Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

towin a fifth wheel? PSD single rear wheel 4x4 oh crap you got a 6 liter. i know the 7.3 get about 14 but then agin it gets about 14 daily drivin too. hmmmm [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But then agin my buddy gets 20 outta his 7.3 on a daily basis. their like motorcycles everyone is differnt.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
COnfused, I'm with you on the filtering. I hate it with a passion. Maybe one time it caught me posting a word I really shouldn't have. But I've been tripped up by it a few time. IIRC the last time was d0rk (0=o).

One thing if you do get blocked and go back, copy all of what you posted before, hit one of the reply links on that page and paste it into the new box. No lost post. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
hey skinner, thanks for that. it'll save me tons of time. so just cut and paste from the edit feature, and then send a new reply. and like quoting isn't pretty much the same as double posting.... aarrggh.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

OK here it is. Too my surprise and dissapointment I averaged a very dismal 8.5 MPG. NO BS...8.5 MPG.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I've been averaging 16.5 MPG empty, approximately 70% freeway at 75 MPH typical. My old 99' F-350, 4x4, crew cab, dually with 7.3 liter and 4:10 rear end averaged about 13.5 MPG with the same driving conditions and about 10.5 towing the 5th wheel.

My dad "claims" he got around 16 MPG towing the boat. He also claims to get anywhere from 19 to 22 MPG empty.

So guys, WTF is up with that? I was told before that my 7.3 was way off on milage and that something was wrong with it. I took it to a good diesel mechanic who checked everything thourougly and said all was well. Is it just my bad luck to get a second diesel that gets crappy milage? Maybe it's my driving or something to do with Calif. emissions on the truck? What gives?

And yes, the Ford vs. Chevy fued is ongoing in my family. After comparing milage with my dad I seem to be loosing the battle at the moment.

That aside, my truck did pull with the utmost confidence. She takes off like she was empty and makes the grades seem more flat than anything.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

The only way to get them to get better mileage is to give em more power. Time for a banks sixpack on that badboy. Nothin else to do. that way it just burns fuel [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] then you just say Yeah so what I CAN GO FASTER THAN YOU [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I like the way they use message ID's that are issued when you hit the reply button. It stops the double posting. Sometimes things don't happen instantaneously and people keep hitting the post button. An example is about 5 copies of the same exact complaint at the NHTSA web site for complains on the 2001 Daewoo Nubira. Ugh. There are like 35 complaints. If you filter the double posts, you get down to about 20-25.

You can also use the short-cut keys:

CTRL+C = Copy
CTRL+V = Paste
CTRL+X = Cut
CTRL+Z = Undo
CTRL+R = Redo (usually)
CTRL+H = Search and Replace (generally)
CTRL+S = Save
CTRL+U = Underline (won't work for browser apps)
CTRL+I = Italic (won't work for browser apps)
CTRL+B = Bold (won't work for browser apps)

Those are all standard Windows conventions. I think Apple's are close and just use the Apple equivelant to the CTRL (Control) Key.

I suggest using Copy. In case you goof up. You can always go back and copy it again.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I've heard the mileage on the 6.0L isn't up to what the 7.3s were getting. I wonder why. I know they can rev higher, so maybe people are revving them up more (therefore using more fuel) than the old 7.3.

How many miles are on both trucks? If you are still pretty new the motor isn't broken in yet and should get better mileage.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

I have heard rumors of the same thing with the 6L when the get under load the consumption goes way up. where as the 7.3 dont matter what you throw behind her she just gets it. When we had the 4 horse with 4 horses runnin over the pass at 20k and blew the intercooler apart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 75 baby up I90 snoqualmie like it was nothin till we was doin 25 with no turbo smokin like a burning house [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but when we reached the summit lil ducttape got us back down the mountain and home [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 99 psd's had a bad clamp on the pressure side so they warrantied that or recalled whatever. but back to the mileage it was 12 on that trip. which aint terrible in my book cuz yer lucky to get 6mpg outta the Kenworth

Old 09-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

and if you have ever heard an intercooler come apart under 25+ lbs of boost you think the motor exploded scare the **** outta ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My dad's truck has about 45K miles I believe. Mine is still pretty new with only about 6K miles on it and this was the first real tow with it. I'm a little afraid of putting the Banks stuff on it because I don't want to chance voiding the 75K mile warranty I bought for it.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Banks stuff does not void the warrenty. there is some act law or whatever. I just logged into the banks site. and son of a biatch I wanna put an 1100 hp 350 twin turbo in my jet boat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] WOAH [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel