Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 03:26 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer

okay, i've had enough of this fruit-platter, yuppy-ville grill from california. I'm gonna post a pick of a real man's cast-iron, home-made grill. this unit is 100% custom made. cook with wood, not charcoal briquets. you'll see.
LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] your not the fruity type[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] could of fooled me with the orange cover-alls[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2004, 03:28 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, did you ever get another quad for the kids? or did you shelve that idea for now?

Old 10-02-2004, 03:47 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Actually those pits are made for wood. They eat charcoal like you wouldn't believe being open. I dumped about 12lbs+ in there to start it. The office manager got this friggin orange sented Duraflame starting fluid...it just oozed out a vent hole and ended up with a damn fire on the asphalt. Give me the real stuff! Ended up adding a couple more pounds about 3/4 the way through as it was getting cooler. Plus I juiced it up 3 times with some hickory chunks.

They actually started selling these things as just fire pits (I wouldn't call 120lbs portable.) I think then someone was like hmmm....good BBQ grill. So they made the long leg and adjustable grill attachments. The boss only used this thing a couple times. Was way to big for just him and his wife. The boss' new $750,000 house is getting a gas grill installed in masonry (the bday boy who's arm is in the pic of me and boss) son is a masonry guy.

The boss' brother-in-law over in Santa Maria (where tri-tips started and just south of Pismo) got one and they cook using oak in it. That one worked pretty good with the briquette bed with hickory on top.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

The boss' brother-in-law over in Santa Maria (where tri-tips started and just south of Pismo) got one and they cook using oak in it. That one worked pretty good with the briquette bed with hickory on top.

Santa Maria oak[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do you use it? A restaurant up here drives down there during the summer to get oak to bbq at the restaurant with[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] HHmmmm HHmmmm Good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2004, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my grill probably weighs 50lbs. solid cast, no holes. in my pic I'm frying bacon, then the hashbrowns go on, then some mushroom/onions,some seasoning salt, then mix egg to hold it all together. we've cooked burgers, steak, chicken, pizza. a real trick regulating heat. I use mill-ends for fire, 2x4, 2x6, whatever, then chop it up to smaller so i can regulate heat.

when done with grill, that washer drum controls fire way better than rock pit, PLUS, you get awesome heat and burn from all the little air holes in the washer drum (well, the holes were originally for water [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ). great campfire, not too big, but fabulous heat for everyone around it.

pics are posted, plus some of the quad deck for ya MD.

on brat-quad.... I dunno whad I'm doin! I went to the Yamaha dealer to get a mini-grizz. I was trading in the '94 LT160 and the '93 LT80. BEAR IN MIND-all these prices are CDN!! I figured dealer could get $3500-$4000 for my 2. The mini-grizz is $4400 on it's own. I realize he's gotta make dough on trade in, so i offer my 2 plus $1500.I'm thinkin that'll make him over $1000 on the whole deal, easy. He wants $2200. Bear in mind the mini-grizz is tough for them to sell cuz not many folk dumb enough to spend that $$ on such a limited market/use quad. I just felt i was gettin it stuck up my a$$, with no kiss afterwards. wife was mad when I told her, she just wanted new, and to get rid of the other stuff. no business acumen these women. sometimes ya gotta just say no, not good enough......"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE".

Plus, there's a few chinese makes slowly creeping into our market. I've been reading lots on these in the kids quads section. they started off as crap a few years ago, but they're really starting to make some strides. the Linmax 110, 4-stroke, 3 speed, reverse (shaft drive?-not sure)... is $2000. so i can get 2 for the price of one. WAKE UP big Japanese manufacturers!! It's only a matter of time.

so I'm back to square 1. I'm always looking through our Buy and Sell for used stuff. I do like the LT160. I got it just purring on start and carb settings. BUT, it's still rough. Vibrates with speed. some strange rear end noise like a chain rubbing, but it's not chain (NOT engine noise). I'll hold on to it if I don't get a fair price. It absolutely blows the doors off the Breeze for speed. BUT, my son has a little difficulty shifting (stiff, maybe I can adjust tension??). I like the idea you can add pull start to it (not on the Breeze). I like the gears for downhill, but simplicity of Breeze is nice too, especially for my 16 y/o daughter who is just learning.

AND, I'd like to replace something for the wife. Our '84 Yamaha 200 is MINT for the year. Still starts like a dream. Purrs when it's running.Original tires, very little use over 20+ years. Super light. BUT, no shocks or suspension. a wee bit small for our big behinds. I've been looking at 250cc Honda, 2wd is good enough. the 4x4 type stuff she finds too extreme anyways. so i may go that route instead. Like i said in last long post, I don't wanna spend so much time wrenching as I do riding and enjoying!

and the orange coveralls aren't femmy or fruity, they're mean, tough, manly prison issue!

Old 10-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

ok, the new pics are up and running.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Quad Patrol

Confused, that is a load. Like the way you get all four quads up there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Innovative[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That ball mount carries that trailer and hasn't bent[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I wouldn't think it would hold up that well. It's way out there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

We have a washer tub, too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]They do work great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Never cooked on it like you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]other then, smorse[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sounds like your playing hardball on getting the new quads, take your wife's advice and just get a new quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]How many more "we hour" nights can your body handle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] before it breaks down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and like you said, more ride time, less wrench time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And "the orange coveralls aren't femmy or fruity, they're mean, tough, manly prison issue! " LMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

the ballmount weighs 75-100lbs. it's 2" SOLID steel. i see lots of extensions, but they're hollow. this will never bend or break. my weak link is where the ballmount slips into the receiver hitch. at that point, it's double walled steel, but nowhere near as strong as the ballmount. plus, i'm putting mechanical advantage on that spot (like using a 2' long cheater bar to help you break loose a bolt. the tourque on that spot is huge. i use the weight distribution/equalizer hitch to help spread the weight.

and don't forget, the tongue weight is roughly 10% of the trailer, so it's only 600-800 lbs on 2" solid steel.

you Quisling! you're supposed to side with your male pal, regardless of what my wife says or thinks. sheesh![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i spent the day working on the LT160. new chain. rear sprocket seems okay. front sprocket on order. fixed some loose fitting plastic. found the goofy rear-end noise (it was a seal by the brake drum cover rubbing).

have you ever replaced your rear brake? I'm missing some parts along the rear axle on the right (brake) side. I'd like to know exactly what's supposed to be there, in what order. my manual doesn't show it very well. I'm beginning to think i might keep this puppy. it just purrs. I think i need to adjust the clutch (hoping that would loosen shifting tension??).

Old 10-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Quad Patrol

I understand how stout that piece of metal is[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I guess, when I look at the size of your trailer, I guessed it to be heavier on the tongue then 600 lbs. 800 lbs. maybe a closer guess. Looking at it close, I guess it's only what 14-18 inches long? And yes, the weak link would be at the hitch. especially if it bounces a lot, I guess, that's where, I think it would bend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Hey, sounds like you like wrenching[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] forget about buying a new one, you love the misery of working on quads[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]just like all of us[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]And, after reading what you have done, why get rid of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] that things, like new again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
No I haven't worked on the brakes yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] what exactly are looking for? I'll take some pictures for you or describe what it has. I went to Suzuki to buy a book on the 160[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] they told me they didn't have one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]guess I need to search the internet for one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

You guys want to start up www.fordbetakappa.com?

My roomate owns a web site design/development company and i had him look that site up and its available. Could get the site setup for cheap.

Sean

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel