Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyejosh3
i am thinking about doing the 265cc big bore kit and a stage 2 cam...
Tha'll be some power, i've never done the whole sleeve thing because i've read stories about sleeves wear pretty fast 2-3 years. And with the stage 2 cam i think you might have to upgrade your valve springs, but ill leave randy to answer that one.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mud_bound
Do you think this Mikuni VM28-418 Flat Slide Carburetor 28mm HP Carb will fit the 230. My quad is an 86, with a .60 over bore, and i have a cobra exhaust.
Yeah, thats the same carb I have. But I meant you would have to get a new float needle and seat... or just a carb rebuild kit for $20. If you buy that new carb you're going to have a jetting headache and have to buy jets and needles.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
Tha'll be some power, i've never done the whole sleeve thing because i've read stories about sleeves wear pretty fast 2-3 years. And with the stage 2 cam i think you might have to upgrade your valve springs, but ill leave randy to answer that one.
I think webcams recommends new springs and megacycle requires it (because of the lift the cam has). I would do springs anyway... valve float is no good. Webcams requires your rockers be welded (because the cam is welded and will wear your rockers out). Megacycle don't.

The only issue I know of with the sleeve is dealing with the heat. You have a bigger bore, but less aluminum. Maybe the bore can distort from the heat??? One thing that wears bores out is bad rod bearings letting the piston flop around. I'd be willing to bet any 230 that is (or was) smoking has bad rod bearings. In my experience, boring and replaing the piston in an engine with bad bearings will get you a year or less before it smokes again.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

I think just going .60 over would be good with a high comp piston that'll put you at 243 cc and will leave you with an xtra boring incase it needs to be done years down the road.

I don't think i have ever waited for the top end to wear out, usualy i just bore it out for that lil bit of xtra power i get the machine shop going crazy cuz im boring out a perfectly fine jub

Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I think just going .60 over would be good with a high comp piston that'll put you at 243 cc and will leave you with an xtra boring incase it needs to be done years down the road.

I don't think i have ever waited for the top end to wear out, usualy i just bore it out for that lil bit of xtra power i get the machine shop going crazy cuz im boring out a perfectly fine jub
Thats what I'm thinking about doing... boring a good jug.

My 1st 230 engine smoked badly. So I got it bored 60 over. A year later it smoked again. My friend had the same problem. He just bored his one step up. I don't think he made it a year before it smoked again. He sold the quad to another buddy who just slapped some rings in it. He didn't get 2 weeks before it smoked again. Like the ole saying goes... once a smoker, always a smoker lol

Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Thats what I'm thinking about doing... boring a good jug.

My 1st 230 engine smoked badly. So I got it bored 60 over. A year later it smoked again. My friend had the same problem. He just bored his one step up. I don't think he made it a year before it smoked again. He sold the quad to another buddy who just slapped some rings in it. He didn't get 2 weeks before it smoked again. Like the ole saying goes... once a smoker, always a smoker lol
I hate spending money and time on something that doesn't work they way i wanted it to , arnt there valve seals that can go bad and cause a decent amount of smoke?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I hate spending money and time on something that doesn't work they way i wanted it to , arnt there valve seals that can go bad and cause a decent amount of smoke?
I've heard that, but never seen it happen. Anyway, a valve seal wouldn't wear out in a year. In cars they say smoking right after startup and then stopping is valve seals. Smoking continuously is rings.

The 230 had a weak rod that they changed in the 250 model. The small end of the rod was changed from 16mm to 17mm. I've never seen a 230 that didn't have an eggshaped hole at the end (maybe because I don't tear apart the good ones lol)

Name:  DCP_2117.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  58.8 KB

Not only that, but the big end has bad bearings letting the rod rock back n forth instead of just sliding.

Name:  DCP_2114.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  112.3 KB

Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, thats the same carb I have. But I meant you would have to get a new float needle and seat... or just a carb rebuild kit for $20. If you buy that new carb you're going to have a jetting headache and have to buy jets and needles.
How do you know when every thing is right. I have not studied carbs.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

I've heard that, but never seen it happen. Anyway, a valve seal wouldn't wear out in a year. In cars they say smoking right after startup and then stopping is valve seals. Smoking continuously is rings.
Now that you mention that i remember hearing that somewhere else musta just slipped my mind. Luckly when i got my 230 the tranny was all redone crank and rod.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mud_bound
How do you know when every thing is right. I have not studied carbs.
When it runs like it should. No misses, stumbles, etc and revs out all the way. Tuning a carb is like tuning a guitar. Not too hard if you know what you're doing and the guitar is built well, but really hard if you have no idea how. Putting that carb on is like building a guitar from a pile of wood and then trying to tune it. Everytime I change carbs on something it seems like I spend the rest of my life fooling with it because its never quite right... close, but never perfect.

Now that you mention that i remember hearing that somewhere else musta just slipped my mind. Luckly when i got my 230 the tranny was all redone crank and rod.
Keep the oil changed and it should last a long time.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.