Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
And i still dont see the difference between LO and HI4wd. I though it was just gear reduction??? At least thats how it is on the jeep.
The idea is to keep the tires from spinning. You're going to get more torque down, but it's the spinning that you're avoiding. Allows you to slowly spool up the motor. Get 'er moving then you can get into the power progressively to gain more speed.

Remember what happened when we got stuck...I said throw it in low and the truck moved forward (although not THAT far, but it still did.) 4Hi was just spinning. I know Karyn runs around in 4Lo on the beach. Of course those MTs help out a huge amount.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
The big ticket is to get that trailer floating on the sand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Have you ever watch someone struggling moving their trailer on the sand? They more often then not[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] haven't aired down the trailer tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] then it's just one big sled pushing loads of sand in front of the wheels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Very few people air down the trailer as well. They think it will cause it to be worse. It increases rolling resistance do to a large contact patch, but that is what you want...large contact patch means a lower weight per given square inch of tire and sand. The sand, depending on conditions, can carry X psi before it gives way. The idea is to have less psi on the contact patch than the sands psi carrying ability.

Though I've actually seen someone pulling in a trailer with a bead off on the trailer because they went too low.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
LJ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] got stuck up at 45 frnt/40 rear. Told him LOWER...but NO! So HE had to get pulled by a 6.0L GMC gasser.

Most of the people I know who tow onto the sand at Pismo (though it's a bit more packed and not as soft) run about 20psi (Karyn, mstrquad, Suzie & MD can elaborate more on what they run as I'm in a different situation.)

I've been running 12 front / 10 rear at Pismo in my trucks. 2WD though. That was fine in the Sonoma, but I'm thinking it's a bit low for the F-150. Taller sidewall, but still a P-rated tire. I think the sidewall is too soft for that. Maybe after we switch to LTs I can go back that low. Next time I'm thinking I'm going to run 15-20. The truck just felt like it was moving around on the sidewalls. The tracks were straight but the truck was twisting.

When I just go on the beach for the day pulling my 16 ft trailer. I don't touch the air in my tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just put it in 4lo to get where I'm going[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] However, if I'm fully loaded, camp trailer with quads in the bed. I will go down to around 20 lbs maybe 15 if the sand is really loose. Don't want to go to low, you run the risk of driving of the wheels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Not a good thing. My friend who has a 37 foot WW lowers his tires to 15 lbs religiosly. He very rarely needs help getting out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just go 4lo and slow[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] No spin tires, when youdo that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] you just bury the truck to the frame[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And then, only way to move again is to get pulled out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And the last thing youwant to see is a GMC gasser pulling your PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Especially when they post about it on the internet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
I've heard or read that somewhere before[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] about the weight ****[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Yes, those are the same points I keep thinking about, when I try to rationalize between the two. I just like the roomyness in a 5ver over a pull[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Plus all that weight over a ball and shaft just doesn't register right with me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Ok...here's the plan...you need to win the Lotto (or Mega Millions as that actually starts tonight). Anyways... you tell the wife she gets that nice new 40' 5er TH (or bigger if you can swing it on length...I think they count them like the big rigs and you can go to 53' with no more than 40' king pin to rear axle) but you have to get the truck to go with it. See if you can find an MDT with a nice CAT, Benz or Cummins with 4WD.

Oc course then you'll also be able to get your hopped up golf cart for the dunes too. Get a custom built stacker trailer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And your daughter can get your 250 since she wants that. She just isn't allowed to drive south of hmmm Merced works, maybe 152...if we get a warning. LOL.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Quad Patrol

Though I've actually seen someone pulling in a trailer with a bead off on the trailer because they went too low.

See above post[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] 15 lbs would be around my max as far as how low I would go. Then, I wouldn't turn to abrubtly, might just peel that tire right off the bead[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Quad Patrol

Ok...here's the plan...you need to win the Lotto (or Mega Millions as that actually starts tonight). Anyways... you tell the wife she gets that nice new 40' 5er TH (or bigger if you can swing it on length...I think they count them like the big rigs and you can go to 53' with no more than 40' king pin to rear axle) but you have to get the truck to go with it. See if you can find an MDT with a nice CAT, Benz or Cummins with 4WD.
I boycott the Lotto. I do not believe in it. It was a farce[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]They just added the schools to it, just so they could get it to pass by the law makers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] However, my family tells me "IF" I ever buy a ticket[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I'm sure to be the winner.

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarriorOc course then you'll also be able to get your hopped up golf cart for the dunes too. Get a custom built stacker trailer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Next couple of years or so[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] It will happen, well at least the golf cart will[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If I find one for the right price, it might just find it's way to my house[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarriorAnd your daughter can get your 250 since she wants that. She just isn't allowed to drive south of hmmm Merced works, maybe 152...if we get a warning. LOL.

LMAO

That was good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

I wonder where the confused one is hiding? Maybe out wrenching of the mighty PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Quad Patrol

I was thinking the samething[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Hope the remedy wasn't to painful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Had a blast running with LJ today. 60 miles always makes a nice day. Course they didn't have the tower open when we go there. lol. Oh well.

Ack...anyone else here get sunburnt? Me...OMG...I walk outside to the mailbox and I'm burning. Ok...not THAT bad. Got toasted last weekend...now I'm freaking pealing! Of course the tan is what's pealing off. I swear...I can't win.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Quad Patrol

Had a blast running with LJ today. 60 miles always makes a nice day. Course they didn't have the tower open when we go there. lol. Oh well.

Ack...anyone else here get sunburnt? Me...OMG...I walk outside to the mailbox and I'm burning. Ok...not THAT bad. Got toasted last weekend...now I'm freaking pealing! Of course the tan is what's pealing off. I swear...I can't win.
That's quite a few miles you guys put on today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] How were the trails? Was the tower closed due to snow?

I get sun burned too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Last week I almost blistered on the nose[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Need to remember to put sun screen on.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel