Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Hey, that's not fair. You quated me out of context! Must be a damn reporter. He just comes in here under cover. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I am under cover[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Tommy, It does sound like Confused and I have similiar programs. Instead of taking your chances on e-bay. Go to a shop, pick their brains on what will work on your truck. After being satified with what will work. Play dumb. (If your anything like me, it shouldn't be to hard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) Then say you will think about it and leave. Look on e-bay and find it from a dealer that will back it up. By doing your homework(which it sounds like you are) before you buy it, you should have no problems with it being compatible with your truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]And I know what you mean about your '97 not having the intercooler. I drove a '97 model and knew I couldn't settle for it. There is a crap load of more power in the models with the intercoolers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]But, you are on your way. Just wait until you get the right chip for it. You will be amazed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Confused, you actually started a new thread? You know, WW is probably carrying on a conversation with all his wives on it, right now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]And he probably told all his frat boys, he had thread started in his honor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]He'll probably refuse to come back now. His head is probably bigger then his arms[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Lt. Dan

Old 07-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Tommy, now I remember. my Ford diesel mechanic pal used a special diagnostic tool to plug in under the dash, in the area you're talking about. It looked like a palm pilot or big calculator. He needed to check for some code, to tell the chip maker what programming my computer had, so they could send me the correct chip.I think they called it "flashing" the chip. It took him less than 5 minutes to do the whole diagnostic. The actual computer was in the area I described earlier, and that's where the actual chip gets installed.

my buddy lives 3 1/2 hours away, and told me to get the diagnostic done locally, and he'd order the chip. I called 3 different Ford dealers and quoted exactly what my pal said to tell them. None of them had a clue what I was talking about. I'd recommend asking a diesel performance shop. Maybe tell them you can get it off ebay, but you want them to do the install?? OR, can they match the price? With competition being what it is, they might want your business.

what was the first year they used an intercooler? I have a 1999 which is the new body style with some changes over the '97 7.3 engine, but I didn't think mine was intercooled. was that a standard feature?

Old 07-27-2004, 03:54 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, If your truck is a 1999, it should have the intercooler. Heres a blip I found doing a research in truck world "The 1999 Super Duty F-Series trucks feature new 5.4-liter TritonTM V-8 and 6.8-liter TritonTM V-10 engines, and an improved intercooled 7.3-liter diesel engine." Ford skipped the 1998 model year on the F250 and up to improve the truck. But, check your manual just to make sure. But, I'm pretty sure, you should have it.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

All of what you say sounds right, Confused. The only thing is, I'm not installing a 'new' chip. I only want to re-program the existing chip, which is what the Superchip Mini Tuner does (plus read the codes, as an added bonus). The ads for these things tout "Needs no tools", "Done in under ten minutes", "Put it back to stock in the same time", yada yada yada...

This whole thing started when I stopped in a local diesel 'specialty' shop in Reno and he told me about the chip. Said he would even plug one into my truck and take me for a test ride just to show me how great this thing was. I could do it right then! 'Cept I don't commute in my truck (I use a well-worn 83 Honda with 230,000 miles on it that gets 36-39 mpg...) so I had to pass. He would install the guages, 'install' the Superchip re-program, and make sure I knew how to use it, and understand what the guages meant. However, he was not cheap! So I had my local and trusted mechanic install the guages. HE was not cheap either, but he was uh, less expensive. The Reno guy is wanting about $450 for the Superchip Mini Programmer (if my memory serves me right), which is considerably more than many on-liners or eBay. But, he would make it work or not sell it to me, the way I see it. I'm SO confused... I should be using that name - not you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And I agree with Rescue on the intercooler thing. Ford just skipped the '98 year as far as their heavy duty line, and when they surfaced in '99, there was the intercooler. Seems like I always get my stuff jusssssst before some new inovation comes out. [Just like finding out that the new 2005 Arctic Cat 400's will have the nifty digital instrument pod AND a lever activated front diff lock. Ours are 2004's...].

Old 07-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Gees, I just take orders from confused and start a new thread...what's next? Want me to jump off a cliff to see if everyone else will follow?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Actually, that sounds kind of fun - I've never base jumped before.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Oh yeah, I forgot, confused and his wife are too afraid of adventure, so he wouldn't be interested in base jumping. I'm going to lunch now, but I'll be back to entertain you all (I'm kind of like the court jester).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
too funny ww, i was just checking your pics. they are a little cloudy, is that from disposable film quality, or from scanning from photo to disc?

that water looks pretty stirred up and brown. are there some pretty hairy spots? the Fraser River and Thompson river here have some great tours. guess I'm too much of a wuss, cuz some people from work wanted to set up a day for us to do it, and my wife and I weren't too warm to the idea. I just opened the door for you to come up with some witty and clever slams.

your wife looks exhausted and angry in the recent pics, maybe from the 20 mile drag??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Ah-ha!! That's why she's getting even with all the renos.

and the pocket rocket got me thinking. they were selling them at Indy for about $600.(US). BUT, it seems to me you can't ride 'em anywhere. street is scary and dangerous. no off-road tires. so where you gonna ride?

BTW, I'll post next time under "Ford Chat boys".. new thread. unless one of you guys wants to get it started.

The camera that I used on the river had water / muck on the lens. The main rivers in Utah (Green and Colorado), are quite turbid, especially when it rains. Some of the mountain creeks / rivers are clear, but not the deep gorge rivers. They cut into the sandstone, etc. and carry sediment out to the pacific (does the Colorado even reach the Pacific anymore?). The trip we just took had class III and IV rapids on it (whitewater is classified from class I - V; I beng the smallest rapid and V being almost unrunable). We are going to do Cataract Canyon next year (class V in high water), and I can't wait.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I used to Kayak, but haven't for a long time - I think it's time to pick it up again. If any of you haven't been on a whitewater trip, you really should do it - it's an adrenaline rush!!!!

Yeah, the wife got a huge blister on her toe and wasn't up to anymore hiking after the BIG hike. However, we did hike a few more miles and she didn't complain (too much).

The pocket rockets are legal in Utah - they are classified the same as a motorized scooter. They allow you to ride on a two-lane road posted <25 mph; they must have adult supervision, and they must wear a helmet. The 47cc that my 11 year old rides, was $300. It doesn't have suspension, but it's for pavement only. He took it on a camping trip and the dirt road beat the crap out of him.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I really want to get a chip for my truck. I would like a chip that you doesn't require a 4" exhaust upgrade, cuz I don't plan on keeping the truck, but would like more POWER for the interim.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The fireplace project is going slow. I hope to get the tile cut and installed on the wall tonight. I hope to be finished with the project by Thursday or Friday. Then, I need to build a new back porch, work on my ATV's, fix a light on my ATV trailer, clean my garage, beat the dog, checkout Dancingqueen's photo page, touch-up paint around the house, build a sandbox for the kiddies, re-coat my 5th wheel roof, checkout Dancingqueen's photo page again, harass you guys, .... gees, no rest for the wicked.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

IIRC 1998 was the first year of the current Super Duty body style. Before they were "Heavy Duty" and the Ford Superduty was actually the F-450 (we have a '94. 460 Gas. First year for the Powerstroke and was only available with a 5 speed manual.)

I believe in 1999.5 model year updates were done on the 7.3L PSD. This was probably when they added the intercooler. That's the final incarnation of the 7.3L PSD. Powerstroke01 knows a bit more about them than I do. Maybe he'll chime in on the thread.

The mechanic friend was only checking the flash level in the EPROM for the ECU (or whatever they are calling it.) "Flashing" is when they actually reprogram the EPROM. Not when some chick shows. Don't ask digruntled 6.0L PSD owners about dealers flashing them. They got free oil changes so Ford could flash the ECUs without the owners permission/knowledge. And they won't move them back a revision if it jacks things up. The small electronic tool is just a Scan Tool. It picks up and displays the codes from when you get a CEL (Check Engine Light) that tells the mechanic what's wrong with the vehicle. It also allows them to reset the code so the CEL doesn't show again unless it's another error.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Quad Patrol

WW, I've recovered a drowning victim from the base of a class V waterfall. It was awesome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was scared at first[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but, when I could recover from the low end dam effect.I went right to the base. It was great. My greatest dives have been while I was on our dive team[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Used to run the Stanislaus River and Tuolumne River. Last time I rafted the Stanislaus, I was in a Zodiac doing river rescues. Again, one of the great perks of being a boating safety officer and swiftwater certified[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Base jump, hhmmm, I'm thinking about someday doing a parachute jump with the wife. Funny, the Army tried to get me to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and I refused, not once, but twice. I was one of very few legs(non-jumpers) with an Airborne Company. Now, I'm thinking about paying someone to push me out of an airplane[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I also enjoyed rapelling[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
If your thinking about a chip. You can put a 60 hp chip in it and you should (will)be alright without the exhaust. My brother just put the 60 hp, "edge" in his '02 F250 and hasn't changed anything else yet. When you sell the truck, remove the chip, the truck reprograms itself back to factory settings. If the chip doesn't fit in your new truck, then sell the chip on e-bay . Tommy, this would work for you too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I don't think Ford made a F250 and above in 1998. Of course, I could be wrong, (wife tells me all the time I am[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) Anyways, All I know for sure is, I drove a 1997 F250 diesel and about died when I felt the lack of power compared to the intercooler model.

Daughter and I finished grouting the new BBQ we built. It sure did take us long enough. Almost 2 months[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, it's looking good. I'll post pictures in a few days. I still need to make 2 drawers for it. WW, your honey-do list looks very similiar to mine. Your wife probably took the same class as mine, Wife 101 with a minor in honey-do lists[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 06:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to brag guys, but mine's way,way BIGGER (the list i mean). yes ww, I have ZERO interest in your adrenalin junkie junkets. BASE jumping is an acronym for Building, Antenna, Span, Earth. antenna is like a radio tower, span is bridge, earth is like a cliff. what? you get it? sorry. BTW, 3 of the jumps are illegal in most places. but being the rogue extremist you are, I'm sure that will only encourage you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I realize now since you can't even come close to outwitting me, you've resorted to insinuating I'm a yeller chicken because i won't engage in the extreme adrenalin sports[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] . That's how I've survived this long. Yep, those 9 American tourists were sure brave when they went on a whitewater rafting adventure on the Elaho River near Squamish/Whistler. They went through a section called the Devil's Elbow and 5-7 died. It was about 10 years ago (roughly). The whole industry got raked over the coals for that one (as they should have). I mean no disrespect to the deceased, it was a real tragedy. I just hope none of them got shamed into a situation they didn't want to be in cuz of one buddy's insistence, and then paid the ultimate price (you guys know what I mean?).

I think I might be able to handle something a little more liesurely but I don't need to prove anything to anyone. And I've learned not to get shamed or goaded into things I don't feel comfortable doing. I can handle the shaming and being called names. I guess I made up for it playing hockey, lacrosse, football and rugby. Come to think of it, i used to be such a skinny little runt back then, i got pummelled in all those sports (when they could catch me)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

okay, now clarify something here guys.Are there only 5 classes of rapids for the purpose of actually trying to go through them? My buddy is a Forester and sorta like ww. I remember him giving me a description of the varoius levels. he got to the last 1 or 2 and said no one could do them. I remember he said one class was considered, "certain death". Am I drunk again, cuz I'm sure i remember that "certain death" definition.

hey, I saw the Colorado river when we were in Laughlin,Nev. Pretty place. But you're right, i believe those @#$% rotten Californians have a master plan to drain it.

hey ww, boyfriend (rescue) is correct about the 60 HP chip. No other mods needed. One suggestion on that: secure it with Red Green's (another legendary Canadian) favorite tool : duct tape. I found on all the rough roads we go on, it shakes a wee bit loose, hardly noticeable except the performance gets really wierd like stalling at 20mph. Put duct tape around chip in both directions, and it holds it in place. And you can easily remove it if you need to and vehicle reverts back to normal operation.

wow, those are pretty cheap for the rockets. As usual, we're like cows being led to the slaughterhouse here in Canada. just don't know any better, so we go along with whatever. I guess that's the price of universal healthcare.

BTW pal, i was with ya on the new forum but we got out-voted by the masses. But if you do jump off the cliff, just promise not to use a chute and i'll video and get ya on one of those "ya gotta see this " shows. rescue can be on scrape patrol.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Hey, not all of us Californians are like that. It's the damn people from SoCal. Let's see...let's build a big a** city that really doesn't have a water supply...hmmmm...bright. Same with Frisco. Damned up a valley in Yosemite (Hetch Hetchy Res.) and move water across the state. The Valley here mainly uses a ton of water to grow food, damn farmers. Oughtta shoot em all I say. j/k. Wait...I think DQ's papa is a farmer/rancherdairyman. It's funny when the CA Acquiduct has more water flowing south to LA than the San Joaquin River does up here. I went to Los Banos yesterday and there wasn't any water at 152. I guess there might have been some at 99. Those are highways for our foreign or non-CA friends. Rescue should be familiar with them.

This thread has turned into our own private little thread almost. LOL.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel