Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

These were the old style 9.6V that had the long stick style batteries.
Yep, that's what mine was, the 12v one was elongated too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] but, had a wider base[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] that went half way up the stick.
We had one of those at the shop. It was a Shop Only drill. Used it mainly for running wire (8 AWG max down to like #22/2 (22 AWG, 2 wire)) through the wire meter when crediting for jobs. After a few years it finally burned up. We'd run it until it was too hot to touch. LOL. Figure pull the trigger for up to 3 minutes solid without a break. The big stuff we'd bust out the 1/2" Milwaukee Hole Hawg for. Now we have a Wemco for the really big stuff.

Now we've got a big 18V Mikita for that. And it's earned it's keep.

I know what you're talking about on the cost of the Milwaukee batts. I'm usually the one to go pick up stuff like that. Figure $70-100 for an 18V.
I paid $69 at home depot for an extra battery (that is now dead[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]) they originally wanted $80[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] told them Lowes had it for $69, so they matched the price. Might have to compare the two places again.
$69 seams pretty good. Have you checked OSH? Seems like they are the only place around here that ever has the batts in stock.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

$69 seams pretty good. Have you checked OSH? Seems like they are the only place around here that ever has the batts in stock.
No and I was just there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Seeing I won't be buying more then one anytime soon, I've have to check them out.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone remember who it was that made cordless tools that also was able to plug into the wall? Now there is a concept I can buy into[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Battery goes dead, recharge it and still be able to do your work.

not sure, but a couple of friends recently bought flashlights with no batteries, you just wind em up (like piezo-electric), and they hold a charge for awhile. they got 'em from Costco.

my friend works on prison door installations. he told me about a sale on cobalt drill bits (at our equivalent to Harbor Freight), and to go buy some. These bits are awesome for drilling steel. they look sorta heat-scored when ya buy them (sorta purple/blue/yellow), but they are the BEST drill bits I've ever used on thick steel. Buddy said they'll never dull for a recreational/home use guy, and they definitely cut down on the drilling time. I saw some in Home Depot when I visited my uncle in WA State. you can buy individual sizes. Give 'em a try.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Quad Patrol

So what your sying Confused is the drill bits sold at Harbor Freight are cobalt made? And are decent quality[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

So what your sying Confused is the drill bits sold at Harbor Freight are cobalt made? And are decent quality[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
our equivalent to HF is called Princess Auto. It started as kinda a surplus store selling mostly to farmers. now they buy containers of junky stuff from China and sell it. I went to HF in WA State, and they did NOT have ANY cobalt bits! but if they do get some, you'll prolly get a set cheap. these are WWAAAYYY better than the titanium coated bits.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Quad Patrol

They have the Cobalt bits at Home Depot, I thought you knew the bits at Harbor Freight (don't remember name) were made by Cobalt, just sold under a different name. You are right, I haven't had any luck with the titanium bits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] they stink.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Quad Patrol

Ned, when you going to send in a request to get your old name up and running?

Old 12-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

They have the Cobalt bits at Home Depot, I thought you knew the bits at Harbor Freight (don't remember name) were made by Cobalt, just sold under a different name. You are right, I haven't had any luck with the titanium bits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] they stink.
oops, cobalt is the material or style of bit, not a brand name. buy a 3/8" bit, or some other common size from Home Depot. try it out on some thicker/hard metal, and see what you think. IIRC, they also have a small set for under $20. i think one larger size bit is $5-10.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

that is because ANY bit that is "coated" have junk steel underneath. At one of my jobs I used to take about 500 drill bits a month to a local sharpener, if a bit was coated, he threw them in the trash. In my own use in my garage, the coated ones are the only ones I can afford so they work pretty good, but if you get them hot, trash it!

Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

i thot i had asked for my old ID back. but if I get a name change, I'd really like canucklehead.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel