Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Confused and anyone else interested, I put some pictures in my gallery of my set up for transporting my toys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] There's also a picture there of a rig I saw at Pismo that had a over cab rack on it. Real nice guy, talked to him at length about it. Lt. Dan

Whitewater, That's some pretty thick dust your talking about[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I'm sure you washed down all that dust with a nice cold drink[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Have fun on the Colorado(like you had to be told that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) Lt. Dan

Old 07-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome, thanks. now the Q's.

How long is your trailer?
Did it affect your tongue weight (i.e. act like a counter-balance and cause sway in the back)?
your weight estimate got cut-off, what did you figure for weight of quad and generator?
Did you make this yourself, or buy it pre-fabbed?
Is it just angle iron welded/bolted in those 2 spots at the back to give you your stability?
when you tie down quad to rack, it doesn't sag?
what do you figure rack weighs?

I guess that overhead rig works, but I don't like the looks of it. looks HEAVY for a 3/4 ton to haul. and clearance?guess it's not a problem, but with my barrell luck, I'd end up giving the quads an unwanted haircut.

whitewater, glad to see you're back and that you finally figured out that I'm a smarta$$ !! I figured out your carb problem, P-O-L-A-R-I-S.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] . Okay, now you and rescue can trash me for that one. well, you obviously need that adrenalin rush to keep your blood flowing. when are you skydiving and bungy-jumping next? this time try pulling the ripcord before you can read your licence plate #! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] , and shorten the bungy a little too, eh. LOL

and you missed all the other shots I've been launching your way, or you ignored me (you wouldn't be the first to do that).
Kamloops is dusty like that. maybe you're on to something: a Hepa built into the helmet along with goggles, all-in-one. and if you're forced to do some work this week, make sure you enjoy those holidays. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, 1) My trailer is 21 feet long.
2) Yes, it did affect the tongue weight. What I did was weighed the trailer, trailer/truck, tongue weight, weight over rear axle, etc. at a truck stop. What I found was, I had to fill the water tank at the front of the trailer to help compensate for the additional weight on the back. So, I added 40 gallons of water and drain black/gray tanks (they are in the back of trailer)
3) Tongue weight is 412 lbs. Approx. 12% of trailer weight. Which is good. All info I read says to be within 10-15% of trailer weight for the tongue. I'll have to fix the weight that got cut-off, Sorry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
4) Weight of the generator and quad is approx. 360 lbs.
5) Yes, I made it myself, it's out of 2 inch angle, with I think 1/4 inch mesh wire for the bottom. I est. the rack around 80 lbs.
6) I used 4 inch channel to attach it to the trailer.
7) Yes, it's attached by the two 4 inch channel that is bolted using grade A bolts. 3 on each side. They are marked with paint. This is so, I can check for any movement.
8) Been in use for 3 years and no sag or movement[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
9) I have weight distribution bars, so far, no major swaying issues traveling down the roadway. I avg. 62-68 mph.

That rig is heavy, The Chevy sits nicely with it, but don't know what the scales (or chp)would say[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I can only laugh at your polaris remark, it's late and I just burned all my energy answering your questionsj/k[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's the wife's bike, she rides it 99% of the time, I'm on it when it when it has a problem. Usually the transmission[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] or when I'm loading it.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info. I've got 2- 30lb tanks up front, plus 2-6V batteries that weigh about 75lbs each. We usually have fresh water full when we leave, and always empty holding tanks wherever closest place is to do it. I have 30' trailer, weighs about 6500lbs full. so maybe I won't notice counter weight. I also run EQ hitch. it only removes the up and down motion from hitting bumps. I'm told sway control from EQ is a misconception. sorry 'bout the polaris comment (well, not really)... I know the Polaris folks love them and the rest of us give them a rough time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I may PM you to get more details when I'm ready to fabricate. looks like it's time to buy a wire feed and learn to weld! Yeehaa!!

Old 07-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
thanks for the info. sorry 'bout the polaris comment (well, not really)... I know the Polaris folks love them and the rest of us give them a rough time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I may PM you to get more details when I'm ready to fabricate. looks like it's time to buy a wire feed and learn to weld! Yeehaa!!
LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I can take it. As you can see from my list of toys, I'm not particular to one ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And your welcome for the info. I hear you about the wire feed, the ol' lincoln is nice, but wire feed is the way to go[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Give me a pm when you ready, I'll send you what I can. Lt. Dan

Old 07-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

What have i missed????

Old 07-09-2004, 01:58 AM
Quad Patrol

Powerstroke, if you haven't check in for a few days, you've missed alot. We've covered everything under the sun. Music, quads, camping, and a whole lot more[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

lol i know.. Its been awhile..

Old 07-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Quad Patrol

It seems a few of us, has kept the thread going and learned we have things in common, other then quads.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

yep. Oh, BTW, where do I go for those shots for the drip?LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I forgot, it was whitewater's picnic, and his drip. C'mon guys, are you that naive?where do you think he's been the last while?. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

slightly off-topic, just to make you guys green with envy. Our voice as I call it (Lowermainland ATV Club) has managed to find/negotiate use of a nice chunk of gov't land on a lake for atvers to camp from, ride to, etc.., for free (sorta). We gotta do all the clean-up, and make it more accessable for our benefit and others. Anyone can use it, but I would think it will be mostly atvers, cuz who else would want to be around us?plus we're doing the work, we know we can use it, so we'll be making sure we try to get lots of us using it. that should scare away the butterfly catchers. we're making more trails for all users. lots of guys are donating time and machinery use.we had an atv raffle and raised around $10,000-15,000., so that will help too.

If I can figure out how this photo page works, I'll post some pics. It's in the Hemlock Valley, which is a beautiful, mountainous area in the middle of a dense rain forest. lots of good riding. Fishing at the lake too.

It's great to see what being organized can do. I'm reading too many horror stories from a lot of other states about how their atv use is constantly cut back and areas keep shrinking proportionately to the increase in rules and regulations.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel