Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rescuediver

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

And Belated Happy New Year to the PSD Crew[IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Happy belated NY to you too. Now if the freaking sun would actually come out. If I wanted gloomy weather I would move to Seattle.</end quote></div>

Must of moved to Seattle[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif" border="0[/IMG] Last Visited On: 01/12/2009 10:09 AM</end quote></div>

Yeah went on a hiatus for a bit. Work issues. Playing with the radio at home.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Air Cooled Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Hoss, you ruffled some feathers in the SZ[IMG][/IMG] but that's ok, we call him spooge[IMG][/IMG] and 18 year old democrap[IMG][/IMG] who has no life experience[IMG][/IMG]

"the SZ got called a bunch of losers.I was looking in trailers and toy haulers and found this big thread on ford trucks and someone said the SZ was a bunch of losers. Were not losers are we?"

LMAO!!</end quote></div>

While this assesment of me is a little harsh I must say it's very acurate.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif" border="0[/IMG]

To atleast say something about Power Stroke Diesels I had an uncle with a 2000 F350 crew cab,no dually.Great truck he bought it new in 99' but it got stolen in 05'[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif" border="0[/IMG].They recovered the truck with about 9000 grand worth of crap missing.They got it back in running condition and sold it.He really loved that truck though.</end quote></div>

Stand up and be a man. You haven't defended your position well enough until you've locked the zone. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Air Cooled Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nedflanders

hey diddly-do there neighbors! Hoss rustled me out of a deep slumber! And from the looks of the posts on this last page, it looks like we need to wake things up.

Well, I must make some confessions here: I sold the '99 PSD. We bought a 30' (well, they call it a 26' model, but it's 30' long) NRG toy hauler. Bought it from a repo outfit in Rancho Caucamongo. We drove down there in 1.5 days. Hey Marshall Dillon (MD), they have a yard in Sacramento aswell. THAT would have been a lot easier. Anyways, we picked this unit up 100% empty. Maybe weighs 7500-8000lbs empty. We tow the Grapevine and i thought the PSD was gonna have a cardiac it was working so hard. dropped it into 2nd many times, sometimes even 1st when the semis were blocking us. Mt Shasta/Redding was more of the same, and Grants Pass was ugly too. I should add, the outside temp was always over 90 and very close to 100 degrees throughout these pulls. Now I know these are all mountain ranges, but none of them have the same grade or pull as what we do on the Coquihalla Highway. And we pull the Coq with all the quads, camping gear, water, etc.. So I was scared! And I lost my way.... I went as far as to seek out a GM Duramx/Allison combo cuz I thought it might be a better overall package for towing. **sniff, sniff** forgive me father for my indiscretions.

So we found a duramax in Bend Oregon. make our deal and drive to Portland the next day to buy it. En-route the owner phones and claims he's had an accident. Seemed legit, but i wonder if I was lied to or not. Will never know. Never saw the truck, only got ot waste a trip to Portland for SFA...except the parking ticket i got in Salem for backing into a parking stall (??). Must have been a message to not test the mighty truck gods, and stick with Ford.

BUT I'M AFRAID lord, afraid of ALL the 6.0L horror stories i've heard. And I'm thinking re-sale will be impossible. So we decide one day to go look at all 3 diesels. After sitting in the cab of the Dodge, it's instantly ruled out. No room at all in their "crewcab". and really cheap, crappy finish. I'm sure the Cummins is the best engine going, because there is absolutely no other reason to touch that truck with a 20' pole. As a matter of fact, i asked the dealer why there were red welts all over the side of the Dodge, and he said they were 20' pole marks!! HAHAHA. And I hear more horror stories about Dodge auto-trannies being the worst thing there is on the market.

SO the Ford and GM both have nice, classy, comfy cabs. So we get back on the search. I call Ford diesel mechanic, who tells me '03-04 6.0L were rough years, mostly from guys chipping them. And learning curve for Ford techies too, to get the repairs right on turbos, etc... But even those older ones are better now. He tells me '05-07 are good. I do a Wikpedia search, and in '06, the 6.0L diesel was the least warranty-claimed engine that Ford made! I talk to the mighty Hoss who spun a tall yarn about how his 6.0L out-pulled some relative's Duramax. SO I see the light and become a believer again!! We decide to look for 6.0L or GM. Way more 6.0L than GMs out there. Then a nice dually 6.0L with sunroof, heated seats, 2-tone charcoal on black, pops up. And we get it for the super low price that my partial scotsman heritage can live with.

So yeah, the new addition is an '05 6.0L with about 45K miles. paid about 20K (US), 25K cdn, in October/08. It's a 4x4, dually, crewcab, FX4. Nicer truck, more comforts...but I'm not so sure the powertrain is a lot better than the '99 PSD. A couple of small pulls with the trailer has me wondering how i should be driving this unit. The big test will be in May when we pull the Coq snowshed hill. 8% for a few steep miles.

In preparation, I've added MBRP 4" turbo back aluminized exhaust (cat delete). Super easy DIY install. I also had ARP headstuds installed with new head gasket. I REALLY wish I would have done complete EGR by-pass at the same time, but that is my future plan. ALSO, added Edge juice with Attitude, mainly for the digital temp gauges. I love that monitor, tres cool. [img][/img] I run level 1 econo when I'm empty, and level 2 tow/haul with the trailer. i just watch my temps. I'm not looking for level 5 or level 6 "hot unlock". My son would love to see me "roll some coal". But NOT for me.

So now my pals tell me I'll see the temps climb ugly wicked on the hills; well, the exhaust temps. Funny thing is, those dummy gauges on your dash truly tell you nothing. I can't believe how the exhaust temps sky-rocket on towing grades, while the dash gauges don't move. The Edge has auto de-fuel to prevent meltdown at about 1300 degrees exhaust temp. But when it does that, apparently the truck falls flat on it's face. So I guess i need to drive to find that sweet spot where I don't heat things up, yet I pull nice. If that means a slow speed, I can live with that knowing I'm not pooching my truck. Fully loaded we'll be around 11,000 lbs on the trailer.

Everything negative I hear about these 6.0Ls is the cooling, and apparently not a lot of options to help. I've done 2 of them (4" exhaust & ARP head studs). The EGR delete should help aswell, and prevent coolant from being puked back into the head.

well, that's a really long PSD story to help stir up you cowboys and cowgirl (i'd say cowgirls, but to my knowledge, we only have Miss Kitty [img][/img][img][/img]</end quote></div>

We went through about 4 or 5 injectors on our '07 6.0 at work. About 11k on the odometer. When one went it could get running about 30MPH. And on the highway...wasn't fun...at least I wasn't at the wheel.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Quad Patrol

And Belated Happy New Year to the PSD Crew[IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Happy belated NY to you too. Now if the freaking sun would actually come out. If I wanted gloomy weather I would move to Seattle.</end quote></div>

Must of moved to Seattle[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif" border="0[/IMG] Last Visited On: 01/12/2009 10:09 AM</end quote></div>

Yeah went on a hiatus for a bit. Work issues. Playing with the radio at home.</end quote></div>

Welcome back B&RW[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Quad Patrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Hoss, you ruffled some feathers in the SZ[IMG][/IMG] but that's ok, we call him spooge[IMG][/IMG] and 18 year old democrap[IMG][/IMG] who has no life experience[IMG][/IMG]

"the SZ got called a bunch of losers.I was looking in trailers and toy haulers and found this big thread on ford trucks and someone said the SZ was a bunch of losers. Were not losers are we?"

LMAO!!</end quote></div>

While this assesment of me is a little harsh I must say it's very acurate.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif" border="0[/IMG]

To atleast say something about Power Stroke Diesels I had an uncle with a 2000 F350 crew cab,no dually.Great truck he bought it new in 99' but it got stolen in 05'[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif" border="0[/IMG].They recovered the truck with about 9000 grand worth of crap missing.They got it back in running condition and sold it.He really loved that truck though.</end quote></div>

Stand up and be a man. You haven't defended your position well enough until you've locked the zone. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

I know someone who did that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

LOL!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Quad Patrol

We went through about 4 or 5 injectors on our '07 6.0 at work. About 11k on the odometer. When one went it could get running about 30MPH. And on the highway...wasn't fun...at least I wasn't at the wheel.</end quote></div>

Coming back from Irvine yesterday and the PSD started hesitating[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Took it to Ford and they replaced the CPS. This time the dime was on them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Hopefully that took care of it. I only replaced that thing 40,000 miles or so ago[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Quad Patrol

I know you guys don't visit the SZ[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] SO, I'll let you all know, my oldest daughter, the one in college down in Irvine has been in the ICU unit since last Saturday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] She has compressed/fractured discs in her spine, T9-T12[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] She is in excruciating pain and so far, they haven't been able to help her with any medication. The condition does not warrant surgery[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Long story short, she has a condition where her body over compensated for an old sports injury to her back/shoulder and the compressed disc are causing the fractures, with one of them leaking fluid which the doctors believe is causing her pain. Tomorrow they are doing a epidural to see if it takes care of the acute pain she is having. I came home for a couple of days to take care of household things and spend some time with my 2 daughters. Going back down tomorrow.

RD

Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

WOW MD, really sorry to hear your daughter is agonizing like that. what a freak way to get compression fractures. She must be tuff as nails, because I would have thought those bulging discs would have been super painful long before they would have built up enuf force to cause vertabral fractures![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Quite often a bulging disc will either be removed and they fuse the vertabraes above & below together, OR, they cut away some bone to make room for the expanding disc. I can't believe the doctors didn't catch this way sooner, and that she wasn't in a lot of pain for a long time leading up to this. This is horrible and I hope they find a way to treat her condition because that kind of pain is unbearable. WIsh her all the best from the FBK and we'll say our prayers for her.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Skinner, how's it going?! of all the chronic complaints I've heard about the 6.0L, crappy injectors isn't one of them. Almost makes me wonder if the fuel is really crappy (although you'd hope the filtration system would clean that out). Maybe invest in one of those Fitch Fuel Catalyst systems. I dunno if they do all they claim (actually, I'm skeptical), but if it works on one truck and the others still have problems, that could be the answer. Turbos, head gaskets, EGR seem to be the common complaints.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Quad Patrol

Hello FBK, daughter looks good she is finally coming around to the treatment she received today. Her pain is around a 5 and she can actually walk. If she keep improving, we think she should be able to go home Monday. Down side is she had more damage than we were told. She also has fractures in her lumbar too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] which they addressed today also. I'll keep you posted when she gets out.

RD

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel