Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

rescuediver, thanks for the advice. You're right, I'm not exactly as lite on the pedal as I should be sometimes. It's just too easy to get her up to 65 or 70 and keep her there when you're out in the middle of nowhere. I still love the truck anyways. I think I need to get my 5th wheel axle repaired or replaced[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and try it again.

BTW, the trip computer for milage is nearly worthless. It takes waaaaay too long to adjust itself. When I left the house it was reading 16.4 MPG. I filled up after about 180 miles and it was reading 15.7 MPG.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] It's not something to rely on. But hey, it shows the outside temp pretty accurately.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: Just4Kicks
What about the extra stress on the tranny? My 99' was a tranny eater so I'm a little timid about messing with my new baby.

Something I forgot to mention that may have had an impact on my milage though I'm not sure how much. The last trip with my fifth wheel was behing my 99'. That trip my spare tire cable snapped and the spare flipped under the trailer and caused a violent thud. I visually checked the axles on my 5th and they "appeared" to be OK. However, before taking off last weekend I noticed that the right side rear tire on my 5th wheel was worn down on the outside...all the other tire were fine. When I got home Sunday I noticed that same tire is now showing steel.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Again, all other tires are fine so that tells me that my rear axle got damaged during the spare tire incident and is grossly out of alignment. There goes more money.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I'm thinking if it's that badly aligned it would have a negative impact on my milage when in tow.
7Grand later you can have a custom tranny with Highpressure thru her ateries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that was another thing that 99's had FUNKED up. the tranny shifted like a drugged mule. it was horrible. so towin horses all the time smoked toe tourqe convertor and shot pieces through the tranny and took it out all tothers it was a mess. anyway the new tranny. shifts and i mean shifts right now. its solid but not rough. however if you dont let off when its about to shift and you got her floorboarded the tires bust loose. (On dry ground) if the tranny aint shiftin with authority i suggest getting sompin to make it shift with authority ASAP so a few hundred now will sayb you thousands in the long run [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
HOLY CRAP! MY SWEETHEART is outta the hospital. Well she is waitin for me to pick her up get her wet and ride her hard!!!
Ride her easy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so, you don't blow another gasket[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Their aint no such thing as riding easy in my world. She breaths hard, Gets hot and screams loud! let me tell you she is quite a thrill at times. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

LOL, thank god for rev limiters[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] or the thing would blow her engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Revlimiters? what are those? all removed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Theres no limit to how hard i can wind her up. she may moan if i run her to hard instead of scream. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Quad Patrol

Just4kicks, Your welcome, that's one of the reasons why were here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I know if I'm always standing on the pedal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]I can watch the fuel guage literally move[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]But, if I'm just a little gentler with it, I am happy with the mileage I get[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
And the mileage guesser and temp is something I don't have on my PSD. I do miss the temp guage though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]I loved it on my Z-71

Old 09-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Cowboy, you're right about the tranny shifting. I didn't like the way my 99' shifted at all when towing, it always seemed undecisive. My new tranny shifts will authority and gets the load up to speed in a hurry. I think I'll still consider the tranny mod though just to keep things on the upswing.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Quad Patrol

HOLY CRAP! MY SWEETHEART is outta the hospital. Well she is waitin for me to pick her up get her wet and ride her hard!!!
Ride her easy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so, you don't blow another gasket[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Their aint no such thing as riding easy in my world. She breaths hard, Gets hot and screams loud! let me tell you she is quite a thrill at times. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

LOL, thank god for rev limiters[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] or the thing would blow her engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Revlimiters? what are those? all removed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Theres no limit to how hard i can wind her up. she may moan if i run her to hard instead of scream. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Well, if she's screaming bloody mary all the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]she's bound to blow a seal here or there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

maybe if i sweet talk my brother he will host a video of drag racing the Raptor against the PSD [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Toyo is referring to the he Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) [gotta LOVE Google. However, it is my understanding that MMA only covers replacement parts (i.e. water pumps, alternators, etc.) for normal maintenance so you don't have to go back and by Motorcraft, AC-Delco, Mopar, etc. parts. You can go to your local Kragen, AutoZone, etc. and get their stuff and it won't affect the warranty on the rest of your vehicle.

Upon further research: The manufacturer MUST show that the aftermarket part actually caused the problem. Not just toss out the Warranty Claim on the fact that you have aftermarket parts. Some of the law is different I think for different warranties. Look here.

From what I've heard Ford is being very aggressive in disallowing warranty claims, esp. on the 6.0Ls that have been hopped up. So if you chip it, make SURE you take your chip out before you take it back to the dealer. There are some chips though that leave traces behind. They find any trace and they flag your truck.

I thought I read somewhere you only had 6K on your truck. At least I know I'm not looney...wait...nm. Hell, that motor is barely off the factory floor. Give her some time. Your dad's is pretty much broken in. Probably will still gain some mileage.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Quad Patrol

Did you see this thread that Bing posted? Sweet truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Text

Old 09-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Jesse (just4kicks).

was Pa going anywhere near as hard and fast as you? that makes a huge diff. are you relying on the idiot gauges or did you actually re-fill tank, check trip ODO and do your calculation from there? I think a combo of factors:
1) Dad fudged his #'s a little
2) Dad didn't push anywhere near as hard as you
3)Axle/resistance/drag on trailer = poorer mileage
4)break-in still long ways away for you.
5)He's more aerodynamic than you pulling a boat vs. trailer.

if you bought extd warranty, DO NOT mod anything. skinner is TECHNICALLY correct that they must prove your mod caused failure.BUT!!!!! my bud is a parts manager for Ford. they have been very aggressive in denying claims for anything modded. just deny it, and let you fight their big huge litigation machine. maybe in 4 years you'll win your case, after a legal bill that exceeds your claim. you want that hassle? they will blame it on the chip, no matter what, even if their theory is flawed and ludicrous. the directive comes from above your local Ford dealer. and Ford often denies the warranty submission from their own dealers, so dealer won't take too many of those bullets before they pass Ford's directive onto you.

I removed my chip when i blew my tranny. they still knew i had chip tho. maybe it leaves other finger prints like MD described. Either way, you paid big $$ for truck, big $$ for the extd warranty, it's not worth it to take a chance on a potentially massive repair bill.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel