from Allison, Eaton and Fuller. Some of the autos are actually standards that have servo actuated clutches and shifters.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel