Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 04:00 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
I'm the same way, trustwotrthy. if you can't trust your word, you've got nothing left. of course we're slow, our brains take longer to thaw from the winter freeze.

I hear you on integrity[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And I figured it had something to do with the cold weather up there. Down here in sunny Central California, we don't have to many winter freezes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, the mind does get alittle cloudy from the smog[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as usual we're digressing, so I'm back full bore with some good powerstroke Qs.

did you do 4" exhaust at same time as chip, or before, or after?

I'm wondering if I did that, what diff I'd notice. more power?

did you shop around much, and what's the best price, installed?

I think you already said you never put in exhaust temp gauge (pyrometer).

Old 07-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
as usual we're digressing, so I'm back full bore with some good powerstroke Qs.

did you do 4" exhaust at same time as chip, or before, or after?

I'm wondering if I did that, what diff I'd notice. more power?

did you shop around much, and what's the best price, installed?

I think you already said you never put in exhaust temp gauge (pyrometer).
I am getting so tired of all your questions[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL,

Let's see, The 4" exhaust was put on at the same time as the Big Hoss Power chip, power elbow and the transcommand. Best price was about $1,600 installed. No I haven't had the pyrometer installed. Only went with the 60 hp set-up, with the power elbow and 4" exhaust, There is no increase in back pressure on the exhaust. The 4 inch tubing helps moving all the gases[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So, heat does not build up as if stock system was still on. I just noticed that Banks has come out with a computer Six Gun Diesel Tuner that also acts as guages. I like that system better. You can monitor and program your power all in one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Putting on the 4" exhaust will give you some power, due to the better air flow. But, I think your gains will be minimal. JMHO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm thinking about putting on an air flow system. Haven't made up my mind what kind though. Kind of leaning towards the k&n. Lt. Dan

Old 07-12-2004, 04:28 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Kinda back on topic here.

Before I mentioned a friend with a gas (6.8 V-10) F-350 SRW CC LB 4x4. He was fulling a 28' toybox. Well, he traded up to a 38' (yes, thirty-eight foot!) Sierra 5th wheel toybox. He pulls Cuesta at 35MPH in 1st gear (3.73:1 gears). And gets a whopping 6 MPG! Granted, this trailer is WAY too big (15,800 GVWR!) for even a 350.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Holy crap! That's a HUGE trailer (38' and 16k!!!). I think he needs to move up to an F-660 or something. Maybe a Freightliner - ha.

I'm still toying with whether or not I want to get the Superchips tuner. Or Hypertech, or Diablo, or, or, or.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Kinda back on topic here.Before I mentioned a friend with a gas (6.8 V-10) F-350 SRW CC LB 4x4. He was fulling a 28' toybox. Well, he traded up to a 38' (yes, thirty-eight foot!) Sierra 5th wheel toybox. He pulls Cuesta at 35MPH in 1st gear (3.73:1 gears). And gets a whopping 6 MPG! Granted, this trailer is WAY too big (15,800 GVWR!) for even a 350.
he needs to move up to an 05 superduty with the 6.0... They can tow 17,000

Old 07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrTommy
Holy crap! That's a HUGE trailer (38' and 16k!!!). I think he needs to move up to an F-660 or something. Maybe a Freightliner - ha. I'm still toying with whether or not I want to get the Superchips tuner. Or Hypertech, or Diablo, or, or, or.
If you have a 7.3 get teh Diablo.. Best tuner out.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Powerstroke...

I'll tell you what makes it so tough. Everyone that I know that has done the 're-programming' thing has something different. Two guys I work with have the other two. One has the Superchip, the other Hypertech. And of course, they EACH tell me that THEIRS is the absolute best. And you say Diablo is the best. So when faced with indecision, I make NONE - ha.

When I first heard about this re-programming thing, it was from a commercial place in Reno. Sierra Diesel - I think. HE said Superchips was best, and of course, that was what he was selling.

I'm thinking, once I make a decision, ANY decision, I'll be happy with it cuz they all work. What do you think?

Old 07-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrTommy
Hey Powerstroke...I'll tell you what makes it so tough. Everyone that I know that has done the 're-programming' thing has something different. Two guys I work with have the other two. One has the Superchip, the other Hypertech. And of course, they EACH tell me that THEIRS is the absolute best. And you say Diablo is the best. So when faced with indecision, I make NONE - ha. When I first heard about this re-programming thing, it was from a commercial place in Reno. Sierra Diesel - I think. HE said Superchips was best, and of course, that was what he was selling. I'm thinking, once I make a decision, ANY decision, I'll be happy with it cuz they all work. What do you think?
Of course they all work.. The diablo has the most tuning options and features out of all of them. Its the best for teh money.

Heres the Diablo for the 7.3: http://motorhaven.com/customer/home.php?cat=38
Heres the Superchips: http://motorhaven.com/customer/home.php?cat=166

I know that when we get one it will most likly be the Diablo.

And yes for every 10 people you ask you will get 20 answers.. haha

Old 07-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

He needs at least an F-450. The tow ratings are like 17,000K. Or a 550. Same tow rating, but a higher payload. And even that is coming in really close to max. A F-650 would be the right choice. But you're going to fork over some serious cash to get one set up correctly if you are going to the dunes like Pismo.

Does anyone know if Ford builds the F-650 with 4x4 at the factory or are they all aftermarket conversions?

He's only had the truck 18 mos. or so and doesn't want to take the hit he's going to take on trade in. He uses it for work so I think it has some seriously high mileage (he travels almost every day for work.) Next he's looking at a supercharger, exhaust, etc.. We suggested he at least swap out the 3:73s for at the least 4:10, if not higher 4:30s. His mileage is going to be even worse, but that's what happens when you make a mistake.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel