Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: Catterman
Hey, that might have been my first post over here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Welcome to the thread[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, I have a PSD question: I just got back from our Easter weekend trip...the tranny idiot light stopped me 6-times (which means it overheated). All I was towing was my 3-ATV's. When I got home, I found a puddle of tranny fluid dripping from the tranny. I checked the fluid several times over the weekend, and it looks okay. I'm at a loss. Could it have overheated and caused a leak? or did the idiot light come on because there may be a problem with the tranny? It drove just fine, but I think I'm ready to trade up.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Whitewater
Hey guys, I have a PSD question: I just got back from our Easter weekend trip...the tranny idiot light stopped me 6-times (which means it overheated). All I was towing was my 3-ATV's. When I got home, I found a puddle of tranny fluid dripping from the tranny. I checked the fluid several times over the weekend, and it looks okay. I'm at a loss. Could it have overheated and caused a leak? or did the idiot light come on because there may be a problem with the tranny? It drove just fine, but I think I'm ready to trade up.
I question about a PSD- How rare is that

No vehicle should be dripping anything except water from the ac vent tube from condensation forming from the system running. Where was it coming from? It might have been coming from the vent tube as the fluid got hot and puked out the vent and dripped off the side of the case. Check it out and let us know where.

If it's a mess under there, you might want to clean it off with a pressure sprayer and then see where it's coming from for sure. Could be many things (front pump seal, shifter seal, etc) but the light coming on gets me thinking that something is wrong inside the case.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: WhitewaterIt drove just fine, but I think I'm ready to trade up.
Sounds terminal. You should get a new one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Question is, will wifey buy that reasoning?

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I have been thinking of getting a 1 ton truck. I have been thinking Cummins Diesel.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I have been thinking of getting a 1 ton truck. I have been thinking Cummins Diesel.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] In driving around parts of New Mexico, I see a lot of Dodges with the 6 speed/ Cummins match running around. I mean a lot[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I have talked to a couple of owners and they love 'em[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Most were pulling a huge load that I talked to

Old 04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well fellers, it looks like the torque converter (maybe). I had the codes read today (tranny over-temp). The tranny guy told me that it is prolly the converter...we will see. It's going into the shop tomorrow.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Did you feel it shift harder or softer when the convertor locks up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] It might have been coming apart inside, over heated the fluid (which puked out the vent) and/or burnt the front pump seal. Get the Mastercard out brother[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

It runs great. I haven't noticed any difference in shifting behavior. I've been pricing new converters...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] They are very expensive ($1,300 bucks)....and that's just for the converter; that doesn't include labor. Wifey and I want to $hit can this truck, and get a newer one, but I'm so hesitant on the 6.0. I think I would prolly buy a 2005 or 2006...that is if I could afford one. Sheesh...I'm not going to spend 45-50K on a truck.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sure you will[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I fact, if I had your kinda money, I'd buy two[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] His and hers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel