Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Blame the US. First we blamed them, now they are blaming us.

(Yes, I watched South Park the Movie. I admit it...IT SUCKED @SS!)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: nedflanders
Originally posted by: rescuediver
They have the Cobalt bits at Home Depot, I thought you knew the bits at Harbor Freight (don't remember name) were made by Cobalt, just sold under a different name. You are right, I haven't had any luck with the titanium bits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] they stink.
oops, cobalt is the material or style of bit, not a brand name. buy a 3/8" bit, or some other common size from Home Depot. try it out on some thicker/hard metal, and see what you think. IIRC, they also have a small set for under $20. i think one larger size bit is $5-10.
Hhmmm, for some reason[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] cobalt struck me as being a name brand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] don't know why[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
They have the Cobalt bits at Home Depot, I thought you knew the bits at Harbor Freight (don't remember name) were made by Cobalt, just sold under a different name. You are right, I haven't had any luck with the titanium bits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] they stink.
that is because ANY bit that is "coated" have junk steel underneath. At one of my jobs I used to take about 500 drill bits a month to a local sharpener, if a bit was coated, he threw them in the trash. In my own use in my garage, the coated ones are the only ones I can afford so they work pretty good, but if you get them hot, trash it!
I did not know that. Seeing I work with metal more the wood[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'll have to try cobalt bits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Quad Patrol

i thot i had asked for my old ID back. but if I get a name change, I'd really like canucklehead.
To bad canucklehead hasn't been on since "Last Visited On: Sun April 24, 2005 10:27 AM" He's taking up your perfectly good name[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Maybe you can change it around a letter or two[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and get rid of nedthefiddlefarterman[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2005, 02:11 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Blame the US. First we blamed them, now they are blaming us.

(Yes, I watched South Park the Movie. I admit it...IT SUCKED @SS!)
Yep, it's our fault they have poverty, gangs and teenagers with to much time on their hands[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] As long as they won't admit there is a gang problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] there will always be a gang problem. We went through that years ago, now it's public knowledge WE HAVE A GANG PROBLEM[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and along with gangs come problems, including the ones with guns.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Air Cooled Rider

oops, cobalt is the material or style of bit, not a brand name. buy a 3/8" bit, or some other common size from Home Depot. try it out on some thicker/hard metal, and see what you think. IIRC, they also have a small set for under $20. i think one larger size bit is $5-10.
Hhmmm, for some reason[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] cobalt struck me as being a name brand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] don't know why[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Cobalt is a brand or line of Irwin.

Ask Irwin
Q: Are Irwin cobalt drill bits coated like the titanium ones? If the cobalt bits are rockwell hardness 66 - 67 HRc, what hardness are the titanium bits? Once you sharpen a cobalt bit and the gold coating is gone, is it just a regular bit?
A: Cobalt bits are not coated, they are cobalt steel through and through. At the end of manufacture a cobalt bit is baked in an oven to turn the surface color of the steel a dull gold color. This is done primarily for easy identification by color. If the gold wears off or is ground off in sharpening on a cobalt bit, it is still solid cobalt steel. Our cobalt drill bits are made of M42 cobalt steel which has 8 percent cobalt content. The Rockwell is approximately 65.5 to 67 Rockwell C. Irwin titanium drill bits have a hardness of approximately 64.5 to 65.5 Rockwell C. The titanium coating is much harder at approximately 82 Rockwell C. If you sharpen a cobalt bit it is still as good as a new bit, assuming it was sharpened correctly. If you sharpen a titanium bit its performance will drop because the coating is gone on the tip; however, you still have the benefit of the titanium coating in the flute of the bit and on the sides of the bit. It will still perform better than a standard bit.
And now you know....

And The More You Know....

Old 12-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Yep, it's our fault they have poverty, gangs and teenagers with to much time on their hands[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] As long as they won't admit there is a gang problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] there will always be a gang problem. We went through that years ago, now it's public knowledge WE HAVE A GANG PROBLEM[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and along with gangs come problems, including the ones with guns.
Of course they don't realize that "Gun Control" means using both hands. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Quad Patrol

Cobalt is a brand or line of Irwin.

Ask Irwin
Q: Are Irwin cobalt drill bits coated like the titanium ones? If the cobalt bits are rockwell hardness 66 - 67 HRc, what hardness are the titanium bits? Once you sharpen a cobalt bit and the gold coating is gone, is it just a regular bit?
A: Cobalt bits are not coated, they are cobalt steel through and through. At the end of manufacture a cobalt bit is baked in an oven to turn the surface color of the steel a dull gold color. This is done primarily for easy identification by color. If the gold wears off or is ground off in sharpening on a cobalt bit, it is still solid cobalt steel. Our cobalt drill bits are made of M42 cobalt steel which has 8 percent cobalt content. The Rockwell is approximately 65.5 to 67 Rockwell C. Irwin titanium drill bits have a hardness of approximately 64.5 to 65.5 Rockwell C. The titanium coating is much harder at approximately 82 Rockwell C. If you sharpen a cobalt bit it is still as good as a new bit, assuming it was sharpened correctly. If you sharpen a titanium bit its performance will drop because the coating is gone on the tip; however, you still have the benefit of the titanium coating in the flute of the bit and on the sides of the bit. It will still perform better than a standard bit.
And now you know....

And The More You Know....

Aahhhh, it's all starting to make sense[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL! Thanks for the information[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Quad Patrol

Of course they don't realize that "Gun Control" means using both hands. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LOL!

Old 12-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Quad Patrol

We didn't take any pictures while at the Miami Trails. But we did get some good shots at Carnegie[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] they should be up shortly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel