Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: powerstroke01

Well I made it to Mammoth and back. Lots of driving and lots of fuel.

VERY happy with the way the truck performed.

First leg: 212.2 miles, 20.138 gallons for 10.5 MPG. Didn't weigh, but she was probably 16K on the truck and 3000 trailer. Tehachapi was the only major grade (filled up in Piersonville which seems to be dominated by the Shell station. 3.279/gallon. Had no problem keeping 50MPH and 25psi.

Second leg: 300.2, 28.234g for 10.6 MPG. That's a round trip Piersonville to Mammoth Lakes and back. Climb was Sherwin Pass, 6% from 4000' (Bishop) to 7000' (Tom's Place.) Was not much traffic. 45-50MPH pushing 25psi at time. Not sure why the boss was only getting 20psi. Though I have to tell you turbo lag at 7000' from a dead stop trying to cross 395 is a bit disconcerting. Foot to floor...wait...little movement..and at about 3000RPM she took off.

Last leg was Piersonville to Fresno. 218.2 miles, 17.875g for 12.2MPG. I think she's breaking in. [IMG][/IMG]

Return trip I was empty.

Was going to stop at Jawbone Station but I would have had to cut off an 18 wheeler to make the exit. [IMG][/IMG] Some gorgeous scenery up along 14 and 395. Red Rock Canyon was pretty sweet. Now I know where all these places are (including Dove Springs.)</end quote></div>

I went to mammoth pool yesterday. Thats about as close as i got to mammoth. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border="0[/IMG]

Almost ran into some cows too [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

it isn't that far away either. Just those pesky mountains in the way. :/ They just need to build a long @ss tunnel from like Shaver or Huntington.</end quote></div>

Theyed have to make it a 4 lane highway if they did that.. Thered be soooo much traffic. But id be in mammoth all the time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Quad Patrol

Pretty high boost numbers on that truck. My buddy in his 'o5 is blowing the clamp off of his inter-cooler to turbo[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Let's see it's happened 8x's already. Ford diagnosed the problem saying the turbo is going at at 28,000 miles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] After they fix it under warranty, he is putting an after market turbo on it. Should take care of his turbo lag[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

How big of a job are you guys doing over there?

Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rescuediver

Pretty high boost numbers on that truck. My buddy in his 'o5 is blowing the clamp off of his inter-cooler to turbo[img][/img] Let's see it's happened 8x's already. Ford diagnosed the problem saying the turbo is going at at 28,000 miles[img][/img] After they fix it under warranty, he is putting an after market turbo on it. Should take care of his turbo lag[img][/img]

How big of a job are you guys doing over there?</end quote></div>

It's like a mini-storage place. But they have telephone backboards and power panels in each unit. My guess, for people to store snowmobiles. Then there are some store-front style places with garage/warehouse in the back.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Hey RD, Just wanted to let you know that the forest service/whoever has been stocking all the creeks/rivers up here with fishies. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Quad Patrol

Hey RD, Just wanted to let you know that the forest service/whoever has been stocking all the creeks/rivers up here with fishies. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Really!!! Can I fit my 36 footer in at Miami?

We're headed to Dardanelles tomorrow for the weekend. We won't be riding our quads. Just hanging with friends before they go on their yearly 2 month trek to Elk Camp in Oregon. Then, in 2 weeks we're suppose to go above Jackson for 4-5 days. That will be a fishing/slash quad riding trip[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Quad Patrol

Well, got tired of my Prodigy and not being able to easily swap it out with another one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] No one will take the initial loss for it's replacement. So, I decided to put a draw-tite on the PSD. Had a couple in the past and never had a problem with them, hopefully that's still the case.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Quad Patrol

LJ, over on the Club ATV site, I see you have posted in the weekend ride thread about Strawberry lake. How familiar are you with that area? Might be worth the drive to check out the areas that were linked to the thread. To bad the links show the forest service website is down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Hey RD, Just wanted to let you know that the forest service/whoever has been stocking all the creeks/rivers up here with fishies. [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Really!!! Can I fit my 36 footer in at Miami?

We're headed to Dardanelles tomorrow for the weekend. We won't be riding our quads. Just hanging with friends before they go on their yearly 2 month trek to Elk Camp in Oregon. Then, in 2 weeks we're suppose to go above Jackson for 4-5 days. That will be a fishing/slash quad riding trip[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

I've seen them that big in there before at Lone Sequioa. There's another spot just east of Kamook that might be a bit tighter, but has less trees.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Well, got tired of my Prodigy and not being able to easily swap it out with another one[img][/img] No one will take the initial loss for it's replacement. So, I decided to put a draw-tite on the PSD. Had a couple in the past and never had a problem with them, hopefully that's still the case.</end quote></div>

I thought the Prodigy was supposed to be the best of the type. What kind of swapping were you doing.

The IBC in the 550 is really nice. Completely proportional to pedal pressure. You can be sitting there pulsing the pedal while stopped and watch the graph go up and down. Had to explain to the boss that the slider was for manual control of the brakes.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Well, got tired of my Prodigy and not being able to easily swap it out with another one[IMG][/IMG] No one will take the initial loss for it's replacement. So, I decided to put a draw-tite on the PSD. Had a couple in the past and never had a problem with them, hopefully that's still the case.</end quote></div>

I thought the Prodigy was supposed to be the best of the type. What kind of swapping were you doing.

The IBC in the 550 is really nice. Completely proportional to pedal pressure. You can be sitting there pulsing the pedal while stopped and watch the graph go up and down. Had to explain to the boss that the slider was for manual control of the brakes.</end quote></div>

Yeah the prodigy is supposed to be the best. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel