Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

I've had some prety good weather here in St. Louis this week but I'm ready to go home tonight[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Can't wait to see the family and sleep in my own bed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Not a bad hotel but this city is a not as nice as SD at night. Just don't feel safe around here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Trasher
I've had some prety good weather here in St. Louis this week but I'm ready to go home tonight[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Can't wait to see the family and sleep in my own bed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Not a bad hotel but this city is a not as nice as SD at night. Just don't feel safe around here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
As much as your on the road[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I can see why you miss your bed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Especially with another warm female body next to you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] not the ewe (Hoss's style) next to you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just something about that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] or maybe, it's getting a hand full every other time you roll over[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Quad Patrol

Well, off to met MWQ at Carnegie, hope you guys have a safe weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] MD

Old 05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Well, off to met MWQ at Carnegie, hope you guys have a safe weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] MD
How was the riding? I haven't in a long time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] My little guy can't wait to go but he has another week before his cast comes off

Old 05-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Hello???? Anybody home???

Hoss much really have his hands full with the baby or he's out driving a new PSD [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
No PSD yet. I've been too busy to go to the big city. I'm hoping to trade-up in a few weeks.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

What's the story on your tranny? (and I'm not talking about your resent sex change operation) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had two 2001 F-350's with the 7.3 diesel. They are trucks that I owned in my company and neither one did much pulling and hauling on a regular basis. I ended up having to replace the transmission in both trucks. One at 80k miles and one at 140k miles. It was very disappointing. However, I will say that besides the transmissions I never had any significant trouble with either vehicle. I replaced both one with a 2005 F-350 with the 6.0 and a 2004 F-250 with the 6.0. Ford has had some problems with the '03 and '04 6.0 engines. In fact, I just traded the 2004 F-250 on an '06 F-250 because Ford was offering big rebates to owners of '03 and '04 6.0's due to the trouble they were having. I didn't have any trouble with the '04 and had about 50k on it when I traded. The rebates were just too good to pass up. As stated by someone else, the main difference between 7.3 and the 6.0 trucks is in the transmission. The 6.0 are way smoother than the older trannys. From my experience the only concern I would have with purchasing an older 7.3 would be the transmission. The engine is a work horse.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I don't think the HD tranny prior to the TorqueShift was Ford's strong point. Our '94 F-450 with a 460 is on #3. First 2 went right at about 60K. But then again, "abused" would probably be a good descriptor. Usually when that truck leaves the shop it's either hauling something out, or going to bring stuff back.

Ran a light load of pipe up to Merced. Such a waste. 120' of 5" PVC 60+ miles. OUCH. Gas bill was $80+, but one of the tanks was down 1/2, so that's like 3/4 of a single tank.

On that note anyone ever get inspected? I got waived over at the Chowchilla River Station (MD, LJ and maybe MWQ knows it) for a looksee. Everything was ok and I was back on my way. Truck was weighed at a little over 7300lb. Considering she's 15K GVWR...very light load.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Which one? driving in figure 8's or mud slingin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The figure eight part. I bought a 4X4 to get me out of trouble not into. I let My KTM and CR 500 get me into trouble. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Did you ever get a chance to see if this worked out?

Old 05-09-2006, 01:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Which one? driving in figure 8's or mud slingin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The figure eight part. I bought a 4X4 to get me out of trouble not into. I let My KTM and CR 500 get me into trouble. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Did you ever get a chance to see if this worked out?
I didnt find room to do figure eights but did some sort of figure 6's. I didnt notice it chattering on my trip to carnegie to meet RD saturday. You are a genius Trasher!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel